Issue with wireguard and unstable repos

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cb474

Issue with wireguard and unstable repos

Post by cb474 »

I installed wireguard, following the instructions on the project website and in the Debian wiki:
# echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/unstable-wireguard.list
# printf 'Package: *\nPin: release a=unstable\nPin-Priority: 90\n' > /etc/apt/preferences.d/limit-unstable
# apt update
# apt install wireguard
See: https://www.wireguard.com/install/ and: https://wiki.debian.org/Wireguard

I don't really understand how the pin priority stuff is supposed to work. I assumed this would mean the wireguard packages are pinned to come from the unstable repo, but the rest of my system would still update from Debian stable.

But after I did apt update and installed wireguard, the Mint update manager showed a ton of updates, basically wanting to update my whole system from the unstable repo. So I disabled the unstable-wireguard.list that was created in sources.list.d and updated apt again to get things back to normal.

Of course this now means, I won't get notified of updates to the wireguard package.

I assumed the pin-priority stuff would control things so that only wireguard was getting pulled from the unstable repos. How can I set this up so I get updates when the wireguard package is updated, but my system otherwise remains a stable system? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Issue with wireguard and unstable repos

Post by Moonstone Man »

cb474 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:57 am I installed wireguard, following the instructions on the project website and in the Debian wiki:
If you are not using LMDE then you've followed the wrong set of instructions. If you are not using LMDE then you should add the Ubuntu PPA.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:59 am
cb474 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:57 am I installed wireguard, following the instructions on the project website and in the Debian wiki:
If you are not using LMDE then you've followed the wrong set of instructions. If you are not using LMDE then you should add the Ubuntu PPA.
Uh, what makes you think I'm not using LMDE? I've used LMDE since first began. It also seems like the fact that I posted this in the LMDE forums is a hint that I'm using LMDE.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

cb474 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:46 pm
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:59 am
Uh, what makes you think I'm not using LMDE? I've used LMDE since first began. It also seems like the fact that I posted this in the LMDE forums is a hint that I'm using LMDE.
My bad. Poor eyesight, I'm afraid. Apologies.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I can't reproduce this issue in my LMDE... maybe you have some other apt preferences there?
You can list all the priorities with apt policy command (yes, without third argument).
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Monsta wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:58 am I can't reproduce this issue in my LMDE... maybe you have some other apt preferences there?
You can list all the priorities with apt policy command (yes, without third argument).
Thanks for the idea. I'll check that.

Return to “Networking”