New Cindy Install. No Folder/File sharing

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
morgas

New Cindy Install. No Folder/File sharing

Post by morgas »

It seems to be normal with every LMDE install that Folder Sharing is not installed, but they went one step further this time and didn't even install Samba so now the user is not placed into samba.
When i attempt to share a folder a banner pops up at the bottom of the window that says Samba needs to be installed (click on install) then the root password is asked for, then it aborts and says can't complete. I then installed Samba via synaptic, went back to try sharing (after reboot) and it still wanted Samba to be installed. Not able to open the folder as root as well. Please guide me if you can. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SuperBoby

Re: New Cindy Install. No Folder/File sharing

Post by SuperBoby »

Have you added your username to the "sambashare" group ?
devnet

Post by devnet »

adding a user to sambashare does nothing to fix this issue. Am having the same issue currently with a fresh install.
devnet

Post by devnet »

Troubleshooting this, it seems SMB is fine...if I toggle the location from network:// to smb:// and then I type the sharename I'm able to browse the share.

The problem seems to exist where LMDE is unable to retrieve a list from the current network only...not the services running...the connection is made fine when I manually enter it.

I'm not sure where that problem might be since I haven't installed LMDE or Linux Mint in quite a few years.

Return to “Networking”