Final Partition set up for LMDE3

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tlcmd

Final Partition set up for LMDE3

Post by tlcmd »

Thank everyone for their patience and replies and suggestions. I think this info will get me over the LMDE3 install hump:

Proposed Partitions For Linux Distro Install.

As you know, I have 1.3 TB free for a Linux distro install.
I also have 12 Gigs of RAM.

My Proposed Partitions:
Swap: 12 Gigs
/: 50 Gigs
Home: 50 Gigs
Data: rest of the 1.3 TB's

Would appreciate suggestions, comments, snide remarks.

Thanks,
tlcmd
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Final Partition set up for LMDE3

Post by gm10 »

tlcmd wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:23 am Would appreciate suggestions, comments, snide remarks.
We already gave those in your existing thread on the same topic: viewtopic.php?f=246&t=278831
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

GM10,
Sorry, but I am still unsure of partition size and number of partitions and do want to get it right. So have a final question for you if you please. Should I make my data partition NTSF rather than ext4 since I do have Windows to on this same disc?
Hopefully this will be my last partition question.
Thanks to all, especially GM10, for your patience and understanding. I just want to get it right.

tlcmd
gm10

Post by gm10 »

tlcmd wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:49 am Sorry, but I am still unsure of partition size and number of partitions and do want to get it right.
Well, if you've got a specific issue that you are unsure about I'm sure we can help, but sizes and numbers all depend on your personal needs. For example, there's nothing wrong with your 50 GB / root partition but personally my 15 GB / root is plenty for me. The installed system is about 6-7 GB. Still, your disk is huge, who cares about a few GB here and there? Why worry?
tlcmd wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:49 am So have a final question for you if you please Should I make my data partition NTSF rather than ext4 since I do have Windows to on this same disc? .
If you need your Windows to access that data partition then yes, you should format it NTFS. Windows cannot (by default) access ext4 partitions but Linux handles NTFS partitions well enough.
tlcmd

One thing leads to another

Post by tlcmd »

I have a dual boot computer with Windows 10 and LMDE3 in separate partitions on my HDD. I knew that I could access Windows info from LMDE, but was not aware that Windows could access a LMDE partition at all. So are you teaching me that if I create an NTSF partition in my LMDE partitioning setup, Windows can access it? All this after I've read the "Linux Bible" and tried different Linux distros from as far back as Linux Mint 7 before going to LMDE when the 1st one was released. I did not know I could create a NTSF partition that both Linux and Windows could both access it. If I do that, is there anything I need to do other than create that NTSF data for both Windows and Linux to access it? WOW!! This is like the time when I saw my first laparoscopic abdominal surgery. Thank you very much!!! Obviously reminded me of the song from my youth: One Kiss Led To Another. I may be a real pest here these last few days, but am really learning a lot!!
My thanks again. I guess if you are the least knowledgeable guy around, you can learn from everyone else. I am just learning enough to properly formulate and ask questions.

Gratefully,
tlcmd
gm10

Re: One thing leads to another

Post by gm10 »

tlcmd wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:30 pm I am just learning enough to properly formulate and ask questions.
Deciphering the questions here (not you particularly but in general) and answering what the user actually wanted to know instead of what they were asking is a skill you can learn quite well around here (or any support job I guess). ;)

And yes, Windows can see and use NTFS partitions you create. Make sure you mount it in Linux with the windows_names parameter so Windows file name restrictions apply, preventing you from creating file names that Windows cannot handle.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”