Before you post please read how to get help
majpooper
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LMDE5

Post by majpooper »

WriteF wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:06 am
Awesome! I just installed LMDE4 after trying Debian 11 for two months. Debian is pretty good, but I just keep wanting the Mint polish.
I get the best of both worlds IMHO with Debian stability and the polish of Cinnamon. Granted I start with a Debian base (netinstl minimum CD) basically with no apps and have to install pretty much everything from the gound up even the display manager etc. I end up with only what I want which is a relatively light OS albeit with a heavy Desktop (I do use --no-install-recommends with the install command when I install Cinnamon which helps a bit with the extra Cinnamon "bloat") . So I guess it's kind of like eating donuts with a Diet Coke (Coke Light) but I like it . . . . and donuts with Diet Coke as well. :mrgreen:
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

majpooper wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:28 am
WriteF wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:06 am
Awesome! I just installed LMDE4 after trying Debian 11 for two months. Debian is pretty good, but I just keep wanting the Mint polish.
I get the best of both worlds IMHO with Debian stability and the polish of Cinnamon. Granted I start with a Debian base (netinstl minimum CD) basically with no apps and have to install pretty much everything from the gound up even the display manager etc. I end up with only what I want which is a relatively light OS albeit with a heavy Desktop (I do use --no-install-recommends with the install command when I install Cinnamon which helps a bit with the extra Cinnamon "bloat") . So I guess it's kind of like eating donuts with a Diet Coke (Coke Light) but I like it . . . . and donuts with Diet Coke as well. :mrgreen:
interesting solution. Kudos!
you would end up with a much more Stable and Secure system... if you don't introduce some buggieness with your add-ons.

personally, I don't much care for LMDE any more, especially because Cinnamon desktop and unwanted apps. But that's just My personal preference.
I too use the Debian netinstall ISO, but I choose Mate and some other packages. I too use a couple Linux Mint apps. Easy to add.
I admin dozzens of machines, we have zero glitches, and no apt-pinning or other needlesly complicated gizmos.
Peter
Mate desktop https://mate-desktop.org/
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/
WriteF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WriteF »

majpooper wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:28 am
I start with a Debian base (netinstl minimum CD) basically with no apps and have to install pretty much everything from the gound up even the display manager etc. I end up with only what I want which is a relatively light OS albeit with a heavy Desktop (I do use --no-install-recommends with the install command when I install Cinnamon which helps a bit with the extra Cinnamon "bloat") . So I guess it's kind of like eating donuts with a Diet Coke (Coke Light) but I like it . . . . and donuts with Diet Coke as well. :mrgreen:
sdibaja wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:48 am
personally, I don't much care for LMDE any more, especially because Cinnamon desktop and unwanted apps. But that's just My personal preference.
I too use the Debian netinstall ISO, but I choose Mate and some other packages.
Yeah. Tried it. But stuff like USB image writer, Timeshift, Warpinator, Backup Tool and so forth, even if used rarely are nice to have included by default with easy names after all. It was interesting to learn what packages are needed and so forth. But I figured out I like it to feel like a fully featured OS. It doesn't strike me as bloat, even if it the install has few hundred extra packages.

I do think something that requires extra experimentation is the features and performance/stability impact of a newer kernel.
Benkyou taimu!
  • LPIC-1 [__________]
  • Debian Admin Handbook [==________]
  • The Linux Command Line [__________]
  • How Linux Works [__________]
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Just curious: did LMDE just get the Debian Security patch yet for Flatpak?

https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/secu ... -w3jq-vh4q
Peter
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/
t42
Level 6
Level 6

Post by t42 »

sdibaja wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:19 pm
does not matter, as Wayland is not Implemented
-=t42=-
Michael_Hathaway
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

You guys are making me laugh. The blog is a good source of what is officially happening. I was told to expect Beta - Una no later than December 18 and that release was scheduled for December 25. I would be happy having it for New Years. I was also told not to expect work being done on LMDE 5 until a bit after the release of Una. The first month or two will still be busy working out any bugs/issues/enjoying holiday.

I like LMDE 4 with 5.10 kernel installed. I run this on my business computers, more reliable than the other Mint flavors. I could build vanilla 11, but then it wouldn't be Mint. :wink:
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

t42 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:55 am
sdibaja wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:19 pm
does not matter, as Wayland is not Implemented
read it again: "such as those used by Wayland"
this bug is for Flatpak, not exclusively for those using Wayland.

I do believe LMDE does use Flatpak
Peter
majpooper
Level 7
Level 7

Post by majpooper »

Michael_Hathaway wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 am
I like LMDE 4 with 5.10 kernel installed. I run this on my business computers, more reliable than the other Mint flavors. I could build vanilla 11, but then it wouldn't be Mint. :wink:
Just curious . . . . what that "wouldn't be Mint" would you miss?
Ubuntu repositories maybe ? I definitely can get that although not anything I miss. The other main thing I can think of is the Mint updater - a nice feature that I do miss although there are few ways to skin that cat with Debian.

But, yeah - the nice thing about linux is you can have the exact OS you want tailored to your specific needs and preferences - I think that is what this thread is really reflecting.
t42
Level 6
Level 6

Post by t42 »

sdibaja wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:30 am
read it again: "such as those used by Wayland"
this bug is for Flatpak, not exclusively for those using Wayland.
I do believe LMDE does use Flatpak
I don't understand what do you mean:
clients for AF_UNIX sockets such as those used by Wayland, Pipewire or pipewire-pulse can escalate the privileges
This is not relevant to LMDE.
-=t42=-
Michael_Hathaway
Level 3
Level 3

majpooper wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:35 pm
Ubuntu repositories maybe ? I definitely can get that although not anything I miss. The other main thing I can think of is the Mint updater - a nice feature that I do miss although there are few ways to skin that cat with Debian.

But, yeah - the nice thing about linux is you can have the exact OS you want tailored to your specific needs and preferences - I think that is what this thread is really reflecting.
There is no Ubuntu in LMDE.

IMO LMDE is much better than a build in vanilla Debian. It's loaded in 5 minutes, rock solid, has everything loaded my employees and I need. And it has this great community backing it.
ne0h
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ne0h »

Michael_Hathaway wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:22 pm
majpooper wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:35 pm

IMO LMDE is much better than a build in vanilla Debian. It's loaded in 5 minutes, rock solid, has everything loaded my employees and I need. And it has this great community backing it.
@Michael: i am totally agree with you. I have been using LMDE4 for a few months and I am really happy with it. is what I was looking for.
LMDE4 -5.10 kernel- Nvidia Proprietary Driver
i7+32Giga Ram+ 1050ti + 2tera SSD
majpooper
Level 7
Level 7

Post by majpooper »

Michael_Hathaway wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:22 pm
DOH! - Man I have to stop drinking in the morning - that is the whole reason for LMDE in the first place - :oops:
[
motoryzen
Level 6
Level 6

Post by motoryzen »

idle talk … unless you could back up your claims with reliable statistics ?
Perhaps ne0h meant Debian-based distros are the most widely used LInux distro-type in the world *shrugs*
Spiryt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Spiryt »

Will LMDE 5 have the newer Cinnamon Desktop 5 or will it use the Debian repo's 4.8.6?
ne0h
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ne0h »

Cinnamon 5 is in LMDE4!!!
Spiryt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Spiryt »

ne0h wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:42 am
Cinnamon 5 is in LMDE4!!!
oh nice! I am on the Ubuntu branch, so I didn't know.
ne0h
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ne0h »

your welcome man!
lbrocato
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lbrocato »

ne0h wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:45 pm
filozofio wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:54 am
I dream that one day LMDE will be the Mint flaship.
it's my dream too! but I don't think it will. Mint has a reputation as a distro suitable for beginners and / or for those coming from windows. and these users want up-to-date software and the latest news as soon as possible, but we know this is not going to happen with debian.
I also want to to see lmde as the flagship. but i would like to see a newer kernel for newer computer to be able to run it and xfce iso as a option for desktops. in lmde5 brave browser is a must as a default
ne0h
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ne0h »

brave? naaah.. i don't think it happens!
Michael_Hathaway
Level 3
Level 3

You can load a DE on top of LMDE. Chris and I made a video loading Awesome window manager on top. I personally prefer the way it is now.
Last edited by Michael_Hathaway on Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.