LMDE5 Temperature on an old PC

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Danyel3211
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE5 Temperature on an old PC

Post by Danyel3211 »

I m working on a Dell Studio 540, a bit old PC, but it is fine. I tested Una here and it is perfect, as well Mint Debian 4. But something strange is happening with LM5, the PC's temperature running both LM4 and Una is around 55/57 C and while doing something on the net, Youtube or a little game, it could go up to to 75 C but it comes back to around 62 C. While using LibreOffice, it stays around 56/58C. Very nice. But with LM5, the temperature is a little higher, around 60/62, without opening any program. If I open LibreOffice it jumps to 80 and stays there. Also, watching videos and YT, listening to music and so, it stays on 80 C. I must say that the use of the CPUs measured by Top and Htop is the same. Even if the CPUs running at 1.7%, the temperature stays at 80C.
Well, the only difference is that: Una and LM4 are using Nvidia-driver 340 and LM5 just Nouveau. Well, could this difference of temperature being caused by the absence of the Nvidia driver? Or is it due something else?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LM5 Temperature on an old PC

Post by axisofevil »

I'd check for dust on heatsinks & check that fans turn freely, especially CPU fan.
I've run the latest Mint & LMDE5 in VM's on a new PC and neither shows any high temperatures.

I have a low-end nvidia card, but a nouveau driver.
Acheron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Acheron »

If you need to, it is very easy to install the Nvidia drivers in LMDE 5 since the Debian non-free repos are enabled.
If the Linux Nvidia drivers are available for your hardware, it is always best to use them. My experience is less work on the CPU.
Just open a terminal window and type "sudo apt install nvidia-driver"
Reboot and you should be fine.
Kingsport, Tennessee, USA Telegram: @linuxadvocate
Danyel3211
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Danyel3211 »

I checked the dust, but I am also running LM4 in this PC, in another partition, and its temperature is okay, a nice kitten. I love LM4 :)

Now, I am thinking of install Nvidia, but the drive I need it is the 340, the PC is old, and it isn't in the repositories. I guess this PC is getting indeed old for the LM5 or Debian 11, what I cant understand it is: the CPU usage in the LM4 and 5 it is the same, sometimes 1.4 checked using Top while writing and listening to the music, but the LM4's temperature is just 58 C and LM5's 80 C.
Thanks for your help, guys :)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE5 Temperature on an old PC

Post by SMG »

Please include your system information for LMDE5. And since you are comparing to LMDE4, you should also include the information for it as well.

You can give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code tags and paste the results of the command between the code tags [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: LMDE5 Temperature on an old PC

Post by MiZoG »

Nouveau is not handling your gpu well. A reasonable explanation based on the information provided.
This page describes a workaround to install legacy 340.x drives on Bullseye (LMDE5).

Return to “Hardware Support”