Running well on old Macbook

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
webwrx

Running well on old Macbook

Post by webwrx »

I’ve been playing with an old white 2007 MacBook and Cindy is the most stable distro on it that has worked well for me.

I recently upgraded the hardware to 3GB RAM (couldn’t get 2 x 2GB chips to work, only 1 in combo with one of the original 1GB chips), and a 256GB SSD.

I found the other Mint distros and Ubuntu and anything else Ubunto based was extremely slow to boot, (looking at 6 to 8 mins from Grub to welcome screen). Even XFCE was very slow to boot. Although once loaded all actually ran quite nicely.

Cindy boots from grub to welcome in 2 mins by comparison.

The only thing I faster was Manjaro, the fastest I tried being Manjaro Budgie which boots in about 1:10, which seemed promising at first (and Ubuntu Budgie by comparison about 4:40 grub to welcome screen). But there was a big downside to both those Budgie desktops is they kept freezing up for a minute or so when doing certain things (eg adjusting screen brightness).

I know I can go about discovering and debugging the causes of slow boots, but I just don’t want the hassle... so overall quite happy with Cindy. Reasonably fast and very reliable - especially considering it's an 11yo MacBook.

Well done to all involved in this project!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”