MATE on LMDE4

Write tutorials for LMDE here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read forum rules
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

MATE on LMDE4

Post by KBD47 »

Cinnamon is nice, but if you would like the option to log into MATE, this gave me the full MATE desktop in all its Minty goodness:

sudo apt install mate-desktop-environment-extras

Just choose MATE from the little icon at the top of your login menu in the drop down choices.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Re: MATE on LMDE4

Post by M_aD »

Now the Ubuntu based Mint versions will only be released as 64 bit, it would be great if the team would consider to bring back LMDE MATE and make a LMDE Xfce edition too. :)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

M_aD wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:57 pm Now the Ubuntu based Mint versions will only be released as 64 bit, it would be great if the team would consider to bring back LMDE MATE and make a LMDE Xfce edition too. :)
Maybe if/when Mint goes full Debian down the road it will offer the three options on Debian just like it does right now with main Mint.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Mint only goes full Debian when Ubuntu should disappear, which won't happen for years to come. What i actually meant is that the team has less work on the main Mint editions now the 32 bit versions have been dropped, so maybe there's more time to look into developing LMDE MATE and Xfce.

I don't like installing other DE's on top of another.
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by argentwolf »

Frustrating, people don't clearly understand Clem's immense vision with LMDE and why it will always stand apart from all the other Cinnamon distributions. It's much more then simply Cinnamon without Ubuntu, on Debian.
Nowhere but LMDE do you get the honed and polished package of Cinnamon DE on Debian.
I sneer at others running a different DE on LMDE, because they completely miss what LMDE brings and its specific purpose, and how well they've done what they've done with this distribution.
Yes, anyone can run different of DE's on Debian, but even the Cinnamon DE on Debian is no where close to the experience of LMDE.
Not to say you can't or shouldn't, for it's Linux right? But, as with this post, I don't understand why?
If you want MATE, (and to my limited intellect), it makes more sense to run your own on stable Debian.
Ironic, that even within the Linux community there's a real going backwards on a forward platform, D'oh! but I guess that's its beauty. Yes?
Vanguard debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing whimsically.
LMDE 6 | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931GiB SSD | 298 GiB HD
LMDE 6| 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465 GiB SSD
Lanser

Post by Lanser »

argentwolf. Does the sneer daemon ship with Cinnamon or do you have to compile it yourself ?
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by argentwolf »

Lanser wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:47 am argentwolf. Does the sneer daemon ship with Cinnamon or do you have to compile it yourself ?
So you're not interested in LMDE, correct?
Vanguard debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing whimsically.
LMDE 6 | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931GiB SSD | 298 GiB HD
LMDE 6| 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465 GiB SSD
cpedretti
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpedretti »

KBD47 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:28 pm Cinnamon is nice, but if you would like the option to log into MATE, this gave me the full MATE desktop in all its Minty goodness:

sudo apt install mate-desktop-environment-extras

Just choose MATE from the little icon at the top of your login menu in the drop down choices.
To purge cinnamon desktop environment you can look this topic:

viewtopic.php?p=1819542#p1819542
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 32GB DDR4 RGB White - RTX4060TI O8GB White- SSD NVME Crucial P5 500GB - Mobo Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550 V2 - PSU Corsair RM750 White - Case Corsair 5000D Airflow White 7 fans AF120 ARGB - AIO Corsair H100I Cappelix 240 White
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zaileion »

So I used LMDE on and off for years all the way back to LMDE 1. I just decided to give it a go again and see that there is no MATE option. So I googled LDME 4 MATE and found this thread. I was hoping for a crash course to install MATE as the primary GUI in LMDE. I realize I can open Synaptic and search for MATE and install the packages but as everyone knows there's always little issues when doing this and some tweaking is required. Does anyone know these specifics or is anyone willing to provide a quick HowTo install MATE in LMDE 4?
Nuts2u
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nuts2u »

Easiest way to install any DE on LMDE4 is to use Tasksel...pick your DE...sit back let it do its thing...and Presto...there is your requested DE. TYhat is how I installed MATE....I also installed the MATE extras as explained at the top of this thread....I've has no issues.....
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.
paranightpara8

Post by paranightpara8 »

If i choose Linux distribution iso, i am tending to choose "The Top Iso" always.
About Mint, for me, this is "Mint Ubuntu Cinamon".
About Ubuntu, for me, this is "Ubuntu Gnome".
But... ...i always want to back to MATE Desktop, always, so, i either install it into top system, or choose another iso with a MATE. ... :)
Dangerous
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dangerous »

How about colleagues, I already have time using LMDE. Practically from the beginning.
I must say that I find cinnamon spectacular and I like it a lot more than Mate.
But unfortunately, it consumes more resources, so I have LMDE 4 with Mate, installed from tasksel + the extras and without any problems.
Hopefully they will re-publish LMDE with Mate. To the people who like this system, but we have computers with fewer resources, we would be very grateful, since not everyone has good computers.
DDR-4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DDR-4 »

I have followed the instructions how to install MATE desktop on a 32 bit version of LMDE4 without any issues. I'm very pleased with this spare laptop now.

It's just a spare machine to use when I upgrade my main 64 bit Acer laptop to Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa MATE 64 bit.

I did have to download the same version of Firefox 85.0 (32bit) that runs on Linux Mint 18 Sarah 64bit, as Firefox would not open the .mozilla profile I copied from my main 64 bit machine.

If I do bork the installation of Linux Mint 20.1 at least I have a spare machine to use while I fix the other one. :D
firefox-85.png
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I am curious, have any long time Mate/Gnome2 users been satisfied with the result?
what about the missing native Mate Desktop apps?
in particular, what part(s) of LMDE do you want on your Debian system?
artwork?
apps?
the attempt at purging Cinnamon is admirable I guess, but LMDE is a huge base to try to prune the cruft out of, not to mention the apt pining obstacles
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Monsieurzik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Monsieurzik »

I do ! cinnamon purged, mate-environment-extras installed, no problem at all for two years now.
LMDE 4 - Mate
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FinixFighter »

Thank you all for your suggestions! Today I'm switching to LMDE after years using Ubuntu based Mint, and I'm going to replace Cinnamon with Mate :D I hope LMDE will have the three options soon (Xfce, Mate and Cinnamon)! Maybe with LMDE 5 :mrgreen:
stallmansupport.org
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

Interested in a feedback of this experience. I'm using a dual-boot computer LM19.3 MATE/LMDE4 Cinnamon. I'm somewhat torn between them because LMDE is my favorite distro and MATE is my favorite DE. So, if there's a possible combination...
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

MATE installs flawlessly on LMDE 3. LMDE 4 took me a little more work yesterday because of the change in repositories from the Debian "Stable" to "Old Stable" with Debian 11 which is the error I received. After a bit of research I was able to have a full functioning install of MATE on LMDE 4. I don't know why the Mint team hasn't taken care of this by now considering Debian 11 has been out now for 3 months. Any comments on this?
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

LMDE5 will probably be released next year, after Linux Mint 20.3 is released around Christmas.
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

rbeltz48 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:43 am MATE installs flawlessly on LMDE 3. LMDE 4 took me a little more work yesterday because of the change in repositories from the Debian "Stable" to "Old Stable" with Debian 11 which is the error I received. After a bit of research I was able to have a full functioning install of MATE on LMDE 4. I don't know why the Mint team hasn't taken care of this by now considering Debian 11 has been out now for 3 months. Any comments on this?
if you want a debian 11 based now, you have to install MXlinux21 or sparkylinux.
LMDE development it's really slow. Energy is concentrated on LM 20( principal distro, ubuntu based).

Return to “Tutorials”