Touchpad not working on Lenovo 300w Gen 3

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
user117
Level 1
Level 1

Touchpad not working on Lenovo 300w Gen 3

Post by user117 »

Hi everybody, this is my first post

So I have this https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/le ... 2ED03W3WA3

Host: 82J1 Lenovo 300w Gen 3
Kernel: 5.10.0-15-amd64

Everything is working out of the box, from bluetooth to wifi to touch screen to sound card... Except for the touchpad '-____- I didn't expect this one, I expected the soundcard or the wifi to be eventually a pain, but not the touchpad, that's a first for me...

I've looked around for the past couple of days and haven't found this issue mentioned anywhere, maybe because no linuxian is using this machine which evidently comes with windows pre-installed

So long story short, first question: Since drivers are in the kernel, is it a good idea to upgrade to the latest kernel (5.18.7)? Is it safe? And if so, how should I proceed?

Second question: is there a better alternative?
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Touchpad not working on Lenovo 300w Gen 3

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please see the touchpad section
.https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_una_cinnamon.php
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
user117
Level 1
Level 1

Post by user117 »

grep -i "Using input driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 7.573] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
[ 7.627] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Video Bus'
[ 7.646] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
[ 7.691] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Integrated Camera 5M: Integrate'
[ 7.754] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Integrated Camera: Integrated C'
[ 7.823] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Ideapad extra buttons'
[ 7.856] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'ELAN901C:00 04F3:2D2B'
[ 7.899] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'ELAN901C:00 04F3:2D2B Stylus'
[ 8.006] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[ 8.122] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Integrated Camera: Integrated C'
[ 8.232] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'ELAN901C:00 04F3:2D2B'
[ 24.318] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Wireless Controller Touchpad'
[ 309.922] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Logitech USB Optical Mouse'

I have tried "apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics" a couple of days ago, but it didn't change anything, so I "apt remove --purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptics" afterward
jnetman1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jnetman1 »

I have one of these too with the same problem. The ELAN901C is the touchscreen, which is detected properly. ELAN0642, which only shows up in sysfs under the ACPI bus is actually the touchpad. hid_multitouch doesn't see it, nor do any of the elan_i2c driver modules. My guess is that it isn't returning any of the typical flags that indicate it is a touchpad or mouse, so it doesn't get picked up by any of the generic "by vendor id" drivers, like hid_multitouch. There is an ACPI error at startup, which may have something to do with it and may indicate a BIOS issue: ACPI BIOS Erroe (bug): Failure creating named object [\VDAT], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20211217/dsfield-637)
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I would enter BIOS at boot and see if you could find any touchpad settings.
You could also try a previous kernel or a newer one.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
TrueGemuese
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TrueGemuese »

I have the same problem. I checked my BIOS, no touchpad options.
I have tried to install both synaptics and evdev, but contrary to what the Linux Mint website tells me, they didn't get automatically selected, and I don't know how to manually change the driver. I thought about trying to uninstall libinput, but I fear this could break my system.
Oh, and this isn't the fault of my KDE Plasma Desktop. The system originally ran MATE and nothing worked there either.
(I wanted to post precise system information here, but for some reason I cant find the menu.)
  • Linux Mint 21, the newest version at time of posting
  • Kernel 5.15.0-47-generic
  • The Computer is an Akoya E7226T (Laptop from 2014, originally running Windows 8)
    I can't find any more precise information about it online.
Any idea how to manually change the driver?

Edit: The Synaptics Driver does not work, since I have no driver now, I am going to set up a new system, wanted to try Dualboot with Windows 10 anyway. Problem will probably stay, will edit again to tell you.
Foolz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Foolz »

I can confirm that Kernel > 5.15 should work. I have manjaro setup with this exact laptop.
Nothing essential has any problems whatsoever including the Touchpad. so they may have something else in the user space. may have to do with some auto locking features. just suggestions on where to look.

Now, when you say, "everything" is work. Do you get the accolemeter working? or even detected? This sensor would allow the system to rotate automatically (at least you can set it up to be) when you flip the screen. It is a module inside the screen assembly. but I don't want to tear this cute little laptop apart.

Let me know if this part is working on your system, or have any information about it other than the part number.

Help that shine some light to your problem, and thanks for the help as well.
krcrouse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krcrouse »

Foolz wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:22 am I can confirm that Kernel > 5.15 should work. I have manjaro setup with this exact laptop.
Interesting. I have tried both Ubuntu and Manjaro, and even compiled my own 5.19 kernel based on another post. None of these detects the trackpad on the 300w Gen 3 - which is frustrating since the touchscreen and accelerometer work fine.

Which version on Manjaro did you set up?
gigigun1116
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gigigun1116 »

Saw this issue as well and I'm not able to use the touchapd on lenovo 300w Gen3 with Ubuntu, Manjaro and ChormeOS flex.
gigigun1116
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gigigun1116 »

jnetman1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:13 pm I have one of these too with the same problem. The ELAN901C is the touchscreen, which is detected properly. ELAN0642, which only shows up in sysfs under the ACPI bus is actually the touchpad. hid_multitouch doesn't see it, nor do any of the elan_i2c driver modules. My guess is that it isn't returning any of the typical flags that indicate it is a touchpad or mouse, so it doesn't get picked up by any of the generic "by vendor id" drivers, like hid_multitouch. There is an ACPI error at startup, which may have something to do with it and may indicate a BIOS issue: ACPI BIOS Erroe (bug): Failure creating named object [\VDAT], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20211217/dsfield-637)
I guess you're saying CDAT

`ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\CDAT], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20220331/dsfield-637)`

I can see this error as well. There's no touchpad device in /sys/bus/i2c at all.
krcrouse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krcrouse »

Hi all - checking back in here - issue continues for this machine, even with the new 21.1 update (at least the live usb - I didn't do the full install). I don't believe it's related to the `ACPI BIOS Error (bug)` as I've investigated that elsewhere and it is usually a benign UEFI error unrelated to the touchpad.

I've also custom compiled a 6.0 kernel with some parameters I found in other threads, and that doesn't solve it either. I really wish this little compy would work with Linux as it would make for a great go-anywhere machine.

Return to “Hardware Support”