More tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please, Before you post please read this
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

MATE on LMDE4

Post by KBD47 »

Cinnamon is nice, but if you would like the option to log into MATE, this gave me the full MATE desktop in all its Minty goodness:

sudo apt install mate-desktop-environment-extras

Just choose MATE from the little icon at the top of your login menu in the drop down choices.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Re: MATE on LMDE4

Post by M_aD »

Now the Ubuntu based Mint versions will only be released as 64 bit, it would be great if the team would consider to bring back LMDE MATE and make a LMDE Xfce edition too. :)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

M_aD wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:57 pm
Now the Ubuntu based Mint versions will only be released as 64 bit, it would be great if the team would consider to bring back LMDE MATE and make a LMDE Xfce edition too. :)
Maybe if/when Mint goes full Debian down the road it will offer the three options on Debian just like it does right now with main Mint.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Mint only goes full Debian when Ubuntu should disappear, which won't happen for years to come. What i actually meant is that the team has less work on the main Mint editions now the 32 bit versions have been dropped, so maybe there's more time to look into developing LMDE MATE and Xfce.

I don't like installing other DE's on top of another.
argentwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by argentwolf »

Frustrating, people don't clearly understand Clem's immense vision with LMDE and why it will always stand apart from all the other Cinnamon distributions. It's much more then simply Cinnamon without Ubuntu, on Debian.
Nowhere but LMDE do you get the honed and polished package of Cinnamon DE on Debian.
I sneer at others running a different DE on LMDE, because they completely miss what LMDE brings and its specific purpose, and how well they've done what they've done with this distribution.
Yes, anyone can run different of DE's on Debian, but even the Cinnamon DE on Debian is no where close to the experience of LMDE.
Not to say you can't or shouldn't, for it's Linux right? But, as with this post, I don't understand why?
If you want MATE, (and to my limited intellect), it makes more sense to run your own on stable Debian.
Ironic, that even within the Linux community there's a real going backwards on a forward platform, D'oh! but I guess that's its beauty. Yes?
LMDE 4
Lanser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lanser »

argentwolf. Does the sneer daemon ship with Cinnamon or do you have to compile it yourself ?
exit stage left
argentwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by argentwolf »

Lanser wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:47 am
argentwolf. Does the sneer daemon ship with Cinnamon or do you have to compile it yourself ?
So you're not interested in LMDE, correct?
LMDE 4
cpedretti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cpedretti »

KBD47 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:28 pm
Cinnamon is nice, but if you would like the option to log into MATE, this gave me the full MATE desktop in all its Minty goodness:

sudo apt install mate-desktop-environment-extras

Just choose MATE from the little icon at the top of your login menu in the drop down choices.
To purge cinnamon desktop environment you can look this topic:

viewtopic.php?p=1819542#p1819542
AMD Ryzen 2600 - 16GB DDR4 - Sapphyre RX570 8GB - SSD MLC HyperX/HDD Toshiba - Mobo Gygabyte AB350 Gaming - PSU Lepa MaxBron 500W - Case Zalman X3 White

LMDE4 Kernel 4.19
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zaileion »

So I used LMDE on and off for years all the way back to LMDE 1. I just decided to give it a go again and see that there is no MATE option. So I googled LDME 4 MATE and found this thread. I was hoping for a crash course to install MATE as the primary GUI in LMDE. I realize I can open Synaptic and search for MATE and install the packages but as everyone knows there's always little issues when doing this and some tweaking is required. Does anyone know these specifics or is anyone willing to provide a quick HowTo install MATE in LMDE 4?
Nuts2u
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nuts2u »

Easiest way to install any DE on LMDE4 is to use Tasksel...pick your DE...sit back let it do its thing...and Presto...there is your requested DE. TYhat is how I installed MATE....I also installed the MATE extras as explained at the top of this thread....I've has no issues.....
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.
paranightpara8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paranightpara8 »

If i choose Linux distribution iso, i am tending to choose "The Top Iso" always.
About Mint, for me, this is "Mint Ubuntu Cinamon".
About Ubuntu, for me, this is "Ubuntu Gnome".
But... ...i always want to back to MATE Desktop, always, so, i either install it into top system, or choose another iso with a MATE. ... :)

Return to “Tutorials”