Questions about networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
niceNminty
Level 1
Level 1

Mint LMDE won't work with new Startech ethernet card

Post by niceNminty »

I built a pc about 6 months ago and now the Realtek 8111 on the the motherboard has bought the farm. Intermittent connection. Unfortunately, the only slot I had open was an older PCI slot. Got a new StarTech 1 Port PCI 10/100/1000 32 Bit Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter Card (ST1000BT32) and now it doesn't connect...dead. It sees both adapters..the broken onboard one and now this new one but...dead. I decided to run a few newer live distributions...including Mint 19.3...no problems. Works fine. Back to anything based on Ubuntu 16.04 and it seems to not have support for it(also tried Mint 18.3). This card is the most popular PCI out there and it isn't a new model...It's been around. What could cause this? Is this is simple as it's not supported in some Linux kernel etc? Any way to make it work?

This problem could be fixed if I had a single slot video card but...I have a dual slot one and...it covers the only PCIe slot :D

chipset seems to be (8169/8110 family)...broken chipset was (8111/8168/8411)

thanks

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint LMDE won't work with new Startech ethernet card

Post by karlchen »

Hi, niceNMinty.

Which Linux Mint is your thread really about? The title mentions LMDE, which is Linux Mint Debian Edition. LMDE is not mentioned once in the whole post. In the post we only read about Ubuntu based Linux Mint releases, LM 19.3 and LM 18.3. So which Linux Mint precisely is your post about?

Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

niceNminty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by niceNminty »

LMDE...but I use both LMDE 3 and 18.3...they both suffer from the same problem. I figure one day since Mint is suppose to go to the Debian branch totally I would go with LMDE...but...I use both.

thanks

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hi, niceNMinty.

Using LMDE3 as well as Linux Mint 18.3 is of course perfectly ok. I had only asked in order to know whether to move your thread into the LMDE 3 sub-forum or into the "Main Edition".
LMDE 3 and Linux Mint 18.3 do not act in precisely the same way. So advice given for one may apply to both, but it need not.
Anyway.
Please, execute the terminal command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxz
and post the complete output, which it will display. We need some technical data to start working upon.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

niceNminty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by niceNminty »

i will post the output later today but...i think I have resolved the problem. I was lying aound thinking what could it be. Well, I thought maybe I should try and disable the semi-working onboard NIC in the BIOS and see if that does anything....voila!!!!..it worked. I also enabled awake on LAN on the new card PCI slot option in the BIOS...one or the either worked..I'm going to test it out over the next few days before I get too confident.

I just don't get why it wouldn't enable with the older 16.04 distributions but it would with say....mint 19.x and MX linux or anything else "newer" I tried..strange. I have noticed though that with the newly installed 18.3 I've done and even with the 19.3 I tried..there seems to be a lot of newer traffic in the backgroind when I use etherape...but that's for another forum post

thanks karlchen for helping out :D

niceNminty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by niceNminty »

well my success was short lived...heres a pic below and I ran the command...I just posted the network part but if you need anything else just let me know..it shows both network adapters...onboard and PCI

Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASRock
driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d000 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-2: Realtek RTL8169 PCI Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 v: kernel port: c000
bus ID: 03:05.0 chip ID: 10ec:8169
IF: eth1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Attachments
lan issues
lan issues

niceNminty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by niceNminty »

it seems to be the PCI card itself(or the PCI slot)...I got frustrated and bought a Cable Matters usb 3 ethernet adapter and plugged it in...worked right away..I would reseat the card..it would work...restart...wouldn't work...could even be the board going weird on me...i'm not sure...all I know is that the usb ethernet adapter works just fine

Return to “Networking”