Dropbox's New Rules

Questions about other topics & discussing non-support related topics related to LMDE 3.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
skjones007
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:01 pm
Location: Alabama, United States

Dropbox's New Rules

Post by skjones007 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:06 am

I received a message that my dropbox will cease to work soon with my LMDE installation (as I'm sure many did). What are folks using for a replacement? Or is there a work around that I'm unaware of?
Dell System Inspiron N411Z
Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
6GB Ram, 500GB HDD

User avatar
Pierre
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7686
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Dropbox's New Rules

Post by Pierre » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 am

is your LMDE installed on either ext 3 partitions OR with ext 4 partitions ?.
- as Dropbox will only support Linux on ext4 partitions.
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

User avatar
wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:31 pm
Location: S.E. USA

Re: Dropbox's New Rules

Post by wallyUSA » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:21 am

skjones007 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:06 am
I received a message that my dropbox will cease to work soon with my LMDE installation (as I'm sure many did). What are folks using for a replacement? Or is there a work around that I'm unaware of?
Can you give the details of the message?
Tessa 19.1 Cinnamon 4.0.5 Kernel 4.15.0-42 (64 bit) as Guest in VBox.
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

skjones007
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:01 pm
Location: Alabama, United States

Re: Dropbox's New Rules

Post by skjones007 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:53 am

Pierre wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 am
is your LMDE installed on either ext 3 partitions OR with ext 4 partitions ?.
- as Dropbox will only support Linux on ext4 partitions.
installed with the included calamares installer
Dell System Inspiron N411Z
Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
6GB Ram, 500GB HDD

skjones007
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:01 pm
Location: Alabama, United States

Re: Dropbox's New Rules

Post by skjones007 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:56 am

wallyUSA wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:21 am
skjones007 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:06 am
I received a message that my dropbox will cease to work soon with my LMDE installation (as I'm sure many did). What are folks using for a replacement? Or is there a work around that I'm unaware of?
Can you give the details of the message?
message below - installed LMDE with calamares installer - does it not install on an Ext4 partition?

A few months ago, we let you know that the Dropbox desktop system requirements were changing. On at least one of your computers, your Dropbox folder will stop syncing because it’s on a file system or partition that no longer meets the requirements.

How to fix
So your files can start syncing again, choose a new location for your Dropbox folder:
xxxxxxx-LMDE, Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64
Move Dropbox to an Ext4 drive
Dell System Inspiron N411Z
Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
6GB Ram, 500GB HDD

User avatar
wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:31 pm
Location: S.E. USA

Re: Dropbox's New Rules

Post by wallyUSA » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:08 pm

Looks like the solution may be in the message:

"How to fix:
So your files can start syncing again, choose a new location for your Dropbox folder:
xxxxxxx-LMDE, Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64
Move Dropbox to an Ext4 drive"

Someone else will have to help with that.

Good luck!
Tessa 19.1 Cinnamon 4.0.5 Kernel 4.15.0-42 (64 bit) as Guest in VBox.
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

gm10
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4573
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Dropbox's New Rules

Post by gm10 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 pm

skjones007 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:56 am
message below - installed LMDE with calamares installer - does it not install on an Ext4 partition?
Check:

Code: Select all

lsblk -f

skjones007
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:01 pm
Location: Alabama, United States

Re: Dropbox's New Rules

Post by skjones007 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:43 pm

wallyUSA wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:08 pm
Looks like the solution may be in the message:

"How to fix:
So your files can start syncing again, choose a new location for your Dropbox folder:
xxxxxxx-LMDE, Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64
Move Dropbox to an Ext4 drive"

Someone else will have to help with that.

Good luck!
maybe my queston should've been "does the calamares installer not format the drive as ext4 by default?".
Dell System Inspiron N411Z
Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
6GB Ram, 500GB HDD

User avatar
Pierre
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7686
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Dropbox's New Rules

Post by Pierre » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:03 pm

you most probably do get a choice about which format, to use,,
and it may not be defaulting to the ext4 format file system.

if your partition is not in the ext 4 format,, then you would have to re-format that partition to ext 4,,
and thus suffer an loss of any data on that partition, as well.

- unless there is a way of converting to ext 4, without any data loss, that is.
:mrgreen:
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

DAMIEN1307
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA

Re: Dropbox's New Rules

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:59 pm

i dont use dropbox myself but the article below might be of help to those of you who do and need to find the work around for ext4 etc...

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/11/h ... -ext4.html
ORDO AB CHAO

axisofevil
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Dropbox's New Rules

Post by axisofevil » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:04 pm

You can't trust a cloud provider to continue to provide a service.
I dropped Dropbox long before it decided to begin a Linux withdrawal.

Don't trust cloud services!

User avatar
coffee412
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 pm
Location: Indiana, USA
Contact:

Re: Dropbox's New Rules

Post by coffee412 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:02 pm

axisofevil wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:04 pm
You can't trust a cloud provider to continue to provide a service.
I dropped Dropbox long before it decided to begin a Linux withdrawal.

Don't trust cloud services!
I echo the same thing to a lot of people. I do not trust "The Cloud" anything. This is your data and it should be kept local at all costs. I know they make it really appealing but its just not right.

Besides, You dont know if they have been compromised or not. They are not going to announce "Oh, We got broke into" because its bad for business. If they did no one would use cloud services.

I run my own server and if I want to connect to it from the internet side of things I go thru OpenVPN. I think that is the safest approach. I have only one port open to the outside and its OpenVPN. I do the same for business clients that want to access things like their calendar or files from off site.

Never trust the cloud!
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

redlined
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:12 pm
Location: Mile High, Green State (Denver, CO:)

Re: Dropbox's New Rules

Post by redlined » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:44 pm

coffee412 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:02 pm
axisofevil wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:04 pm
You can't trust a cloud provider to continue to provide a service.
I dropped Dropbox long before it decided to begin a Linux withdrawal.

Don't trust cloud services!
I echo the same thing to a lot of people. I do not trust "The Cloud" anything. This is your data and it should be kept local at all costs. I know they make it really appealing but its just not right.

Besides, You dont know if they have been compromised or not. They are not going to announce "Oh, We got broke into" because its bad for business. If they did no one would use cloud services.

I run my own server and if I want to connect to it from the internet side of things I go thru OpenVPN. I think that is the safest approach. I have only one port open to the outside and its OpenVPN. I do the same for business clients that want to access things like their calendar or files from off site.

Never trust the cloud!
I can agree with both quoted above, but I won't... the way to free yourself from FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) is to encrypt, and don't skimp, get your DiTs and DaRs encrypted, go all out!
besides Transport security/Data in transit (encrypting the path from start to finish, via DoH+https, vpn, ssh, etc) you also want to consider Data at Rest (which is what this issue now discussed is about, Cloud is the same [to me] all the emails i leave on my email provider server, as well all [personal] stuff i've uploaded or stored anywhere...

Options are simple, and sometimes even easy... Find the cloud service that you can either:
1) create and/or place an encrypted container on, then securely connect and fill that bad boy up!
or..
2) encrypt the files individually and store them.

(there may be many more methods to consider, however, I consider them outside the scope of this conversation) :P

Hope this helps! :twisted:

(secret tip- use #1 preferred, #2 is more pita, but my chocolate cookie recipe encrypted with 8192b RSA back in 2000 is still safely attached to the message I gmailed self 14 years ago!:D)
Moem kōan 42: Should tool manufacturers be required to fix their products so that you cannot use their saws to cut the tree branch that you're sitting on?

(The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is... 42!!;)

Post Reply

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”