Internet occasionally stops working on Linux Mint LMDE 4

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Internet occasionally stops working on Linux Mint LMDE 4

Post by sleeper12 »

champloo wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:57 pm
Btw, we recently had a blackout in my neighborhood. Does that count as shutting down and restarting the router as well? It's technically the same?
Probably, but let's see what happens.
champloo

Post by champloo »

It happened again. And again, just about an hour after boot up. I may be noticing a pattern here in regard to timing when it happens the first time. It just might be exactly one hour after booting up.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Only a few other things I can think to do. Is there another ethernet port on your machine or router you can try?

Also, maybe reload the driver:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe -r r8169 && sudo modprobe r8169 
champloo

Post by champloo »

sleeper12 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:25 pm Only a few other things I can think to do. Is there another ethernet port on your machine or router you can try?

Switched port and reloaded the driver. Will let you know what's going on soon.

Thank you
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

It's very likely a driver issue. Check my post and the response to it from someone using LMDE 4 near the bottom of the first page on this thread, limited internet speed (posts 19 and 20 - just scroll until you see my colorful user icon).
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

That was me, it may work for your situation but read what I put in the post. Run a Timeshift snapshot before making any such critical function changes to your system in case it makes it worse not better. That way you can easily revert back to the normal driver.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
champloo

Post by champloo »

champloo wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:29 pm
sleeper12 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:25 pm Only a few other things I can think to do. Is there another ethernet port on your machine or router you can try?

Switched port and reloaded the driver. Will let you know what's going on soon.
It happened again. And again, about an hour after boot up.
champloo

Post by champloo »

SMG wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:01 pm It's very likely a driver issue. Check my post and the response to it from someone using LMDE 4 near the bottom of the first page on this thread, limited internet speed (posts 19 and 20 - just scroll until you see my colorful user icon).
I'll check it out.

Thank you
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod> iRiKi's post has been split off (not LMDE4, but LM 19.2; all network functionality stops, not just internet). New thread: Wifi stops working on Mint 19.2 completely </mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Networking”