Mint KDE CE KDM and Ksplash screens (v1.0 - 6/5/09)

Help make Linux Mint look better.
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Mint KDE CE KDM and Ksplash screens (v1.0 - 6/5/09)

Post by WildSioux » Wed May 20, 2009 2:00 pm

EDIT: 6/5/09 - v1.0, SEE post #2 for Download

Hello all! This is the first time I have created art for Mint so go easy on me. I had to learn how to create a KDM and Ksplash screen. This is still a work in progress. As of right now, I have the KDM and Ksplash done. But since I don't know how to take a screenshot of the KDM and Ksplash screen, I am just making it in Gimp which is long.

This is for the Mint KDE CE version based off of KDE 4.x and has an overall blue theme to them. The background is based off of the "Mint Dew" wallpaper made by Zwopper and is the theme for Mint 7. http://www.linuxmint-art.org/content/sh ... tent=92221

And the login box, loading boxes, bottom bar are based off the new Air plasma theme for KDE 4.3. http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.ph ... ent=104819

Here is a screenshot of the KDM login screen.

And the Ksplash screen. I started of with it all black but thought it may look better with the Mint logo blue behind the KDE loading image. I like it better!

Let me know what you think. I am open to suggestions and criticism. I still don't know if having the login box cover the Mint logo is good or not. I believe you can move that, but I will have to check.

Also, since I am using Mint 7 RC1 Gloria with KDE 4.3 beta 1 installed. My grub and usplash screens are green. I have no idea how to change those. But those will change anyways when the Mint 7 KDE CE is released.

Enjoy!!!
Last edited by WildSioux on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint KDE CE KDM and Ksplash screens (WIP)

Post by WildSioux » Wed May 20, 2009 2:00 pm

6/5/09 - I am releasing these. I finally fixed the bug with the Mint logo on the Ksplash wobbling. Also, I tried getting a deb file for easier installation but just couldn't figure it out. So here is a zip file with both KDM and Ksplash. There is also a readme in there for the installation instructions. Please note, I have only tested these on 1280x1024 resolution. The Ksplash is for 1280x1024. But I imaging they would work on other resolutions. Let me know and I can see what I can do to make other resolutions.

The final KDM has changed from the screenshot in post #1. See this post...http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 15#p156072

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?bns1tjosd9i
Last edited by WildSioux on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Drake2k
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drake2k » Wed May 20, 2009 10:18 pm

[Constructive criticism.]

I like however....

The loading screen and log in screen hovering over the linux mint log seems hard on the eyes. My suggestion would be to move the logo somewhere so it doesn't clash.

I like the dew and I like the logos. Just not to keen on them over lapping.

Hope this helps.

WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WildSioux » Fri May 22, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks Drake2k for the comment and suggestion. I agree that with the login and loading boxes covering the mint logo is kind of busy. I looked at the configuration files and I am able to move the boxes anywhere I want. May be a little harder with the loading box since those are configured differently with negative x,y coordinates and I didn't try that one. But with the login box it is a simple change to the percentage of where the center of the box is.

The problem is that it just looked weird having the mint logo in the middle and the box moved down below it (which is what I tried). And then it shows the loading box in the center...just wasn't very fluid. So I may try to move the mint logo up towards the top and leave the login/loading boxes in the center. Afterall, the mint logo on the grub screen is at the top.

Another issue is, I have the same background as my desktop wallpaper. With the mint logo in the center. So it runs fluid from login, to loading, to fade in to the desktop.

What would you suggest? leave mint logo in the center and move the login/loading boxes to the top, bottom, left, or right? Or leave login/loading boxes in the center and move the mint logo to the top? And if you did that one, would you also change the desktop mint to the top as well?

There are just so many possibilities and what looks good for me may not look good to you or someone else as you stated.

A change to the Mint icon on the KDM login box:
+ I have made the mint icon bigger, it was too small.

Loading box Mint icon (last one to load on the right)
+ I need to fix that as it kind of wobbles when it loads. Some of the icons on that one out of 20 some are in the wrong position and is hard to get them all to line up. I don't know, it kind of adds to the effect of loading when it wobbles.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Fri May 22, 2009 4:04 pm

Ask Zwopper for the source for the wallpaper so you can move the logo up or ask Zwopper for some help. If you were to move the logo up you would have a great looking KDM Theme! I like what you are doing and I completely understand the work involved and the learning process involved. My comments are meant in a constructive way and not meant as criticism. Keep up the good work!

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Fri May 22, 2009 6:26 pm

The wallpaper doesn't even need a logo, as you've already included it in both the KDM & Ksplash . . . just a thought.

Richard

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper » Fri May 22, 2009 6:30 pm

I posted the source in another thread, I can repost it here tomorrow when I get back to my production machine.
Hang tight! :wink:

EDIT: I found it here - the link seems to be funtional.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WildSioux » Sat May 23, 2009 5:17 pm

exploder wrote:Ask Zwopper for the source for the wallpaper so you can move the logo up or ask Zwopper for some help. If you were to move the logo up you would have a great looking KDM Theme! I like what you are doing and I completely understand the work involved and the learning process involved. My comments are meant in a constructive way and not meant as criticism. Keep up the good work!
Thanks exploder, constructive or criticism comments/suggestions are both good. I see that there are less KDE Mint theme stuff around here mainly because this is a Gnome based distro with KDE only being CE form. But I am hoping to continue to make even more theme stuff for the KDE version of Mint and hopefully more and more people will start using it as well. I just need to learn how to make themes, backgrounds, logos, etc... in gimp, inkscape, scribus, etc... Basically what I am doing now is just using other theme stuff already made and freely available and piecing them together. I am of course giving proper credit where it is due.
richyrich wrote:The wallpaper doesn't even need a logo, as you've already included it in both the KDM & Ksplash . . . just a thought.

Richard
I agree, I have removed the KDE logo from the background.
Zwopper wrote:I posted the source in another thread, I can repost it here tomorrow when I get back to my production machine.
Hang tight! :wink:

EDIT: I found it here - the link seems to be funtional.
Thank you very much Zwopper! That has helped out a lot.

Ok, As I said above, I have completely removed the KDE logo from the background. This was just too busy and not needed as Richard said since the KDM and Ksplash screens have the Mint logo. I have made the Mint logo on the KDM login box even bigger (148x148). This in turn made the login box bigger, but not so big to where it looks ugly. It is just right in my opinion and shows even more of the "Air" plasma theme circles.

Let me know what you think about these changes:
1.) Mint logo changed from the "Official" KDE Mint logo (lighter) to the modded KDE blue Mint logo (darker, light beveling...) made by cathbard (I believe). Do you prefer original (same as Zwopper background), or modded (same as my Ksplash above)?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... go#p104167

2.) Mint logo size increase to 148x148. I tried 256x256, but that was just too big.

3.) I reduced the transparency of the Mint logo to 40%. This makes it blend in to the login box and also shows the circles and drops of water through it.

I know it is hard to visualize without a screenshot. But what do you guys think? Make the Mint logo smaller/bigger? More or less transparency?

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper » Sat May 23, 2009 6:28 pm

FYI I used cathbard's logo as well! ;)
CREA DIEM!

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Sat May 23, 2009 6:36 pm

I think the larger login box would look great, and would highlight the user & username with effect! The colours look like they already match, but if needed, one of your touches with transparency will fix that, I'm sure.
I'm working on a kde mint look Emerald theme at present, and hope I can ask for your criticism, or suggestions.
I like the DejaVu font for some reason . . . :?:

regards, Richard

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Sat May 23, 2009 8:58 pm

WildSioux, I like what you are doing! It's nice to see some artwork being made for the KDE CE and your efforts are greatly appreciated! Thank you for what you are doing!

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper » Sun May 24, 2009 6:31 am

Just a thought, weren't the "official" Mint KDE logo supposed to be green as well?
I think I remember reading about it somewhere(to lazy to search!).
Anyway, I included a green version of the KDE logo as well in the XCF.
CREA DIEM!

WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WildSioux » Sun May 24, 2009 9:02 am

Zwopper wrote:FYI I used cathbard's logo as well! ;)
I must be using a different blue Mint logo then because it is a bit darker and looks almost 3D. The one that you have is lighter. I don't know about the green one but that wouldn't look right.
richyrich wrote:I'm working on a kde mint look Emerald theme at present, and hope I can ask for your criticism, or suggestions.
I like the DejaVu font for some reason . . . :?:

regards, Richard
Sure, I would be glad to when you are done.

I have this almost done. I just need to figure out how to package it up. Do I just zip them up separately and let people copy the files to the proper folders. Or is there a way to make a .deb file to install? I have no idea how to make a .deb file...

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper » Sun May 24, 2009 12:23 pm

WildSioux wrote: I have this almost done. I just need to figure out how to package it up. Do I just zip them up separately and let people copy the files to the proper folders. Or is there a way to make a .deb file to install? I have no idea how to make a .deb file...
I used this tutorial to learn how to package my artwork in deb-files.
How to make a deb package.
CREA DIEM!

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Thu May 28, 2009 11:06 pm

WildSioux,
Just completed my first emerald theme, and I would appreciate your comments and criticism. It's based on Liberty & Liberty Green. I can upload or post the .emerald (783.5KiB) for you to try ?

regards, Richard
richyrich-emerald.jpg
richyrich-emerald.jpg (70.25 KiB) Viewed 4787 times
Last edited by richyrich on Fri May 29, 2009 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dread Knight
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dread Knight » Fri May 29, 2009 4:27 am

I'm confused a bit, does KDE/Kwin uses emerald?

Awesome stuff so far btw, just no overlapping please!
UNLIMITED POWER!

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Fri May 29, 2009 5:51 am

Yes, if you turn on Compiz.

and Dread Knight, please read the whole post before slapping my fingers. :)

EDIT: May 29, uploaded richyrich_kde.emerald to the Mint Artwork site, comments & criticism greatly appreciated.

regards, Richard
Last edited by richyrich on Fri May 29, 2009 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Fri May 29, 2009 9:15 am

You are doing some very nice work! Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Fri May 29, 2009 9:25 am

I am just in awe of you guy's talent. And yes, just a little bit jealous too. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WildSioux » Sun May 31, 2009 8:27 am

richyrich wrote:WildSioux,
Just completed my first emerald theme, and I would appreciate your comments and criticism. It's based on Liberty & Liberty Green. I can upload or post the .emerald (783.5KiB) for you to try ?

regards, Richard
Hey Richard, that theme looks great. I am not able to test it since I don't have compiz/emerald installed. But looking at the screenshot it is a nice addition for the KDE version of Mint. Just one thing, I am not a big fan of dark themes with the black/dark grey windows. However, I do like the top bar of the windows blue. If you could make another one with the windows in a light grey or even a light blue theme that would be nice too.

- I think I am going to post my KDM and Ksplash screens. I have been trying to move the bottom Sessions and Menu buttons/text to integrate them into the center box with the username/password boxes. It is proving to be a pain. So, you will get this one in its current form with a few changes from the screenshots in first post. And a second modified one!

Return to “Artwork”