Keyboard acting strange

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Keyboard acting strange

Post by AZgl1800 »

my ASUS kybd is laying off the job.

at times, the letters 'c' and 'v' and 'x' won't work in local applications, but here on the forum, they seem to work okay, "mostly"

the 'c' refuses to work,
the 'v' triples or quintuples its' output
the 'x' just does what it feels like, work, not work, triple, go to sleep

I can use a USB keyboard and that seems to work fine, most of the time, but is so cumbersome, that I won't use it, except to test the function.

I looked at replacing the kybd, but it is part of the top frame of the laptop.... :roll: and at $150+ is not something that I want to waste money on, considering that my chances of dissembling the laptop, and getting it back together again is almost zero

buying a kybd and taking it to a Repair Servvice is not entertaining, as I would have to watch his every movve, to be sure he did not copy financial information

looks like the kybd is acting up in this post
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Keyboard acting strange

Post by Raycoupe »

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:11 pm
the 'c' refuses to work,
the 'v' triples or quintuples its' output
the 'x' just does what it feels like, work, not work, triple, go to sleep
The locality and unpredictable behavior of your problem suggest hardware issues due to some sticky spillage.

I have had success in the past cleaning sticky laptop keyboards with isopropyl alcohol (as high percentage as you can get). Soaking, rinsing and allowing it to dry thoroughly (days) or in a warm environment. You should look up how to and what to avoid searching: "circuit board cleaning with alcohol" For example: https://www.conro.com/why-isopropyl-alc ... g-the-pcb/

Getting the keyboard out of the laptop should be pretty straightforward, look up specifics for your model.

What I personally never do again is disassembling separate keys to get better access to muck with cue tips. Does only half the job and keys can easily damage removing/replacing.
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Getting the keyboard out of the laptop should be pretty straightforward, look up specifics for your model.
on this laptop, ASUS FX705GM, that procedure is anything but straightforward.

The keyboard is solidly attached to the top frame of the laptop, which is NOT removable, until after you have turned it upside down, and slowly remove every damn piece of hardware, one by one, and then all you have left is the frame/keyboard....

that is available from the Asian countries, which I tried on a previous laptop and got burned.
e.g., I ordered a "lighted keyboard" and it was NOT
went through the entire procedure on that older ASUS laptop, took me several hours of referring to photos of each step as I went, and referencing the video I was following.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raycoupe »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:13 pm on this laptop, ASUS FX705GM, that procedure is anything but straightforward.
Yes, new laptops are really hard to disassemble and fix nowadays. I'm used working an older models to give them a second life.

The actual keyboard switch itself probably isn't effected but the plastic slide thingy that guides the key. Weren't your laptop so expensive, I'd remove the sticky keys myself and try using tiny drops of isopropyl alchohol (on a cuetip) to dissolve the stickiness (enough yourtubes, etc to show how). You could try a repairshop, who's got experience cleaning, some of them still actually repair stuff.
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

AZgl1800, I had an ASUSPRO X450CA laptop with a keyboard setup like that. Replacing the keyboard was a PITA, but worked fine afterwards, until the mobo went South and I gladly recycled it.
No more ASUS for me.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Joe2Shoe wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:27 pm AZgl1800, I had an ASUSPRO X450CA laptop with a keyboard setup like that. Replacing the keyboard was a PITA, but worked fine afterwards, until the mobo went South and I gladly recycled it.
No more ASUS for me.
Aye, I hear that.

No more ASUS pieces of crap for me....
we have several very old laptops around here that all grew very old, and too feeble to run modern software.
yet, all of them have good working keyboards.

The "Best keyboard" on a PC that I ever used, was on a Compaq, that keyboard obviously used a cord, but the keys themselves used the "Hall Effect" and would register a key click just prior to the key actually touching the bottom.

The only other keyboard that was the equal of that, was on the ASR-28 that I used in Crypto with the Air Force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletype_Model_28

on that keyboard, I was tested at 120 wpm consistently, and we had to use the punched Paper Tape to read the print outs at 40 wpm minimum to graduate from the typing class there.

Of course, out in the Field, they let us have the Printer Head so we could pass the Printed Message to those with "Eyes Only" to read.

I suppose the harder part of that class was learning to read Code Groups of 5 random letters, that were to be Decoded within 5 minutes, and then pass that to the "Eyes Only" officer.

Return to “Hardware Support”