[SOLVED] "File Changed on Disk" warning while working on files

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] "File Changed on Disk" warning while working on files

Post by Fuzzy »

Ever since I installed LMDE4 (which was back when it first became a full release), I've received pop-up warnings while I'm editing text documents which reside on my samba server's shares. I can watch movies and such without problem. However, if I open a text file, html file, css file - etc (any type of text file) which resides on my server, I receive a "File Changed on Disk" message and a prompt to reload the file - a warning which prompts me once every ten seconds or so. I continue to receive these prompts until I close the file.

I've tried to find solutions before such as "make sure your computers are syncing to the same time server", etc. However, I'm still facing the same issue. When I copy the files to my local machine, I don't have this problem. The network is stable, and I can copy/paste large files with ease and expediency. I can stream multiple media files at any given time from this same server, to any number of computers - concurrently. So - I don't think it is a network speed issue or a stability issue (pings continue at consistent rates), but some setting or another that I'm missing.

The Linux samba server is hosting the files on Linux ext4 partitions. Things worked fine from LMDE, LMDE2, and LMDE3...just not LMDE4.

Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fuzzy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: "File Changed on Disk" warning while working on files

Post by Fuzzy »

Partly resolved. It appears that it does have something to do with meta-data and timestamps on the files. Bluefish has a settings (currently located at: EDIT | PREFERENCES | FILES - dropdown box of FILE PROPERTIES TO CHECK ON DISK FOR MODIFICATION.) that can be modified/changed to avoid the error. (In this case, setting the aforementioned entry to "Nothing".)

However, I do still have this issue when using xed - though much less frequent. I'll leave this post up for a day or two in case anyone can provide any further ideas - then I'll mark it as solved, as the xed issue isn't as intrusive.

Thanks,
Fuzzy

PS: after posting this, I still ran into trouble when I went to save files in Bluefish, I found that I also needed to change:

Code: Select all

EDIT | PREFERENCES | FILES | CHECK IF FILE IS MODIFIED ON DISK
to NEVER.

Return to “Networking”