A successful upgrade to LMDE3

Questions about other topics & discussing non-support related topics related to LMDE 3.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Laniakean
Level 1
Level 1

A successful upgrade to LMDE3

Post by Laniakean » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Hello everyone,

Good news can and must be shared too, sometimes, should it not? Two evenings ago I successfully upgraded LMDE2 to LMDE3 on this old computer of mine (Core2Duo of 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Geforce 6700XL, if any hardware nerds read this).

LMDE3 only had the sound selected as Digital instead of Analog, giving me no sound, but after searching online for a minute I was able to find how to change this.

The upgrade took a long time (1.5+ hours?), but everything seems to work just fine.
Cinnamon does not seem to be the best choice for this old machine, though. I notice a tiny teeny lag here and there, and the CPU cores are always between 10 - 20%, even while doing nothing (with System Monitor open).
LMDE3 is running alongside Debian jessie with Gnome 3 <shiver>, and Gnome 3 feels snappier than Cinnamon.
Perhaps I should look for how to speed up Cinnamon.

Openbox and Fluxbox are blazing fast (of course).

- - -

On my main computer (a Core-i5 machine) I am running Linux Mint MATÉ, alongside Windows Vista (yes, THAT Vista), for several years now.
It works and looks just great.

Many aeons ago I made my first steps in the GNU/Linux world with SuSE Linux 5 (or was it version 6, or 7, or something?), but without Internet back then those steps were not very successful (I remember it took me 3 days to get sound to work, which made me as happy as a toddler with a lollipop.)

My first, true steps in the world of Linux were with Mandrake Linux (alongside the not-so-bad Windows Millennium), which went quite well, I remember.

Then, in 2007, came Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon", later succeeded by Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx".
Even up to this day, Ubuntu 10.04 was the best/nicest/greatest/loveliest OS that I have ever used (the CompizFusion effects were amazing). I really loved Ubuntu 10.04.

Like many, when Canonical came up with Unity, I dumped Ubuntu and tried Linux Mint, and I have never looked back.

A few tries with OpenSUSE and Fedora in the past didn't quite work out that well. I just seem to like the Debian derivatives (the Synaptic Package Manager is a BRILLIANT thing.)

When support for Windows XP was dropped, I also got my parents (in their 60s of age) working with Linux Mint 17.3 (xfce), and they had no problems switching (although they rather seem to like using their Mac Mini more, because it runs faster/smoother).

On an old HP business computer that I have (model dc5100, for those who know HP computers), I am also running Linux Mint 17.3 (xfce), alongside Bunsenlabs Linux (which is also a very nice distro).

An experiment of mine with FreeBSD on my aforementioned Core2Duo computer gave me an "Operating system not found" error at first boot.
I did not bother looking for a solution (pity), but I just threw Debian "jessie" right over it, which has been running alongside LMDE since then.

As for Debian - I have a kind of "like/dislike" relationship with Debian: it works... well... fine, but of all the Linux installs that I have had, Debian gave/gives me the most "headaches": small problems and little things that go wrong now and then. For example, I once had a kernel panic in Debian (first time in my life, and this only happened with Debian).
And then there is that god-awful Gnome 3, which somehow feels like a Beta version: it works, but it feels like the devs didn't think through enough how things in Gnome 3 should work. Thank Tux for the Gnome Shell Extentions.
I can not recommend Debian (to inexperienced Linux users).

I will recommend Linux Mint instead. :)

Despite my 10+ years of Linux use, I am still not more than a Linux user with some experience - which shows how good Linux as a system is (and which is the reason I never had to ask questions here at the Linux Mint forums, which I read now and then).
I was always able to solve the few problems I have had with Linux thanks to articles and blogs and Linux forums online (try THAT with MS Windows, which is the most unreliable thing I have ever worked with in my entire life - I am so sick and tired of the eternally returning problems with Windows (including Windows 10 at work) that I still have Windows Vista, which will be the very last Windows version I will ever have.
(I keep Vista mainly because of "CorelDRAW Graphics Suite" (which kicks The GIMP's butt from here to the Moon and back).

This Core2Duo machine of mine is not my main computer, and trying out LMDE2 (now LMDE3) is just for fun, but I must say that it works just fine (albeit an itsy bitsy teenie weenie slow, due to Cinnamon(?) ).

Clem and his team (again) have done a great job! Congratulations to them all!

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: A successful upgrade to LMDE3

Post by KBD47 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:45 pm

LMDE 3 with Cinnamon can be lightened up a bit be disabling window compositing. I think I was running 620 gb ram idling with window compositing turned off on Cinnamon LMDE. But 2 gb ram is not a lot of ram when running Cinnamon. If your ram is not soldered on and you have the option, another 2 gb stick of ram should make Cinnamon desktop run much more comfortably.
Vanilla Debian takes a bit more work up front, but then you can forget about it and enjoy the OS. At least that has been my experience. Ubuntu is easier out of the box, but then you have to hope an update doesn't break your machine. Also when it comes time to upgrade to the next major release Debian is generally painless. Ubuntu is a crap shoot when doing a distribution upgrade. At least that has been my experience.
LMDE is sort of the best of all things in that it is easier to install and takes less setup and tweaking. But you still have the stability of Debian. Upgrading might be a bit more complicated than Debian as Mint does tweak things from the defaults, but still better chance of a clean upgrade than with Ubuntu IMO.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”