[SOLVED] Gufw Firewall rules to allow scanning

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Gufw Firewall rules to allow scanning

Post by cooky »

Hello,

I use LMDE 4 (64bit) and I am pretty happy using this brilliant distribution. I've just realized that my scanner (multi-functional Canon Pixma MG3650) works or rather appears in the simple scanning application only when I allow incoming traffic in the Gufw Firewall and I'm grateful that I found this solution. Nevertheless, would anyone help me set the rules in the firewall to allow only traffic from scanner while still blocking other incoming traffic(printer works without any problem no matter if income traffic is allowed or denied)?

Cheers,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Gufw Firewall rules to allow scanning

Post by Moonstone Man »

cooky wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:19 am ... only when I allow incoming traffic in the Gufw Firewall
I think the real issue here is not that you need a firewall rule to let scanner traffic through, rather that it's a question of why you even need a firewall at all. If you are on an internal network then you are sitting behind NAT (network address translation) provided by your router, and using an IP address in non-routable IP space, which means that your router would have to get hacked for anyone to stand a chance of getting in to your network, or they would have to hide in your bedroom cupboard but the cable running to the router would probably give them away fairly quickly. It doesn't make sense to have a local firewall in a domestic situation unless you live in a shared dwelling with shared internet and one of your room mates is an inveterate and recidivist hacker who is hell bent on stealing your bank balance.

Nevertheless, you will need the IP address of the scanner, then you can set up a simple allow rule.
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cooky »

Thanks Kadaitcha Man for your replay. Actually it's a windows habit. However even Ubuntu is getting commercialized so to the question why do I need it. The answer is why not (except scanner issue) :D It's a default pre-installed application. I know IP and I'll set a rule and see if it works.
Minty_64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Minty_64 »

there is a detailed summery of ufw here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW
basically for a home network what i do is white list local i.p.'s
so in terminal type something like:

Code: Select all

sudo ufw allow from 192.168.1.0/24
this should white list all the ip's on your network.

probably not as recommended as also including the ports but it's safer then allowing traffic in globally.
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used in creating them - Albert Einstein
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cooky »

Thank you Minty_64 for your response.

It pissed me a bit and I've dived a bit into the topic.
I use wireless connection with Pixma MG 3650. Regarding this site: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index? ... =ART109227

I set (using window interface) a rule for printer's IP address income and outcome (only for wireless interface), allowing TCP and UDP port 8612. Scanner is working fine. I rather prefer only necessary steps to solve issues and I know that sometimes it's easier to say than do. Anyway, hopefully it'll be useful for someone else ;-)

Issue solved.

All the best,

Return to “Networking”