[LMDE] AMD sound driver installed on Intel machine

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SaberClassMor
Level 1
Level 1

[LMDE] AMD sound driver installed on Intel machine

Post by SaberClassMor »

I just reinstalled the other day and the sound wasn't working. Well, I checked what I had installed, and I think it should be fairly obvious:

Code: Select all

Audio:     Device-1: Intel Comet Lake PCH cAVS vendor: Lenovo driver: sof-audio-pci bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           chip ID: 8086:06c8 class ID: 0401 
           Device-2: NVIDIA vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
           chip ID: 10de:10fa class ID: 0403 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.0-12-amd64 
EDIT: replaced with inxi -AXXX output

$ apt list pipewire
Listing... Done
pipewire/stable,now 0.3.19-4 amd64 [installed]
pipewire/stable 0.3.19-4 i386
Double checking before I break anything: the way to fix this would be to apt uninstall pipewire, then apt install pipewire, and specify I just want the Intel driver when prompted. Is that correct?

After that, I'm a little concerned what other problems might be caused down the line if I've got other AMD versions of drivers etc. installed. How do I check if this is happened, and how would I prevent this from happening again?

EDIT: I understand why this was moved to the Sound topic, but I'm on LMDE 5. My bad for not stating that in the original post, but it shouldn't be in the Main Edition forum.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: AMD sound driver installed on Intel machine

Post by SMG »

SaberClassMor wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:00 pm I just reinstalled the other day and the sound wasn't working. Well, I checked what I had installed, and I think it should be fairly obvious:
What AMD "sound driver" do you have installed? I do not see one.

The two drivers installed are sof-audio-pci and snd_hda_intel.

If you are referencing ALSA, that is not an AMD sound driver. That refers to your system's 64-bit architecture.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [LMDE] AMD sound driver installed on Intel machine

Post by SMG »

SaberClassMor wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:00 pmEDIT: I understand why this was moved to the Sound topic, but I'm on LMDE 5. My bad for not stating that in the original post, but it shouldn't be in the Main Edition forum.
Now moved to the LMDE forum.
SaberClassMor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SaberClassMor »

SMG wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:25 pm
SaberClassMor wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:00 pm I just reinstalled the other day and the sound wasn't working. Well, I checked what I had installed, and I think it should be fairly obvious:
What AMD "sound driver" do you have installed? I do not see one.

The two drivers installed are sof-audio-pci and snd_hda_intel.

If you are referencing ALSA, that is not an AMD sound driver. That refers to your system's 64-bit architecture.
On a double check, yeah, obviously Pipewire ins't a driver. D'oh. Please excuse that I referred to Pipewire as a sound driver.

From the OP:
SaberClassMor wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:00 pm

$ apt list pipewire
Listing... Done
pipewire/stable,now 0.3.19-4 amd64 [installed]
pipewire/stable 0.3.19-4 i386
I could be totally wrong, but it seems that I have Pipewire installed from an amd64 repository*, when the i386 repository* also has a version* right there. I'm on Intel, not AMD, so I guessed that this would cause a compatibility issue and wanted to double check this. Is it wrong to think that having software* specifically made for AMD CPUs could cause compatibility issues?

*Also not sure on any of these terms, or whether I am identifying these correctly. Again, forgive my ignorance.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SaberClassMor wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:44 pm I could be totally wrong, but it seems that I have Pipewire installed from an amd64 repository*, when the i386 repository* also has a version* right there.
i386 refers to a 32-bit computer architecture
amd64 refers to a 64-bit computer architecture

Neither of those refer to who manufactured the computer's CPU. They are generic terms referring to the architecture of the CPU. If you have a 64-bit computer, do not remove the amd64 packages.
SaberClassMor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SaberClassMor »

SMG wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:53 pm
SaberClassMor wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:44 pm I could be totally wrong, but it seems that I have Pipewire installed from an amd64 repository*, when the i386 repository* also has a version* right there.
i386 refers to a 32-bit computer architecture
amd64 refers to a 64-bit computer architecture

Neither of those refer to who manufactured the computer's CPU. They are generic terms referring to the architecture of the CPU. If you have a 64-bit computer, do not remove the amd64 packages.
I see, thank you for the explanation.

God knows what's going on with my sound, then.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SaberClassMor wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:00 pmGod knows what's going on with my sound, then.
I would suggest doing searching on sof-audio-pci. I know there are newer drivers available that people have used on Ubuntu-based Mint, but I do not what might be different with LMDE versions.

Are you backporting a newer kernel than the stock 5.10 which comes with LMDE5? If your system has Comet Lake then I would think you likely would want a newer kernel.

If you want help with a specific issue, please provide details of what the problem is and your full inxi output.

Return to “Hardware Support”