WiFi network authentication, new user at school

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
good_goat

WiFi network authentication, new user at school

Post by good_goat »

Hello,
First, I've been so impressed with LMDE 4, until just a day ago. Honestly, installation was smooth, WiFi at home connected without any trouble, and so far, I've even found using the terminal (with online guidance) to install software is less scary than it was just a few days ago. This is a laptop that I've set up for my 7th grade daughter, and I've been so impressed so far that I've told other parents at my daughters school about my experience. The school recommends students use macbooks, but as most of us don't wish to spend that sort of cash, a few other parents have asked that I let them know what I discover here in my exploration of Linux distros.
All was looking good, until yesterday. My daughter took her loptop to school but was unable to connect to the school network. The teacher and a school computer tech got involved and she was told that she will need a more sophisticated operating system than this.
As parents are asked not to be on campus at this time to limit social interations, I spent 45 minutes in the school parking lot trying to get connected to the school network, and I admit, I'm disappointed. Our other devices, (amacbook, a cheap Windows PC, and Android phones) connect without any issue. But not this computer running LMDE 64 bit.
I'm on a new Teclast f7 plus, quad core celeron N4100. I'm not sure what other info might be helpful. I'm looking over the 'Authentication required by Wi-Fi Network' gui, and I'm lost. Tunneled TLS? CA certificate? Inner authentication? Awesome. I'm sure it's all fantastic and utterly fascinating, but I'm just not sure why I'm having to try to figure this all out here when our other devices didn't require any such research or effort.
Obviously I'd like help, but I'm also wondering if I've just discovered the one and only intersection that might make this an unrealistic choice for my 7th grade daughter at school. I would love to promote Mint to other parents here (we're at an international school in Bangkok), but if there isn't a relatively simple solution to this network connection issue, this is not going to be an option for our students.
Thanks for any thoughts you might have! Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: WiFi network authentication, new user at school

Post by jwiz »

'Authentication required by Wi-Fi Network' usually means that the access to WiFi network is password protected.
Have you received any password from the school or do they simply rely upon Macbook auto access?
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I have heard elsewhere of schools having unusual or obscure protocols for wifi connection. You know it is not your computer because you can connect at home. It sounds like the school technician mentions "needing a more sophisticated operating system" to cover his own ignorance.
Cliff Coggin
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

cliffcoggin wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:45 am I have heard elsewhere of schools having unusual or obscure protocols for wifi connection. You know it is not your computer because you can connect at home. It sounds like the school technician mentions "needing a more sophisticated operating system" to cover his own ignorance.
Pretty much what I think too.
Seems they are simply relying on Macbooks auto-detecting/auto-connecting to their network, but don't have much of a clue how.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Big Suggestion - - would be, to Not use the LMDE version of the LinuxMint System
:o
but, rather use the Main - Cinnamon version of the LinuxMint System . . .
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
at least, on your Daughter's Laptop.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

Pierre wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:25 am the Big Suggestion - - would be, to Not use the LMDE version of the LinuxMint System
:o
but, rather use the Main - Cinnamon version of the LinuxMint System . . .
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
at least, on your Daughter's Laptop.
That won't do the trick.
Most probably he needs to set up a new network connection for WPA2 Enterprise and download/import the school's auth certificate/password and maybe a per-user auth certificate as well.
But people aren't used to set up a connection manually because they are only trained in auto-config tools.
It isn't rocket science and his school tech guy will surely know what to fill in and where, I hope.
I've enclosed a screenshot of the network config panel on that behalt (descriptions are in german but should be self-explanatory)
Attachments
WPA2-Enterprise.png

Return to “Networking”