[SOLVED] Intel wifi card crashes Mint /LMDE

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dam
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Intel wifi card crashes Mint /LMDE

Post by dam »

Hi everyone,

I just installed yesterday LMDE4 freshly downloaded hoping that it would eventually fix and old wifi issue, but it's worse.
Actually as soon as I start the computer (at the login screen or a few seconds after) the whole computer freezes completely, no mouse, no keyboard, fan at full speed.
This does NOT happen if I disable the wifi card in the bios. Looks like a driver issue.
According to https://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi, my card seems to be supported though (intel centrino Advanced N 6230)
it's an Toshiba Laptop with latest available bios available (no uefi) though it's a quite old laptop.
I ran "apt update && apt install firmware-iwlwifi" but it says that the packages are already up-to-date.
Is there something else I can try before I reinstall mint ? (in mint the computer froze too but randomly from time to time)

Thank you in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Intel wifi card crashes Mint /LMDE

Post by Moonstone Man »

dam wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:33 pm Looks like a driver issue.
That begs the question as to why it doesn't look like a hardware issue.
dam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dam »

Actually I narrowed down the issue.
The computer freezes if Wireless AND Bluetooth is enable too.
I disabled the bluetooth in bios and the computer does not freeze.
Bluetooth and wireless are the same hardware. As suggested here https://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi, i could try to add "options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=0 swcrypto=1 11n_disable=8" in the file /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf.
I do not have that file though (hidden files is ticked)
dam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dam »

as suggested here by JeremyB : viewtopic.php?t=200267
I ran echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
Rebooted
I ran echo "options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=0" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
Re-enabled bluetooth in bios -> crash of the computer right after password login
dam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dam »

I just reinstalled Mint 19.3.
Having the same issue :(
I give up, I'll switch to windows if I really need the bluetooth.
Elli_Mc_Lauren
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Intel wifi card crashes Mint /LMDE

Post by Elli_Mc_Lauren »

You can try to solve this problem by replace your old Advanced N 6230) by the last officiell HMW Intel 7260 AC HMW Wifi card. That one should be faster, partly more secure and usualy works with Linux Mint and often coast lower than 15 USD incl. transport on 321.
cain2log

Re: [SOLVED] Intel wifi card crashes Mint /LMDE

Post by cain2log »

I just reinstalled Mint 19.3.
Having the same issue :(
I give up, I'll switch to windows if I really need the bluetooth.
Having the same issue viewtopic.php?f=46&t=319747&p=1813644#p1813644 viewtopic.php?f=53&t=319742&p=1813660#p1813660 and being led to the same conclusion. :( It's not really that intel wifi card crashes Mint/LMDE; it is rather that iwlwifi in Mint/LMDE crashes our computers.
You can try to solve this problem by replace your old Advanced N 6230) by the last officiell HMW Intel 7260 AC HMW Wifi card.
Yeah! :roll: Love to at least find sarcasm in this forum, if no solution at all. For this issue being marked 'solved" actually says to ditch our computers to save Mint/LMDE. In my case I am using Windows 10 to try and save mint/LMDE and my computer in the process.

And I thought Windows 10 could die for all I cared!

Return to “Networking”