Cinnamon crash and nvidia driver not loaded after kernel update [solved]

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bpeary
Level 2
Level 2

Cinnamon crash and nvidia driver not loaded after kernel update [solved]

Post by bpeary »

Was running LMDE4 with kernel 4.19.0-14-amd64, Nvidia Geforce 210 card and Nvidia-supplied driver 340 (as I have done through several versions of LMDE as well as in Mint).

Update manager offered kernel 4.19.0-16-amd64. After reboot cinnamon crashes to fallback. Nvidia indicates I am not using the Nvidia driver, suggests running nvidia-xconfig, but 'command not found'.

Suggestions will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Cinnamon crash and nvidia driver not loaded after kernel update

Post by AZgl1800 »

get into Grub as the PC is booting up, and select the previous Kernel.

if that works, then maybe you need to just wait until a newer kernel is released.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
bpeary
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bpeary »

Sounds like good advice.

I tried purging nvidia to revert to nouveau -- that solved the cinnamon problem, but then my virtualbox wouldn't start, saying I was missing the correct linux headers.

Fortunately I've learned to make a clonezilla backup before critical updates, so I've simple reinstalled my 4.19.0-14-amd64 system where everything works.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Is nouveau blacklisted to allow the nv driver to work?

Also, virtualbox creates a couple of drivers and a virtualbox update was issued a few days ago.
bpeary
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bpeary »

I managed to get this kernel upgrade installed and virtualbox working in the following way:

1. Revert to nouveau from proprietary nvidia drivers (apt purge *nvidia*) and reboot. (I'm not a gamer, so don't really need nvidia.)

2. Install the kernel upgrade and reboot.

3. Start virtualbox -- get errors.

4. Run sudo dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-6.0, which failed, but told me which headers were missing.

5. Install the two missing headers via synaptic (Linux-headers-4.19.0-16-amd64 and linux-headers-amd64)

6. Re-ran sudo dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-6.0 which successfully configured virtualbox.

So why didn't the upgrade install the headers in the first place?

Return to “Hardware Support”