lmde5 nemo won't open network file (update, not solved)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

lmde5 nemo won't open network file (update, not solved)

Post by joeyoung »

When I try to open a file on a network shared device using nemo (5.2.4+elsie) Network tab, I see the devices, but when I try to open a drive I get an error message "Unable to mount location Failed to mount Windows share: Software caused connection abort".

This same operation with nemo (4.2.3) on a machine running lmde3 works just fine.

The error message seems to indicate that there's some sort of (new with nemo 5.2.4) permissions problem, but I can't seem to find out how nemo checks permissions on a network mount open.

The shared device is a usb drive plugged into the port provided for one on a wifi router which I think is set up properly--as confirmed by operating without error.

May 6/22 - update
When attempting to set up a shared folder on a desktop, nemo shows a message:
"Samba needs to be installed, appropriate firewall rules need to be added and your account needs to join the 'sambashare' group". This requirement is new--the lmde3 system did not need Samba installed, it was enough that the various libraries for parts of samba which were automatically get installed. Still, doing as requested in the message does not fix the original problem of being unable to access the network device. Also, the lmde3 system cannot access the desktop share but other lmde5 systems can.

I have now also loaded the Nautilus file browser, and it does allow the network drive to be accessed, although it needs to be done by using the "connect to server' box. Thus the lmde5 systems using Nautilus can get to the network drive. I believe this indicates that nemo now needs to do an operation that was either formerly not required or happened automatically.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LittleScriptMan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: lmde5 nemo won't open network file

Post by LittleScriptMan »

What version of Samba Protocol do you have ?
if it's version 1 (SMB1) you need to add this

Code: Select all

client min protocol = NT1
in your LMDE5 etc/sysctl.conf file (starts with SMB2 by default)
Interests : Firefox, Cinnamon & Bash Scripts
LM Version : LMDE5 (LMDE4 just in case)
joeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joeyoung »

Thanks for the response. I have not done any setup of samba, not familiar with how to do it. I've only used it indirectly via nemo which I suppose invokes it for network shares. According to the samba man page, the version that came with lmde5 iso is 4.13.13-Debian.

I tried to add the suggested line to a new separate local.conf file located in /etc/sysctl.d - conforming to the suggestion in the readme file located in /etc/sysctl.d -- after reboot, it did not make any difference to the error.

All of the lines in the current /etc/sysctl.conf file are commented out.
LittleScriptMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LittleScriptMan »

joeyoung wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:37 pm Thanks for the response. I have not done any setup of samba, not familiar with how to do it. I've only used it indirectly via nemo which I suppose invokes it for network shares. According to the samba man page, the version that came with lmde5 iso is 4.13.13-Debian.

I tried to add the suggested line to a new separate local.conf file located in /etc/sysctl.d - conforming to the suggestion in the readme file located in /etc/sysctl.d -- after reboot, it did not make any difference to the error.

All of the lines in the current /etc/sysctl.conf file are commented out.
According to your reply, I think you're mixing /etc/sysctl.conf which is a file located in /etc folder and /etc/sysctl.d/ which is a sub-folder of /etc.
The line I submitted above has to been added in the /etc/sysctl.conf file.
I won't claim it to be a universal patch but it worked for me, after rebooting, when upgrading from LMDE4 to LMDE5.
Interests : Firefox, Cinnamon & Bash Scripts
LM Version : LMDE5 (LMDE4 just in case)
joeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joeyoung »

As I wrote, the file /etc/sysctl.conf was entirely comments. So, I looked into the man page for sysctl where it lists the several places that sysctl configuration info is looked up on startup, and among those is /etc/sysctl.d/xxxxxx.conf ie, any file ending with .conf in that folder will be read in numerical turn. There's also a README.sysctl there which suggests that any additions be placed in a file local.conf in that directory, which is what I did.

Nevertheless, I have also just now tried putting the line
into /etc/sysctl.conf as you originally suggested, and it still does not make any difference to the error when nemo attempts to open the netdisk plugged into the usb port on the modem. The lmde5 nemo will open other shares folders located on computers on the network.

Thanks for passing along what worked for you, but it does not seem to help me.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: lmde5 nemo won't open network file (update, not solved)

Post by kato181 »

That entry is in your smb.conf file.
It is placed in the the following.. I use the following...
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
client max protocol = SMB3
To edit the that file, in terminal type the following...

sudo su

nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
joeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joeyoung »

Neither of the suggested additions to smb.conf:

client max protocol = SMB3
make any difference to the problem of nemo being unable to lookup the network storage device.
Since the update I posted earlier, I've been using the work-around of accessing the device using the nautilus file browser, and except for the awkward extra step to get the device mounted that way, it works OK.
Thanks again for passing along what works in your case.
QRP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by QRP »

Same problem, here's a workaround, not the solution.
Out of frustration I opened Thunar and there in the list was my google drive. I have subsequently learned to open the google drive in Thunar and then it appears and is accessible in Nemo. Don't know why.
QRP
QRP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by QRP »

Tonight I reinstalled LMDE5 and my google drive was present in Nemo without my intervention. I cannot explain it.
QRP
joeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joeyoung »

update Jun 25/22
Another search of this topic by using the error message as search text found a post (sorry I didn't keep the author's name) that suggested yet another of the 'client min protocol' entries for smb.conf:

client min protocol = CORE
This suggestion actually works, although I have no idea why or how anyone could find out what CORE means or why it's needed. I'll consider this issue solved.

Return to “Networking”