Questions re: partitioning.

Questions about other topics & discussing non-support related topics related to LMDE 3.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tlcmd
Level 4
Level 4

Questions re: partitioning.

Post by tlcmd » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:04 pm

Would appreciate any advise or comments.
I have been using Linux Mint distros for well over 10 years; most recently LMDE2 Mate (Betsy) and am now upgrading to LMDE3 Cindy which is quite different (to me) from LMDE2 (Mate) since LMDE3 is only a cinnamon distro.. Primary use for this computer is music, surfing, email, and media; nothing really fancy.
First Basic Info: 3 1/2 year old HP computer with a quad-core Athlon chip, 12Gigs or RAM, and a 2 TB HDD.

I do have Windows 10 on a 500 Gig partition so approximately 1.3 TB is available in which to install LMDE3. My files are backed up on both Windows 10 and an external HDD.

This will be my 4th or 5th install here and I really want to do it correctly this time (good ever-lovin' blue-eyed luck!)!.

My questions generally regard partitioning except for one Windows program and will try CROSSOVER after the install; it worked on LMDE2 to install that program.

WITH 1.3 TB WIDE OPEN, I PLAN TO HAVE 3 OR 4 PARTITIONS;
OBVIOUSLY SWAP AT 12.5 GIGS
HOW MUCH WOULD YOU ALLOW FOR /; HOME; AND WOULD YOU MAKE A DATA PARTITION; WHAT SIZE?

IN WHICH PARTITION WOULD YOU PUT GRUB?

Thanks and my appreciation for past and future help,
tlcmd
Greensboro, N.C.

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Questions re: partitioning.

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:01 pm

This will help.
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... oning.html
For / which has Linux 60 gb is enough. The other partitions size is according to your data. When you have home partition it's not required to have data partition.
Let grub reside in default place. It doesn't need a different partition as the size is very small.
Good luck
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:34 pm

tlcmd wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:04 pm
I do have Windows 10 on a 500 Gig partition so approximately 1.3 TB is available in which to install LMDE3. My files are backed up on both Windows 10 and an external HDD.

This will be my 4th or 5th install here and I really want to do it correctly this time (good ever-lovin' blue-eyed luck!)!.

My questions generally regard partitioning except for one Windows program and will try CROSSOVER after the install; it worked on LMDE2 to install that program.

WITH 1.3 TB WIDE OPEN, I PLAN TO HAVE 3 OR 4 PARTITIONS;
HOW MUCH WOULD YOU ALLOW FOR /; HOME; AND WOULD YOU MAKE A DATA PARTITION; WHAT SIZE?

IN WHICH PARTITION WOULD YOU PUT GRUB?
First, please don't post in such a large font and especially in all caps. It comes across as shouting.

Now, grub depends if your Windows is installed onto a gpt filesystem disk.

Run this command (either from an installed Mint or Live Mint)

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
Paste the result of that command between [code][/code] tags for easier reading.

Will you be accessing the same files from Mint and Windows? If so, you'll need a NTFS data partition to put your files in because Windows doesn't recognize EXT4 partitions.

Some members have created symlinks from the home partition to a data partition so that when in Mint, anything saved in Documents, Music, Downloads, etc. the files get saved onto the data partition.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

axisofevil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by axisofevil » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Because Documents, Music, Downloads and so on are just supplied sub-directories, I always delete them.
If I want a mount point such as "Data" or Downloads etc I would create my own mount points or partitions.

Choose your own file structure (within reason).
Obviously not.
In the days of 512MB (or less) it made sense to say choose SWAP=RAM
Not any more.

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:07 pm

@tlcmd

I have 8 GB of RAM and don't have a swap partition. It depends on what and how much you'll be doing.

Swap will be needed if you're going to use the Hibernate feature in Mint.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”