File sharing tutorial? LMDE 5 Elsie

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rustyp
Level 4
Level 4

File sharing tutorial? LMDE 5 Elsie

Post by rustyp »

Are there any file sharing tutorials for LMDE 5 Elsie ?
share.png

FYI I would have just cut and pasted the error but LMDE 5 Elsie does not allow that
I would have just posted the ERROR # but LMDE 5 Elsie does not provide one

Will NEVER figure out why the people who take the time to write error messages do not just attach a ERROR # reference to each error then users can just come here to search for the error number. Better yet who ever wrote the error message could simply write the tutorial and provide a link to the tutorial right where the error is.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Before posting on this site I always verify I have the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon installed and run Update Manager.
Thanks.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: File sharing tutorial? LMDE 5 Elsie

Post by linux-rox »

You're expecting tutorials specifically for LMDE? Good luck with that. The house expert on Samba is altair4. His most recent tutorial, for LM21, probably is as close as you're going to find. Depending on what you want to do, Warpinator might be another option.
MLED4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MLED4 »

Only use samba if you need to share with windows, otherwise warpinator.

Since samba sharing and firewalls concern the security of your files, it would be a good idea to do a lot of reading and understand the settings for these, to have confidence that you haven't left all your files wide open to the whole world.
rustyp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rustyp »

MLED4 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:25 am Only use samba if you need to share with windows, otherwise warpinator.

Since samba sharing and firewalls concern the security of your files, it would be a good idea to do a lot of reading and understand the settings for these, to have confidence that you haven't left all your files wide open to the whole world.
So how do I share files over the home network, Linux only network, in the past it was right click on the file you wanted to share over the network and click Share, done.

Now there is school involved? Linux Mint Cinnamon had the same dialog as seen in the picture, was simple and intuitive you click share then your able to access the folder over the home network.
Before posting on this site I always verify I have the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon installed and run Update Manager.
Thanks.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I don't understand your dilemma.

Did you do what the error message told you to do?

Samba needs to be installed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install samba
Appropriate firewall rules need to be added:

sudo ufw allow Samba
Your user needs to join the sambashare group

sudo gpasswd -a your-mint-user-name sambashare
Then logoff and login again.

Why does LMDE make you do all this? I have no idea.

Fun Note: The only client operating system that can both discover your Linux Samba Server and connect to it without making adjustments or additions on either setup is MacOS which uses their own version of Samba ( SMBx) . MacOS has used SMBx as the default file sharing mechanism since Mavericks ( 2013 ). It is now the only graphical way of creating shared folders in MacOS.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
trinidad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trinidad »

I haven't used samba since the Debian 8/9 and Windows 7 era. Don't need it at all for Windows any more since MS now has an official MS Windows SSH server version available for installation. Odd to use samba at all nowadays as SFTP and easy to use UI tools like Remmina are available... even odder to use it on an all Linux network as you previously remarked in this double posted thread... even odder than that to use it on Windows to Windows connection when File Explorer can run over a network altogether if set up right. Current LMDE is based on Debian 11 so take alook at the tutorial in the first link below.

https://www.fosslinux.com/50871/configu ... debian.htm

If you want to learn about SFTP and Remmina connections read through some of the tutorials in this link.

https://dbts-analytics.com/cruzana.html

TC

Return to “Networking”