Running well on old Macbook

Questions about other topics & discussing non-support related topics related to LMDE 3.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
webwrx
Level 1
Level 1

Running well on old Macbook

Post by webwrx » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:28 pm

I’ve been playing with an old white 2007 MacBook and Cindy is the most stable distro on it that has worked well for me.

I recently upgraded the hardware to 3GB RAM (couldn’t get 2 x 2GB chips to work, only 1 in combo with one of the original 1GB chips), and a 256GB SSD.

I found the other Mint distros and Ubuntu and anything else Ubunto based was extremely slow to boot, (looking at 6 to 8 mins from Grub to welcome screen). Even XFCE was very slow to boot. Although once loaded all actually ran quite nicely.

Cindy boots from grub to welcome in 2 mins by comparison.

The only thing I faster was Manjaro, the fastest I tried being Manjaro Budgie which boots in about 1:10, which seemed promising at first (and Ubuntu Budgie by comparison about 4:40 grub to welcome screen). But there was a big downside to both those Budgie desktops is they kept freezing up for a minute or so when doing certain things (eg adjusting screen brightness).

I know I can go about discovering and debugging the causes of slow boots, but I just don’t want the hassle... so overall quite happy with Cindy. Reasonably fast and very reliable - especially considering it's an 11yo MacBook.

Well done to all involved in this project!!

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”