50Hz Hum in Idle Speakers - Fix

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Z_L
Level 1
Level 1

50Hz Hum in Idle Speakers - Fix

Post by Z_L »

I was using LM 20.3 Xfce for a while that worked fine, but one of the latest updates of LM messed up the power saving settings of the sound card, which manifested in an annoying 50Hz hum in the speakers when no sound is played (I did not know the cause at that time yet). The temporary fix was to keep the PulseAudio Volume Control open all the time, which provided some silent live signal to the sound card and prevented the 50Hz noise.

My laptop is a Lenovo V110-15IAP with 8GB RAM.

Now I have replaced LM Xfce with LMDE5 in the hope that this bug would not be present in this version. Unfortunately the bug is still present. I dug up a solution for the problem here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/fix-static-no ... ers-linux/

If I run these instructions after boot:

Code: Select all

sudo su
echo 0 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save 
the hum stops. The only problem is that this setting gets overwritten each time the OS is booted, so I have to reapply the same settings at each startup.

Is there a way to make this setting permanent?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nmrugg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 50Hz Hum in Idle Speakers - Fix

Post by nmrugg »

Try this:

Code: Select all

echo options snd_hda_intel power_save=0 | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/audio_disable_powersave.conf

Return to “Hardware Support”