Re: LMDE 4

Post by Monsta »

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

I am excited for LMDE 4, but I have a couple of questions:

1) I am not 100% clear will it use the superb Mint installer which makes it painless to install or will you still have to manually partition things?
2) Will you be allowed to update to 5 series kernels (I fear my system 76 laptop will bork again without the 5 series)?

Thanks, sorry if this has been beaten to death, I have not had the time to read through all the posts.

I found this, and while nice, it was not exceptionally informative since they already had it installed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cl-AxW1DD4

ghkg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ghkg »

From first impressions at my side, there's eventually one nogo and one other problem let me say 't'd be easy to avoid:
1. That thing called "Files" doesn't work properly at all! Whenever changed to a subdirectory the previously adjusted zoom factor is gone. Since Thunar (with Xfce) appears being that much in advance with all it's functions I'd propose either grabbing some file manager totally different or simply releasing LMDE on Xfce. I'd prefer the latter.
2. The reason of Mint having chosen an exotic video player again is clearly out of always working with Ffmpeg's extra codecs. Do we really need them? I'd prefer to use reliable stuff like Parole - which, alas, can't produce pictures with mint codecs ...

NuBz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NuBz »

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:58 am

1) I am not 100% clear will it use the superb Mint installer which makes it painless to install or will you still have to manually partition things?
2) Will you be allowed to update to 5 series kernels (I fear my system 76 laptop will bork again without the 5 series)?

Thanks, sorry if this has been beaten to death, I have not had the time to read through all the posts.

I found this, and while nice, it was not exceptionally informative since they already had it installed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cl-AxW1DD4
Last time i used LMDE yes the installer was pretty much the same.
As far as kernels nothing is stopping you from using whatever kernel you want to use.(just be sure to keep the old one for a backup)

Although I am thinking doing so wouldn't be supported and one takes the chance of borking their system doiing such things.

zimbo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zimbo »

I run LM 19.3 as my main OS and have downloaded the LMDE4 iso to try it out as a VM in VirtualBox. When I run the LMDE installer it won't go past the Welcome screen. Has anyone else had this issue?

wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wallyUSA »

zimbo wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:42 pm
I run LM 19.3 as my main OS and have downloaded the LMDE4 iso to try it out as a VM in VirtualBox. When I run the LMDE installer it won't go past the Welcome screen. Has anyone else had this issue?
@zimbo, I just did the same thing this am. I had to change the resolution on my screen so I could see the options on the Welcome screen. Maybe that will help!?

Here are the details viewtopic.php?p=1767764#p1767764
Ulyana 20 Cinnamon 4.6.6 Kernel 5.4.0-42 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

zimbo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zimbo »

@wallyUSA Thanks for pointing me to the solution and I've increased the screen res. I had tried to move/resize the window to see if there were some buttons at the foot of it but wasn't able to. Got it installing now after being able to access the buttons after resizing the screen res.

JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

zimbo wrote: I had tried to move/resize the window to see if there were some buttons at the foot of it but wasn't able to.
A moot point now, but I believe if you hold down ALT while attempting that, you can move the oversized content within the window.

Monsieurzik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Monsieurzik »

Just « Mateize » the last beta.
Works like a charm.
LMDE 3 - Mate 1.20

nascar64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nascar64 »

LMDE 4 Beta great on this side of town,could not ask for better.

Release LMDE 4 Debbie 64-bit

Kernel Linux 4.19.0-8-amd64 x86_64

MATE 1.20.4 and

LMDE 4 Debbie cinnamon version 4.4.8 linux kernel 4.19.0-8-amd64
Last edited by nascar64 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murdock2525
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Murdock2525 »

I found a little hiccup where I use a picture as a wallpaper and it doesn't stick upon a reboot. I'll tinker a bit but it's no crisis at all. This thing is stable as a rock. If you run an Asus you need to add non-free and do the radeon driver kit. I did that within 1/2 hour of installation. I'm sure that will be handled shortly as Mintation usually puts those standard in the repos. I also can recommend the liquorix kernel....but I almost always do. I guess I'm a fanboi of it ?

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

So far so good. It did ask me to download language packs on first boot for some reason. Other than that nothing out of the ordinary.

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

NuBz wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:05 pm
MurphCID wrote:

As far as kernels nothing is stopping you from using whatever kernel you want to use.(just be sure to keep the old one for a backup)

Although I am thinking doing so wouldn't be supported and one takes the chance of borking their system doiing such things.
So using a 5 series kernel would not work, or would not be allowed under LMDE 4? One of the things I really like about Mint, is the ability to seamlessly install other series of kernels.

Murdock2525
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Murdock2525 »

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:19 pm
NuBz wrote:
MurphCID wrote:

So using a 5 series kernel would not work, or would not be allowed under LMDE 4? One of the things I really like about Mint, is the ability to seamlessly install other series of kernels.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-02-25 19-37-09.png

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Murdock2525 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:38 pm
MurphCID wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:19 pm
NuBz wrote:

Nice, how did you do that?

Murdock2525
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Murdock2525 »

Fairly basic
Open a terminal and paste this:
codename="$(find /etc/apt -type f -name '*.list' | xargs grep -E '^deb' | awk '{print $3}' | grep -Eo '^[a-z]+' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n | tail -n1 | grep -Eo '[a-z]+$')" && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https && echo -e "deb http://liquorix.net/debian $codename main\ndeb-src http://liquorix.net/debian $codename main\n\n# Mirrors:\n#\n# Unit193 - France\n# deb http://mirror.unit193.net/liquorix $codename main\n# deb-src http://mirror.unit193.net/liquorix $codename main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list && curl https://liquorix.net/linux-liquorix.pub | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update

Murdock2525
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Murdock2525 »

Her's the other "must have" for any system
https://github.com/oguzhaninan/Stacer/releases

NuBz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NuBz »

MurphCID wrote:

I didn't say it wouldn't be allowed I was more questioning whether it would be supported but that doesn't really matter since i am sure someone on the forums would help if something went wrong.

And as far as installing a different kernel one would have to check out Debians repo's to figure out the naming which I bet might be the same as Mint and install it like you would on Mint or compile one from source which can be a nightmare(don't ask about my Gentoo experiment and the 4 hours compiling what turned into a broken kernel LoL)

Pretty much I was just mentioning how since it is Linux nothing is stopping one from experimenting and trying different things which I always encourage people to do with any OS.
I hate the "you might break it" model because for one that is one way to learn and two the worst that can happen is you have to reinstall the OS. Just keep good backups of personal data and you'll be fine.

I like your style though Hahaha.
I have more than one application I built from source and run a zen kernel on this machine which runs Arch.
I love playing around with things and trying this and that, don't care if it breaks either I can fix it.

phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Post by phil995511 »

MurphCID wrote:

1) You have the choice between automatic or manual partitioning.

2) For obtain kernel v 5.x :

(if your system is not able to start a graphical environment (xwindows) correctly then use a shell / terminal (CTRL + ALT + F1) without graphical login)

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 && sudo apt install -t buster-backports linux-headers-amd64 && sudo apt install -t buster-backports firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree && reboot
Annex :

If you want to install Mate, Xfce, etc, in LMDE 4 or an another desktop environment, use in a terminal the fonction :

sudo tasksel
and select mate or/and a another desktop environment. The version on Cinnamon installed by tasksel is a older version v.3.8.8-1 (coming from outdated Debian servers), dont use it => Danger of incompatibility with the version of Cinnamon 4.x integrated in LMDE 4.

or use the fonction for Mate desktop :

sudo apt install mate-desktop-environment
or use the fonction for Xfce desktop

sudo apt install xfce4
Regards.

Post Scriptum

Add for security & better performance Intel-microcode and Hardware video acceleration :

sudo apt install intel-microcode vdpau-va-driver
Last edited by phil995511 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Debian 10 Buster Cinnamon 64 Bits (dvd iso including-firmware) on my workstation & with Mate on my laptop / Win 10 Pro 64 bits for hardware & software compatibility with some products / Raspbian 10 Buster on RPi4.

NuBz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NuBz »

phil995511 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:44 pm

Annex :

If you want to install Mate, Xfce, etc, in LMDE 4 or an another desktop environment, use in a terminal the fonction :

sudo tasksel
and select mate or/and a another desktop environment. The version on Cinnamon installed by tasksel is a older version v.3.8.8-1 (coming from outdated Debian servers), dont use it => Danger of incompatibility with the version of Cinnamon 4.x integrated in LMDE 4.

or use the fonction for Mate desktop :

sudo apt install mate-desktop-environment
or use the fonction for Xfce desktop

sudo apt install xfce4
Regards.
Debian has like 3 different packages for each DE.
It's usually pretty much minimal, middle of the road, and full.
Taskel if I recall correctly gives you everything.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”