Random popping sound, common fix didn't work for me

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mihajlopetkovic2003
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Random popping sound, common fix didn't work for me

Post by mihajlopetkovic2003 »

MrEen wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:32 am The only other ideas I have at present is to unplug any USB you can and test the sound. Also try with WiFi turned off. I've seen these interfere with sound before, so it's worth checking.
I've disabled PulseEffects and rebooted my laptop and the pops are gone! PulseEffects seems to be causing them. Disabling WiFi and Bluetooth has no effects. Yesterday I was experimenting by changing priority in PulseEffects to Real Time and the pops disappeared until I rebooted the system, and even though the priority stayed the same (Real Time), the pops appeared again. Changing priority to some other value and setting it back to Real Time didn't eliminate the pops. It only worked for once. Before that, the priority in PulseEffects was set to None.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Ahh, you've reminded me of another change that may help.

See this post and try what's there: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=306733&p=1752180&h ... y#p1752180

Reboot afterwards and try with and without PE to see if there's any change.
mihajlopetkovic2003
Level 1
Level 1

MrEen wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:01 pm Ahh, you've reminded me of another change that may help.

See this post and try what's there: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=306733&p=1752180&h ... y#p1752180

Reboot afterwards and try with and without PE to see if there's any change.
I applied what you stated in the topic. With PE I get pops, without it I do not, as I said previously. Now my question is why does PE cause pops? I'm not really keen on abandoning PE and going to some other equilizer app since PE has so many options and is well designed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Well, it appears to be an issue only with PE. What version is and how did you install PE? If the version is 5.0 or greater, looks like you need to also install PipeWire.
mihajlopetkovic2003
Level 1
Level 1

MrEen wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:49 pm Well, it appears to be an issue only with PE. What version is and how did you install PE? If the version is 5.0 or greater, looks like you need to also install PipeWire.

Code: Select all

mihajlo@mihajlo-laptop:~$ apt version pulseeffects 
4.7.3-1~bpo10+1
I installed it by running

Code: Select all

sudo apt install pulseeffects
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Okay, it came from the buster-backports repo according to this site: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pulseeffects

I have no idea how strictly Debian based stuff works, but I wonder if one of the other versions on that page would work better for you. And why is there no stable branch version? One of the newer versions from testing might be what you need. Do you have any idea how to accomplish that? And anybody else out there that knows, please feel free to chime in.
mihajlopetkovic2003
Level 1
Level 1

MrEen wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:37 pm Okay, it came from the buster-backports repo according to this site: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pulseeffects

I have no idea how strictly Debian based stuff works, but I wonder if one of the other versions on that page would work better for you. And why is there no stable branch version? One of the newer versions from testing might be what you need. Do you have any idea how to accomplish that? And anybody else out there that knows, please feel free to chime in.
In the mean time, if I disable PE my microphone gain changes automatically based on sound. If I stop speaking, it goes to 100%, if I speak, it drops. Can I disable that? With PE on, mic gain doesn't change.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

That sounds like an app is doing that. Zoom and Skype for example have settings to control (or not) the microphone volume. Were you using one of those when this happened?
mihajlopetkovic2003
Level 1
Level 1

Google Meet.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

If you go into the settings (click on the cog wheel at the top of the page) is there any settings for the microphone there?
mihajlopetkovic2003
Level 1
Level 1

After experimenting a bit more, I found out that it is not directly PulseEffects which is causing my sound to pop and crackle on pausing & playing back and randomly in the middle of the song, it is rather PulseAudio which is causing me issues. I disabled PulseEffects but left PulseAudio enabled on startup and I still got those pops. Can I run PulseEffects without PulseAudio or do I strictly need it to run on the system i.e. PulseEffects depends on PulseAudio to work?
Attachments
Disabled PulseEffects but PulseAudio left enabled
Disabled PulseEffects but PulseAudio left enabled
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Try deleting the files in /home/YourUserName/.config/pulse (again if you've already done that in the past) then run pulseaudio -k in the terminal. Then test the sound.
mihajlopetkovic2003
Level 1
Level 1

MrEen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:54 pm Try deleting the files in /home/YourUserName/.config/pulse (again if you've already done that in the past) then run pulseaudio -k in the terminal. Then test the sound.
Deleted them, rebooted my laptop and still the same.

Return to “Hardware Support”