Kernel 5.18: When I insert a flash drive in USB3 port, KB and the mouse hang

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
medhunter
Level 1
Level 1

Kernel 5.18: When I insert a flash drive in USB3 port, KB and the mouse hang

Post by medhunter »

LMDE 5 with Kernel 5.18 Cinnamon

Code: Select all

Inxi: 
CPU: 8-Core AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics (-MT MCP-) 
speed/min/max: 1453/1400/1800 MHz Kernel: 5.18.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 x86_64 
Up: 18m Mem: 3146.7/7374.3 MiB (42.7%) Storage: 476.94 GiB (43.6% used) 
Procs: 338 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.01 
Keyboard: logitech mk330 (no mouse)
Mouse: logitech M590 (own usb dongle and BT)

I did upgrade the Kernel for better hardware support for bluetooth and it got recognized
Issue: Whenever I insert a flash drive in USB3 port, the wireless keyboard and the mouse hang and become unusable or very laggy.
I tried other ports for the 3 devices, tried USBc hub.Tried using bluetooth for the mouse, but in vain.
I tried other flash drives, an external HDD, tried 3.5inch HDD with a dock with its own power supply but still the problem persists
Is this a known issue? or fixable problem?

BTW: I remember having the same problem with other hardware and debian based distros.

Neofetch

.+o++::.      `.:oos+.     OS: LMDE 5 (elsie) x86_64 
   :oo:.`             -+oo:    Host: Modern 14 B5M REV:1.0 
 `+o/`    .::::::-.    .++-`   Kernel: 5.18.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 
`/s/    .yyyyyyyyyyo:   +o-`   Uptime: 1 min 
`so     .ss       ohyo` :s-:   Packages: 2416 (dpkg), 8 (flatpak) 
`s/     .ss  h  m  myy/ /s``   Shell: bash 5.1.4 
`s:     `oo  s  m  Myy+-o:`    Resolution: 2784x1566 
`oo      :+sdoohyoydyso/.      DE: Cinnamon 5.2.7 
 :o.      .:////////++:        WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
 `/++        -:::::-           WM Theme: Jade-1 (Mint-Y) 
  `++-                         Theme: Mint-Y-Dark [GTK2/3] 
   `/+-                        Icons: Mint-X-Dark [GTK2/3] 
     .+/.                      Terminal: gnome-terminal 
       .:+-.                   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics (16) 
          `--.``               GPU: AMD ATI 03:00.0 Lucienne 
                               Memory: 1788MiB / 7374MiB 
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Kernel 5.18: When I insert a flash drive in USB3 port, KB and the mouse hang

Post by antikythera »

My KB and mouse don't hang completely but if I plug something USB3 close to my generic USB2 mouse receiver regardless of it being the other side so as not to block the mouse signal it does take a signal strength hit and starts stuttering until I move it nearer the receiver. My Keyboards are wired though, so maybe that helps.

Have you tried using an extension cable for the receiver to move it away from the other occupied ports? Might not help but it may rule out such interference being the cause. It does if I do that but having a dongle hanging over the side of a PC case isn't something I want to look at day to day so I put up with it :lol:
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
medhunter
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Kernel 5.18: When I insert a flash drive in USB3 port, KB and the mouse hang

Post by medhunter »

antikythera wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:11 am My KB and mouse don't hang completely but if I plug something USB3 close to my generic USB2 mouse receiver regardless of it being the other side so as not to block the mouse signal it does take a signal strength hit and starts stuttering until I move it nearer the receiver. My Keyboards are wired though, so maybe that helps.

Have you tried using an extension cable for the receiver to move it away from the other occupied ports? Might not help but it may rule out such interference being the cause. It does if I do that but having a dongle hanging over the side of a PC case isn't something I want to look at day to day so I put up with it :lol:
This is not exactly what happens to me.
Yet I have tried a USB hub with a cord 30cm long and switched sides of of my devices,still the same problem
medhunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by medhunter »

medhunter wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:21 am LMDE 5 with Kernel 5.18 Cinnamon

Inxi: 

I did upgrade the Kernel for better hardware support for bluetooth and it got recognized
Issue: Whenever I insert a flash drive in USB3 port, the wireless keyboard and the mouse hang and become unusable or very laggy.
I tried other ports for the 3 devices, tried USBc hub.Tried using bluetooth for the mouse, but in vain.
I tried other flash drives, an external HDD, tried 3.5inch HDD with a dock with its own power supply but still the problem persists

BTW: I remember having the same problem with other hardware and debian based distros.

Neofetch

Credit: djph user from IRC chat:
usb muxing is the problem conflicting compatibility with USB 2.0/3.0 from internal device usb hub.
So, I will try to try all possible ports with hub and dedicate one for each device
Nomad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nomad »

medhunter wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:21 am LMDE 5 with Kernel 5.18 Cinnamon

Inxi: 

Neofetch

It's not just the kernel, it has to do with the added hardware in linux mint 20.3 (edge) they have done a great job of this.
I am also having problems with LMDE on my new laptop, the OS is not even recognized. MX linux which is also based on debian 11 with kernel 5.10 on the other hand, even the regular xfce version. I can't even connect to the internet with the LMDE Live-USB with MX Linux, but it's not optimal so I tried the ash version but also with that I can only connect to wifi 2.4 the 5.0 version is nowhere to be found. If they add the same folder with extra hardware at LMDE I'm sure everything will work optimally maybe even without changing kernel.
Demmers
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Demmers »

This is interesting. I'm using LMDE 5 with default 5.10 kernel (updated), and when I plug a flash drive into the USB port next to the one that's for the receiver for the mouse, the mouse instantly stops moving, 0 response. As soon as I remove the drive, the mouse comes back to life.
What's further interesting, is that these two ports are part of the case. If I plug the flash drive into a port on the motherboard, the mouse still works, and vice versa.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Take my advice with a pinch of salt cause I have personal experience of only turning back to older kernels and not of upgrading to newer ones on Debian. I hypothesize that power management tweaks in recent kernels which mostly affects USB devices probably are not compatible with Debian Stable. They tested everything and they tested it so long (like afaik only Debian developers do) on kernel 5.10. And Debian Stable is not really meant for experimentation with newer than at the time of release supported hardware. You may however have better luck with alternative "performance" kernels like xanmod or liquorix which tend to cut down on power-saving features. Try at your own risk.

Return to “Hardware Support”