[SOLVED]Lid closing always suspends

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Taur10
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED]Lid closing always suspends

Post by Taur10 »

Ok, this is annoying. I don't want to use my laptop screen for anything, and want to get the laptop out of the way. Problem is that closing it suspends the computer, and changing the settings in Power Management doesn't do anything. I'll assume this means the GUI isn't doing it's thing, so is there a way to fix this within the terminal?
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Seph
I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Lid closing always suspends

Post by Cosmo. »

Perhaps you find something helpful: viewtopic.php?p=2221234#p2221234
Taur10
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Taur10 »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:53 am Perhaps you find something helpful: viewtopic.php?p=2221234#p2221234
Unfortunately no dice on that thead, I'd checked it first. I know that the control panel is supposed to adjust a setting somewhere in the system, so I think the solution is just to manual set this, but not sure where.

Hmmm, looks like I put this in the wrong forum, I'm on LMDE Cinnamon. Prolly should close it and reopen there unless a mod wants to move it.
Seph
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Taur10 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:00 am Hmmm, looks like I put this in the wrong forum, I'm on LMDE Cinnamon. Prolly should close it and reopen there unless a mod wants to move it.
You can click the exclamation mark in the top of your post and report it to the mods; ask there for moving.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Done. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Taur10 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:36 am I don't want to use my laptop screen for anything, and want to get the laptop out of the way. Problem is that closing it suspends the computer, and changing the settings in Power Management doesn't do anything.
Did you check the BIOS/UEFI of the laptop to see if there is an option regarding action to take if the lid is closed?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Taur10
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Taur10 »

SMG wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:43 pm
Taur10 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:36 am I don't want to use my laptop screen for anything, and want to get the laptop out of the way. Problem is that closing it suspends the computer, and changing the settings in Power Management doesn't do anything.
Did you check the BIOS/UEFI of the laptop to see if there is an option regarding action to take if the lid is closed?
Huh, hadn't thought to look there, I just assumed (yeah, yeah, I know) that since there was a setting, that controlled it. Thanks for the idea
Seph
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

My laptops have not had that setting, but users on this forum have indicated the setting does exist for some laptops. I do not know under what heading it might be.
Taur10
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Taur10 »

SMG wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:35 pm My laptops have not had that setting, but users on this forum have indicated the setting does exist for some laptops. I do not know under what heading it might be.
Unfortunately I'm in the same boat, there is a setting for powering up when the lid is lifted, which I turned off, but it's still down to the system. I've also done some searching, and thanks to that, used Dconf editor to verify that the settings are right. I did find some instructions to tweak a systemd config file that should fix it, but I'm a bit wary about doing that.
Seph
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Taur10 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:05 amthere is a setting for powering up when the lid is lifted
What is the name of that setting? I don't think I've ever heard of one doing that, but the fact there is a setting there related to the lid may be a clue as to what is happening.
Taur10 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:05 am I did find some instructions to tweak a systemd config file that should fix it, but I'm a bit wary about doing that.
I am not familiar with that and can not help you with it, but maybe someone else can.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Taur10 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:05 am there is a setting for powering up when the lid is lifted
You talk about the bios setup, right? Perhaps(!) you must deactivate in dconf this setting: org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.plugins.power inhibit-lid-switch true Note, that the description warns against setting it to off, so do at your own risk.
Taur10
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Taur10 »

SMG wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:24 am
Taur10 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:05 amthere is a setting for powering up when the lid is lifted
What is the name of that setting? I don't think I've ever heard of one doing that, but the fact there is a setting there related to the lid may be a clue as to what is happening.
What it does when set to true is that when you open the computer, it turns itself on. Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the problem, but I turned it off for good measure.
SMG wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:24 am
Taur10 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:05 am I did find some instructions to tweak a systemd config file that should fix it, but I'm a bit wary about doing that.
I am not familiar with that and can not help you with it, but maybe someone else can.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1009387 ... losing-lid
Looks like it's related to the setting Cosmo mentioned, right now it shouldn't be doing anything, but if I turn off Cinnamon's control over it, I can try setting that I guess.
Cosmo. wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:28 am
Taur10 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:05 am there is a setting for powering up when the lid is lifted
You talk about the bios setup, right? Perhaps(!) you must deactivate in dconf this setting: org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.plugins.power inhibit-lid-switch true Note, that the description warns against setting it to off, so do at your own risk.
Hmmm, hadn't noticed that, but it sounds like it would pass handling off to systemd as per the instructions in the link above. Might give it a go and see what happens, as this sorta explains things, though I'd rather avoid having to reinstall the system again (broke something in a day).
Seph
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Taur10 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:40 pmWhat it does when set to true is that when you open the computer, it turns itself on. Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the problem, but I turned it off for good measure.
So the lid switch is connected to the power button? :shock: I learn something new all the time.

It has been my understanding lid switches are physical switches. I've never looked into the different possibilities for actions related to the switch and how the system knows what to do with different inputs.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Taur10 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:40 pm though I'd rather avoid having to reinstall the system again (broke something in a day).
Note, that changes in dconf do not affect the system itself, but the account. So a reinstall will not be needed, in the worst case "only" a new account. It would be a good idea, to create at first another account with sudo membership, which you could use in this worst case to create a new account.
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

Please remember, it's a good idea to do a system backup with timeshift or your favorite backup solution first, that way if you mess something up you can return to a working state of your system!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
Taur10
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Taur10 »

SMG wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:02 pm So the lid switch is connected to the power button? :shock: I learn something new all the time.

It has been my understanding lid switches are physical switches. I've never looked into the different possibilities for actions related to the switch and how the system knows what to do with different inputs.
Not exactly, remember that on modern electronics, the power switch is a button the system listens for even if it's 'off', so someone at Lenovo had the clever idea that it could listen for the lid switch and treat it as a power button too.
Cosmo. wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:55 am
Taur10 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:40 pm though I'd rather avoid having to reinstall the system again (broke something in a day).
Note, that changes in dconf do not affect the system itself, but the account. So a reinstall will not be needed, in the worst case "only" a new account. It would be a good idea, to create at first another account with sudo membership, which you could use in this worst case to create a new account.
Indeed, the thing here is that the language in Dconf is sorta disingenuous in this case, this won't break Cinnamon, it will just mean that the power control panel will no longer control the lid switch effect, something that might confuse a user who might think the control panel is broken. For me the worry is that I'll be making a change on a system configuration file, but then this is likely the way it would work on an i3 or similar system, so I prolly shouldn't worry.
heavy metal wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:25 pm Please remember, it's a good idea to do a system backup with timeshift or your favorite backup solution first, that way if you mess something up you can return to a working state of your system!
Yep, something I wasn't wise enough to do the first time. Then again, considering that this is the third computer I've installed LMDE on (why don't we call it MintD, it's catchier, in fact, do a bleeding edge version and call it MintD Fresh), I wasn't expecting any problems.
Seph
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Taur10 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:12 pmNot exactly, remember that on modern electronics, the power switch is a button the system listens for even if it's 'off', so someone at Lenovo had the clever idea that it could listen for the lid switch and treat it as a power button too.
I don't see where you mentioned what hardware you have, but I'm now presuming it's a Lenovo? You seemed to have skipped over the part in the "Before you post please read how to get help where it mentions providing hardware info and how Mint views it. ;)
Taur10
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Taur10 »

SMG wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:01 pm
Taur10 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:12 pmNot exactly, remember that on modern electronics, the power switch is a button the system listens for even if it's 'off', so someone at Lenovo had the clever idea that it could listen for the lid switch and treat it as a power button too.
I don't see where you mentioned what hardware you have, but I'm now presuming it's a Lenovo? You seemed to have skipped over the part in the "Before you post please read how to get help where it mentions providing hardware info and how Mint views it. ;)
Chuckles, "Yeah, I forgot that at first because I didn't think it'd make a difference. That said, turns out there never was an issue, or at least not exactly. After poking at that setting and all, I figured out that when I closed the lid, it suspended the system... until I move the mouse or press a key, then it wakes up using the external only. Not exactly the action I'd expect, I'd've expected that I close the lid, and the monitor remains on. Oh, and it loses the custom orientation on the monitor. Guess I need to mark is solved."
Seph

Return to “Hardware Support”