LMDE3 with Xfce

Questions about other topics & discussing non-support related topics related to LMDE 3.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ajgreeny
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE3 with Xfce

Post by ajgreeny » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:26 pm

I have just installed LMDE3 as a virtual install in VBox 6.0 and not surprisingly the default cinnamon DE runs a bit too slowly and has several graphics glitches due probably to being a virtual install. However, in spite of thos difficulties with cinnamon I do find this new (to me) OS superb, and fast now that I have made the changes detailed below.

I have long been a big fan of Xfce, with Xubuntu 18.04 being my main installed OS; I believe Xfce offers the best combination of configurability with speed and low resource use of any of the DEs.

I therefore removed all the "cinnamon" named packages using synaptic, together with several others that were obviously related to cinnamon, eg nemo, and replaced them with the Xfce4 DE from the standard repos and what a huge difference that made to the virtual OS; immediately it ran fast and smoothly with none of the problems I had with cinnamon. I do accept that I know Xfce much better than cinnamon so can probably use it a lot more easily, but it does seem to prove to me that LMDE3 with the Xfce DE would be an extremely useful option to have available for download, so I wonder if anyone knows if it is ever likely to be made available for download in a ready-made form, saving the palaver I went through to remove cinnamon and install Xfce.

ajgringo619
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LMDE3 with Xfce

Post by ajgringo619 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:37 pm

It would be nice, but installing XFCE is really easy. I had the same problems with Cinnamon, both in VirtualBox and QEMU; XFCE, on the other hand, runs great.
Mint 19.2 XFCE
kernel 4.15.0-62-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM (435.21)

LuvNix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LuvNix » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:09 pm

Nah really doubt it. Though also tend to say it's one of the big principles of being a real gnu/Linux user too. That being an attitude of self sufficiency, a can/will do attitude and a willingness to do for yourself. Being gnu/Linux there's a metric gazillion ways to do all such as this for yourself. You can reconfigure and customize to hearts content. With the required effort and developing the know how.

Linux Mint does much to accommodate the people who use this distro's wants/preferences but the main edition (ubuntu based) has and almost surely always will be their priority. So will always get the lions share of the attention and effort. Am just happy to see them or contributors among the Mint team who are willing to maintain a Debian based edition at all.

In my experience regardless of distro ( or base) in any gnu/Linux forum, there will always be people who say this should be the default (insert any apt/utility ... desktop/window-manager etc etc imaginable.) Often again, it's something they could easily install and setup for themselves with some minimal effort anyway. Also pretty much the entire time I've been a gnu/Linux user I've went with the roll-my-own vs out-of-box approach. Install a minimal base and then config and choose everything installed on it myself. Verses going with the choices made by someone who creates/maintains xyz-distro's.

To me it's just much preferable, as no distro maintainers are going to create a distro that fits my personal preferences as well as I can and taking an out-of-box and reconfiguring everything, stripping out everything I don't want/like etc just takes so much more effort. To me isn't worth all the extra time/effort and headaches involved. Though LM is a kickbutt distro, started with it, still really like it overall and this community. So still like messing with their releases here and there to check out what's going on with LM.

Have a LM v 19.1 Cinnamon install and yep, like it well enough. Even after doing major software/reconfig surgery to it, is never going to fit my tastes as well as the gnu/Nix install(s) I roll for myself. Downloading LMDE3 now, cause I don't like ubuntu for various reasons. Though LM is different (personally don't consider Linux Mint ubuntu based, to be ubuntu. Just as I don't consider ubuntu to be anything like Debian proper.) Even though the underlying software in both LM & Ubuntu is vast majority Debian.) About to overwrite the LM main and try LMDE3.

Which of course means during the customization process, it'll include installing other desktop or window managers and trying a wide array of alternatives in software and tweaks not installed out-of-box. Like you've experienced in your case. Installing Xfce4-etc isn't an overwhelming task. You can always write a how-to on the topic. If you'd like to share something you've done and think is cool. Cause believe that's another great aspect of being an opensource enthusiast, it's great sharing with others.

ajgreeny
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ajgreeny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:26 am

Thanks to you both for your comments, particularly LuvNix, with whom, incidentally, I totally agree.

I was not intending to demand that an Xfce version of LMDE be made available but simply asking if it was ever likely.

I am also aware that cinnamon, being a Mint development (as far as I'm aware?) would probably be the default DE, and having used Linux exclusively now for nearly 14 years, I am quite capable of spinning my own version of any distro I wish.

I have often done that with the minimal install CD version of Ubuntu; it is merely lack of time to put my own version together that pushes me to the LTS versions of Xubuntu out of the box. And very good they are too, as are the Xfce versions of LM in my opinion.

I am sure by now you will all realise that I find it hard to move away from the Xfce DE; it just fits my work system better than anything else I have ever tried and I can do whatever I want without having to think too hard about what I'm doing.

LuvNix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LuvNix » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:26 am

^ Thanks and +1 what you said there. That's what I do with Debian, the netinstall and go from there. Have seen some uber-skilled nixers do incredible stuff with the minimal ubuntu thing too. Lack the desire to run that distro, though still really like LM and playing with it occasionally to see what's going on with the distro.

NOTHING wrong with the easy button, have been there, done that too. Times when you just want to install something that's ready to go out-of-box, no messing necessary. Definitely gets old constantly messing with a gnu/Linux Os. Not that someone is forced to do that. Just tend to always want to tweak and dork with whichever gnu/Nix, trying to eek more out of it, try interesting stuff or whatever. Totally get someone just wanting to fire and forget it. :)

Oops: The topic thing, have to say at this point don't really know. Installed and dorked with LMDE3, for whatever reasons installing it was a pain and required some unborking, then wham ... doing something I've done with Debian itself and another Debian stable based distro on this system, BAM Lmde face plants ... more odd breakage. Could unbork the install again but forget that. I'm not inclined to keep messing with it at this point and deleted the OS's partition. Probably install one of the LM main releases again just to satisfy curiousity and dork with.

lewyssmith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lewyssmith » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:26 am

Just a comment.
I have just come back to LMDE (now 3) from its first edition, which was my preferred of several Linux's - but not upgradeable. I forget which desktop it had, but I think it was Xfce or Mate. I was surprised to find Cinnamon now.
On my everyday system, I live with 6 desktops: Cinnamon, Gnome, LXDE, Mate, Plasma, Xfce because I help with a distribution which offers them all out-of-the-box, and I need to be able to test each one. (And it is nice to have a change from time to time). Having modest hardware, I am sensitive to relative speed. Plasma is the worst, followed by Gnome & Cinnamon (slow), with LXDE, Mate & Xfce being fastest. The surprise is Mate, which has a bigger software overhead than Cinnamon, but is really rapid. The distribution I help withr added Xfce to its single desktop offerings (Plasma & Gnome), and it went down well.

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:39 pm

May I make a small comment? I have being trying LMDE 3 as a Live system but have to say that being lumbered with the Cinnamon DE, makes it an unwieldy system which is quite slow on my Dell 1545 laptop. It's highly unlikely that I will switch to it although I am a big fan of Debian as an every day system. If you are seeking a distro with the Xfce DE and based on Debian, may I suggest you have a look at MX Linux instead. AntiX also uses Debian and is even faster, also being equipped with Xfce.

I do realise the Mint team's point of making LMDE, so they can switch to it if Ubuntu lets them down.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”