Raspberry Pi 400

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zrpmarques

Raspberry Pi 400

Post by zrpmarques »

Hi all,

I use LMDE for my LINUX experiments. I am not a heavy or skilled user. (I have used mac os since 2007)

I am now playing and demonstrating that the Raspberry Pi 400 is a great desktop machine and I am using it with Debian.

I much enjoy myself a lot more if I was using it with LMDE.

I believe that if here LMDE was available for Pi 400 (4), it would very much used. (ubuntu is too heavy)

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Raspberry Pi 400

Post by Termy »

If you want LMDE to work on a Pi, all you should need to do is install an ARM kernel. Granted, there's probably going to be more to it than that.

One thing you could try is to use another computer with x86_64 architecture, plug in your Pi storage device on which you want LMDE, just do a standard install of LMDE on the Pi's storage device, log into it, install a suitable (generic?) ARM kernel, but keep the other one as a fallback, then give that a go in the Pi. If it works, you can do the proper configurations from thereon.

Alternatively, hack the ISO, chroot(8) into it and install the ARM kernel; dunno how well that'd work, but in theory it should. I sometimes have to install kernels after using chroot(8) if I'm repairing a system or something. I tend to have just the one kernel installed at any one time, or at least I used to, before staying on the edge of what is the current stable over at kernel.org.

One last option I can offer you here is to use something like Debian's `mini.iso` (network installer) to set it up yourself, adding Mint stuff as you go, using Mint's repositories. Just don't expect support here for that in any 'official' capacity. This would be time-consuming and probably not enjoyable, though.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Hardware Support”