Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LMDE 4

Post by ajgreeny »

Some time ago I created a thread about LMDE3 using xfce4, see viewtopic.php?f=251&t=285255.
I have now added the debian buster repos, and changed the mint repos to debbie rather like ceeslans mentions above.

So far all is working very smoothly with no problems.

Incidentally this is a VM using Virtualbox-6.1.2 in a host of Xubuntu 18.04, in which cinnamon was simply too hungry a DE.

LarsClarsen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LarsClarsen »

Good to hear! I will likely help beta test LMDE 4 when it's released.
Yeep.

I like to run the offical LMDE4 Beta asaop too.
LMDE4 Beta, Testing, found improvements, bugs and Improvement suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=312803&p=1766366#p1766366

malapetsasc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by malapetsasc »

When are possible to upgrade LMDE3 to LMDE 4 beta version?
Have anybody an idea when we can testing the new version of LMDE 4?
System: x86_64 Linux 4.9.0-12-amd64 Cinnamon 4.2.4 LinuxMint 3 cindy
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3GHz
RAM: 2348MiB / 3954MiB
Graphics: NVIDIA G92 GeForce 9800 GTX Gallium 0.4 on NV92 GLX 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family)

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

malapetsasc wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:01 am
Development is ongoing. All we know right now (from the monthly news on https://blog.linuxmint.com) is that LMDE 4 planned to be released before Linux Mint 20. For the latter the developers are probably aiming for mid this year release so LMDE 4 would be a little before that. To keep appraised on updates on development progress and announcement of beta and final releases, follow https://blog.linuxmint.com.

phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Post by phil995511 »

xenopeek wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 am
malapetsasc wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:01 am
Development is ongoing. All we know right now (from the monthly news on https://blog.linuxmint.com) is that LMDE 4 planned to be released before Linux Mint 20. For the latter the developers are probably aiming for mid this year release so LMDE 4 would be a little before that. To keep appraised on updates on development progress and announcement of beta and final releases, follow https://blog.linuxmint.com.
I hope that a beta version will be released in the coming days. I trust, Clem working on :

https://community.linuxmint.com/iso

I would like to be able to help him test this new version of Mint LMDE 4 !!

axisofevil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axisofevil »

Discovered this URL https://www.tecrobust.com/whats-new-in- ... e-version/
Says Mint 20 & LMDE4 both due in 2020. ;)

I don't know if it reflects official Mint team policy, but it mentions briefly a few more new features for LMDE4...

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

axisofevil wrote: I don't know if it reflects official Mint team policy, but it mentions briefly a few more new features for LMDE4...
I didn't read the article, but here's the official information...

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3858

A-MAN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by A-MAN »

I hope LMDE 4 comes soon! I am loving LMDE 3 so far. It does everything I need it to, and I think the new edition will be even better!

bitpixl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bitpixl »

Hi, my very first post on this board, so better make it interesting :)

From what I've read LMDE3 is based on Debian "Stable" and so will be LMDE4.
Is there any benefit in changing "Stable" to "Testing" or maybe even "Unstable" (by editing sources.list)?
The idea of a more "rolling" (more up to date) Debian distro appeals to me, but I'm wondering if it's all possible or
if it will simply break the included Mint software/Cinnamon desktop.

Are any of you currently using LMDE3 using Debian "Stable / Unstable"?
I Would love to read some experiences before I decide what I'm going to do with LMDE4.

phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Post by phil995511 »

bitpixl wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:14 am
Hi, my very first post on this board, so better make it interesting :)

From what I've read LMDE3 is based on Debian "Stable" and so will be LMDE4.
Is there any benefit in changing "Stable" to "Testing" or maybe even "Unstable" (by editing sources.list)?
The idea of a more "rolling" (more up to date) Debian distro appeals to me, but I'm wondering if it's all possible or
if it will simply break the included Mint software/Cinnamon desktop.

Are any of you currently using LMDE3 using Debian "Stable / Unstable"?
I Would love to read some experiences before I decide what I'm going to do with LMDE4.
Hello,

You must use Debian Stable and activate Blackport if you want to have a slightly more up-to-date working OS than the basic Debian.

You can also use Flathub and Snap Store if you want to benefit from some recently updated softwares. You must look for the procedures to activate them on the internet.

https://flathub.org/home

https://snapcraft.io/store

Unstable and Testing should not be used on production machines but only on test machines. If you lose data while using it, it will be at your own risk.

Unstable is where the Debian people place the packages that have just been compiled in .deb along with their dependencies. Software coming from Unstable may have very unstable behavior and create system crashes.

Testing is where Debian folks place packages that come from Unstable after being tested for a few days without major problems. Software coming from Testing risks to have an unstable behavior and to create system crashes.

Regards.

bitpixl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bitpixl »

Hi phil995511,

Thank you for your answer. Funny enough I was just listening to the latest (JB) Linux Unplugged Podcast and there was also a discussion about micro rolling distro's (to be fair it was about servers), but one of the guests also made a point (like you just did) that nowadays having a rolling distro is far less important because you can (also) get the latest software using Flatpak or Snaps. I'm still fairly new to the Linux platform, so these solutions are not 'mainstream' for me yet, but I'm getting there.

I know Linux Mint has flatpak integration by default (as Ubuntu uses Snaps), does LMDE3 have Flatpak installed by default?
If not, LMDE4 hopefully will (from what I've read I think Flatpak is the superior solution compared to Snaps).

phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Post by phil995511 »

bitpixl wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:08 pm
Hi phil995511,

Thank you for your answer. Funny enough I was just listening to the latest (JB) Linux Unplugged Podcast and there was also a discussion about micro rolling distro's (to be fair it was about servers), but one of the guests also made a point (like you just did) that nowadays having a rolling distro is far less important because you can (also) get the latest software using Flatpak or Snaps. I'm still fairly new to the Linux platform, so these solutions are not 'mainstream' for me yet, but I'm getting there.

I know Linux Mint has flatpak integration by default (as Ubuntu uses Snaps), does LMDE3 have Flatpak installed by default?
If not, LMDE4 hopefully will (from what I've read I think Flatpak is the superior solution compared to Snaps).
Concerning myself, I'm fed up with Linux "rolling" distributions, some days you have to make upgrades several times in the same day ... it tires me.

With LMDE / Debian Stable there is a minor update every 2 months and a few small security updates in between only if necessary.

On Linux normally users do not race to the latest version of programs unless it brings a bug fix or an additional function that we need. The bottom line is that it works... The Blackport directories bring the Linux kernel in advanced version (currently 5.4.x) plus some other updates.

https://packages.debian.org/en/buster-backports/

Flatpak is integrated into the excellent software manager of LMDE x / Mint 19.x Mintinstall who is so much better than Synaptic & Gnome Software that I would like people at Debian to adopt it as the default software manager for their OS.

Flatpak is, it seems to me, a "community" creation. Snaps is linked to Ubuntu... I use it first on Flatpack and if I don't find my happiness I look elsewhere. Snaps will be present in Mint from version 20.x but normally never in LDME x unless you add it yourself manually.

The problem with these "image packages" is that all of the dependencies they integrate must be updated by the package creator very carefully. With each revision of a dependency, it must recreate the complete "image package", otherwise it will have security holes in many of these meta-packages. I prefer with regard to the traditional way of managing the programs by APT / DPKG.

There is also AppImage in the same idea...

https://appimage.org/

https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages

Linux is very cool, I'm sure you will love it. It’s a universe where, if you want, you can constantly discover new things.

phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Post by phil995511 »

Good news :

lmde-4-Cinnamon-amd64-202002140617 Approved for BETA release

lmde-4-Cinnamon-i386-202002140940 Approved for BETA release

source : https://community.linuxmint.com/iso

I think the Beta ISO will be available by tonight...

Pre-heat the routers :)

Regards.

LarsClarsen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LarsClarsen »

phil995511 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:26 am
Good news :

lmde-4-Cinnamon-amd64-202002140617 Approved for BETA release

lmde-4-Cinnamon-i386-202002140940 Approved for BETA release

source : https://community.linuxmint.com/iso

I think the Beta ISO will be available by tonight...

Pre-heat the routers :)

Regards.
Its looks LMDE4 Beta, ISOs, 32 and 64 Bit now available on:
* Download adress removed, to not disturb the distribution on the mirrors.

Wait
Last edited by LarsClarsen on Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LMDE4 Beta, Testing, found improvements, bugs and Improvement suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=312803&p=1766366#p1766366

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

LarsClarsen wrote: 32 an 64 Bit LMDE4 Beta ISOs now available on:
Or we can wait just a bit for the pending announcement so we're not interfering with the other mirrors syncing, and to ensure the ISO doesn't change in the interim, and to get the torrent. :)

EDIT: EvoWise CDN mirror appears ready.
Last edited by JoeFootball on Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

LarsClarsen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LarsClarsen »

JoeFootball wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:26 pm
Or we can wait just a bit for the pending announcement so we're not interfering with the other mirrors syncing, and to ensure the ISO doesn't change in the interim, and to get the torrent. :)
Done. I removed the link to the source to not disturb the distribution on the mirrors.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

LarsClarsen wrote: Done. Removed the link to the source to not disturb the distribution on the mirrors.
Excellent, thank you. :) For the record, I'm sure everyone is very eager, which is great, and I was just offering an alternative viewpoint, where it likely in everyone's best interest to just wait for a bit.

Also to add, for everyone's consideration, the official release announcement should detail the proper way for us to report bugs, which I'm sure we'd all want to follow to ensure most efficient resolutions.

bitpixl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bitpixl »

Can't wait to try out the fractional scaling with Cinnamon 4.6!

LarsClarsen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LarsClarsen »

bitpixl wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:34 pm
Can't wait to try out the fractional scaling with Cinnamon 4.6!
Shorttest of Downloadet LMDE4 Beta ISO:
* works on Virtual Box as VM, can start with 1GB, works ok with 4 GB RAM

* use the Kernel 4.19, LMDE3 used the 4.9, thats lets hope a little bit LMDE4 can get actual wifi driver by 4.19 backport driver or what ever
* iwlwifi driver on /lib/frimware/ found for wifi cards up to including Intel 9260
* didnt find wifi driver on /lib/frimware/ for actual wifi6 cards like Intel AX200

* can now disable touchpad by typing: thats great
* can now diaable touchpad by connected mouse: thats great
* still can not set up the speed of scrollrad from mouse

* righklick on left corner LM symbol for open datei browser: dont work
* change desktop background image bac to LMDE3: works
* uninstall all not wanted search engines on FF: works
* firewall: works
* system update by update manager: works, a look for updates by some (or all ?) by http and NOT BY HTTPS !!!
* Terminal: works
* nemo 4.4.2 show wrong size of folders. P.e.: he show a folder size of 140.7 TB !!! by righklick, propertys on proc folder TB, not MB, GB or what ever. He show a much bigger size for proc folder, than the harddisk have.

* Power manager can now show time remaining of battery. Thats great.

More about LMDE4 Beta, Testing, found improvements, bugs and Improvement suggestions, now on:
* viewtopic.php?f=18&t=312803
Last edited by LarsClarsen on Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

murdokkk2525
Level 1
Level 1

Post by murdokkk2525 »

Put it on my second SSD. Got a few panel issues when "adding to panel". Icon not responding. Have to go menu/internet/chrome etc to get it to start. No biggie. I'll map them later. It's only been up 1/2 hr or so. Boots fast, runs fast. Gonna be schweeeet ! Good installer.I run MX19 as a daily driver. I KNEW this thing would be great with Cimmiminimum.I'll guess it'll be ready for prime time in just a few weeks. Mine will be dialed by sunup !

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”