Mint Update Icons

Help make Linux Mint look better.
leandroribeiro
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:37 am

Mint Update Icons

Postby leandroribeiro » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:54 am

Hi there!

I've realized that I don't like the "locker" look and feel of the MintUpdate Icons, so i've decided to make my own. I've also decided to share them with whoever likes it. Here it is: use it as you wish.

Checking for updates:
Image
Updated:
Image
Updates Available:
Image
Error:
Image

altair4
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7900
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:27 am

Re: Mint Update Icons

Postby altair4 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:41 pm

I usually don't comment on artwork because each person has their own sense of style but I like it.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3077
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: Mint Update Icons

Postby Zwopper » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:41 pm

I like them too, but they're not all that consistant... :oops:
Maybe if you add recycling symbol to the "searching" icon and a "thumbs up" or something to the "updated" one.
I do like the idea of the "mintShield" look though! :D
Keep up this excellent idea!
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Toshiba Portégé R930 | i7 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Ubuntu 15.04

leandroribeiro
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:37 am

Re: Mint Update Icons

Postby leandroribeiro » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:58 pm

After using them for a whole afternoon, I've decided to change some details:

Image Image Image Image

I've changed the font and position of the "tags" - let's call it that way :) - and added a tag to the Updated Icon - It needed one, I agree.

I've kept the CheckingForUpdates icon tagless. I think it works ok that way for two reasons: 1) it blinks, so it already as an extra "sign" that works ok; 2) Unlike the other three, it's a sign without information - it only tells you to wait while it checks for updates - so it doesn't need a tag.

Whell, If I change anything else, I'll keep them here :)

PS.: another possible solution is to remove all the tags an just keep the color code. What do you think?

User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3077
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: Mint Update Icons

Postby Zwopper » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:56 pm

leandroribeiro wrote:After using them for a whole afternoon, I've decided to change some details:

Image Image Image Image

I've changed the font and position of the "tags" - let's call it that way :) - and added a tag to the Updated Icon - It needed one, I agree.

I've kept the CheckingForUpdates icon tagless. I think it works ok that way for two reasons: 1) it blinks, so it already as an extra "sign" that works ok; 2) Unlike the other three, it's a sign without information - it only tells you to wait while it checks for updates - so it doesn't need a tag.

Whell, If I change anything else, I'll keep them here :)

PS.: another possible solution is to remove all the tags an just keep the color code. What do you think?

Well the new mintUpdate icons doesn't blink, so... ;)
I still think it needs something...
Something like this, this, or this maybe?!
And why not keep the "emblems" centered?
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Toshiba Portégé R930 | i7 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Ubuntu 15.04

Benni Jay
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 9:42 pm
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Re: Mint Update Icons

Postby Benni Jay » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:28 pm

I never liked the lock and think these are great, especially the first version.
It's nice to see your mint up to date with a green mint logo other than that lock. :wink:
Very minimalistic, I love it.

kanishka
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 720
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:59 am

Re: Mint Update Icons

Postby kanishka » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Benni Jay wrote:I never liked the lock and think these are great

Me too! I prefer the second version though. However, some of Zwopper's suggestions are on spot. There's some... "personality" missing :roll:

leandroribeiro
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:37 am

Re: Mint Update Icons

Postby leandroribeiro » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:51 pm

Well, I don't like it centered, since the logo itself it's not symmetric. Out of center seems to balance everything better.

But I also don't like the solutions I gave. The font's don't work with the Mint form.

The new icons don't blink? I didn't knew that :D That beeing the case, the "updating" icon needs something, of course. I liked the first solution you suggested. I'll try something more when I have more time.

User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3077
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: Mint Update Icons

Postby Zwopper » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:10 pm

leandroribeiro wrote:Well, I don't like it centered, since the logo itself it's not symmetric. Out of center seems to balance everything better.

But I also don't like the solutions I gave. The font's don't work with the Mint form.

The new icons don't blink? I didn't knew that :D That beeing the case, the "updating" icon needs something, of course. I liked the first solution you suggested. I'll try something more when I have more time.

Glad to hear that!
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Toshiba Portégé R930 | i7 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Ubuntu 15.04

Stel
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:30 am

Re: Mint Update Icons

Postby Stel » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:36 am

I modified those icons a bit, so that they can be used with dark themes and added two more, if anyone is interested. I left just the white wireframe, the rest is transparent.
Attachments
Update icons.zip
(26.83 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Update.png
Update.png (9.57 KiB) Viewed 3527 times


Return to “Artwork”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests