LMDE 3

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
looren
Level 2
Level 2

LMDE 3

Post by looren »

Hi

I just read the post about LMDE 3. Besides possibly being a viable option if Ubuntu would no longer be developed, would there be any advantages to running this version if/when finished in terms of stability, security, speed etc?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: LMDE 3

Post by catweazel »

looren wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:08 am Hi

I just read the post about LMDE 3. Besides possibly being a viable option if Ubuntu would no longer be developed, would there be any advantages to running this version if/when finished in terms of stability, security, speed etc?
I believe long-term stability is why people use it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
looren
Level 2
Level 2

Post by looren »

Okay, thanks !
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

IIRC, LMDE is a rolling release. That is, everything is updated as soon as it's released. No need to reinstall a new version of the OS. Your OS is upgraded to the latest and greatest via the Update Manager.

Lint Mint periodically releases LMDE but those are for those who want a new install. They are not needed if you are already running LMDE.
Don't stop where the ink does.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

shawnhcorey wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:02 am IIRC, LMDE is a rolling release. That is, everything is updated as soon as it's released. No need to reinstall a new version of the OS. Your OS is upgraded to the latest and greatest via the Update Manager.

Lint Mint periodically releases LMDE but those are for those who want a new install. They are not needed if you are already running LMDE.
I thought LMDE was no longer a rolling release, No :?:

"It was announced on May 27, 2015 that the Linux Mint team would no longer support the original rolling release version of LMDE after January 1, 2016. LMDE 2 "Betsy," the current release of LMDE, is a long term support release based on Debian Jessie."
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I tried LMDE 3 today from a DVD. It looks and runs very similar to a slightly stripped down version of Cinnamon 19. My impression is it is initially set up for desktop use VS Laptop use. WIFI is optional along with battery support as in "Power Statistics".
Just my impression! I am using 19 on my desktop.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just installed LMDE-3 Cindy on a spare partition with my 18.3 Cinnamon.
I did this to get a direct comparison between the two distros on the same exact hardware.
in my case, an ASUS TP500L with 500gB SSD, 12gB RAM

I have been going back and forth between the two, and from what I can see, they are identical in appearance even with the menus.

My gut feel is, that LMDE is slightly snappier than the 18.3 version of Cinnamon.
as my testing is less than 2 hours worth, that might me a premature opinion?

The bare metal install, no upgrades yet, boots from the Grub menu "click" to desktop in 12 seconds.

18.3 Cinnamon is 20 seconds: but, it is loaded with a year's worth of crap that I have added to it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:00 am it is loaded with a year's worth of crap that I have added to it.
In only two hours!

:mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

In my own humble opinion LMDE is by default a bit more stable as it has a very conservative update schedule, mostly getting security updates. Unlike the Ubuntu/Mint sources for Main Mint which has kernel and other updates. Mint will have new updates for the Cinnamon desktop on LMDE, but otherwise it will not change much after its release which is good or bad depending upon your point of view.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

KBD47 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:16 am

In my own humble opinion LMDE is by default a bit more stable as it has a very conservative update schedule, mostly getting security updates. Unlike the Ubuntu/Mint sources for Main Mint which has kernel and other updates. Mint will have new updates for the Cinnamon desktop on LMDE, but otherwise it will not change much after its release which is good or bad depending upon your point of view.
Just to add to that, LMDE 3 is based on Debian 9 stable, whereas Mint 19 is ultimately based on Debian 10 testing. That should give you an idea how the two releases relate to each other in terms of stable vs up-to-date.
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:00 amMy gut feel is, that LMDE is slightly snappier than the 18.3 version of Cinnamon.
as my testing is less than 2 hours worth, that might me a premature opinion?

The bare metal install, no upgrades yet, boots from the Grub menu "click" to desktop in 12 seconds.

18.3 Cinnamon is 20 seconds: but, it is loaded with a year's worth of crap that I have added to it.
That was my impression with 5 minutes of using the Live USB, too. In terms of snappiness, my subjective ranking is: LMDE > Mint 19 > Mint 18.3 :P

According to systemd-analyze, my fresh install Mint 18.3 takes around the same time to boot as your LMDE so I'm guessing boot times are probably similar. :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

hmmm, just looked at mine:

john@john-TP500LA ~ $ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 8.283s (kernel) + 15.288s (userspace) = 23.571s
john@john-TP500LA ~ $

so my guesstimate on 18.3 of 20 seconds is close... that is to the DE being up, and Firefox in Startup ready to go.
I have several things in Startup that slow it down.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

Just checked boot times on mine.
Startup finished in 3.471s (kernel) + 8.524s (userspace) = 11.995s

Lenovo ThinkPad X131e
Intel Core i3-3227U 1.9GHz
4GB RAM
128GB mSATA SSD (~5% space used)
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

SSD could be either a Transcend MSA370 or Samsung SM841. Can't remember which of the two I installed on this particular machine. This is a fresh install (as in just rebooted after I installed from Live USB). I'm redoing my setup. Again. I think I've probably installed Linux about 50 times within the past couple of weeks. At least this time I have a working knowledge of grub and fstab (Legacy BIOS mode). I still haven't braved going the UEFI route, though. :P

Will see how Mint 19 and LMDE 3 do in comparison.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

my SSD is the Samsung 860

seems to have a good track record and better longevity with constant over-writes.
I am treating it just like a HDD and not worrying about it "breaking some day".

with the /home backups, it just don't really matter,
and I make a Aptik backup occasionally also.
javierpuche
Level 1
Level 1

Post by javierpuche »

sleeper12 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:46 am
shawnhcorey wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:02 am IIRC, LMDE is a rolling release. That is, everything is updated as soon as it's released. No need to reinstall a new version of the OS. Your OS is upgraded to the latest and greatest via the Update Manager.

I thought LMDE was no longer a rolling release, No :?:

"It was announced on May 27, 2015 that the Linux Mint team would no longer support the original rolling release version of LMDE after January 1, 2016. LMDE 2 "Betsy," the current release of LMDE, is a long term support release based on Debian Jessie."
It is not a rolling release, you are right: viewtopic.php?f=251&t=265537#p1442538
javierpuche
Level 1
Level 1

Post by javierpuche »

gm10 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:27 am
KBD47 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:16 am
looren wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:08 am Just to add to that, LMDE 3 is based on Debian 9 stable, whereas Mint 19 is ultimately based on Debian 10 testing. That should give you an idea how the two releases relate to each other in terms of stable vs up-to-date.
Is Mint 19 really based on Debian 10 testing? I thought Mint is always based on ubuntu but form LMDE.

Thanks, regards.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

javierpuche wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:28 am
gm10 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:27 am Just to add to that, LMDE 3 is based on Debian 9 stable, whereas Mint 19 is ultimately based on Debian 10 testing. That should give you an idea how the two releases relate to each other in terms of stable vs up-to-date.
Is Mint 19 really based on Debian 10 testing? I thought Mint is always based on ubuntu but form LMDE.

Thanks, regards.
Mint is based on Ubuntu, but Ubuntu is based on Debian, hence my statement that "ultimately" Mint is based on Debian. It's not a strict correlation though, the Ubuntu team doesn't limit itself to the Debian testing release, they also pick from the unstable branch. That's why, on Linux Mint 19:

Code: Select all

$ cat /etc/debian_version
buster/sid
LMDE, on the other hand, is directly based on Debian, cutting the middle-man Ubuntu out. LMDE3 is based on Debian stable, i.e. the older but theoretically more mature branch.
blue_wing

Post by blue_wing »

catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:12 am

I believe long-term stability is why people use it.
+1

I'm a long time on and off (un)stable Debian (ab)user and I wanted a stable rolling release I have control of and this was just the ticket
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I think this may clear it up a bit, clipped from the Mint Blog a couple weeks ago.

this is not a bad thing, just be aware that LMDE 3 is now on the hobby level and will be used as a test bed for Cinnamon.
That may be exactly what you are looking for.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Laniakean

Post by Laniakean »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:31 pm john@john-TP500LA ~ $ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 8.283s (kernel) + 15.288s (userspace) = 23.571s
john@john-TP500LA ~ $
Never heard of that Terminal command.

On this old, Core2Duo machine with 2 GB RAM and an old Geforce 6700XL, which LMDE3 is running on, I get:

Code: Select all

kris@conroe ~ $ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 3.609s (kernel) + 23.104s (userspace) = 26.713s
kris@conroe ~ $
One of my two main computers is running Windows Vista (which works just fine, thank you very much) on an SSD. It take some 15 seconds to boot (how about that for Windows Vista, eh?)

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”