LMDE 4

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ABR

LMDE 4

Post by ABR »

As Debian buster is in beta stage it will soon get to stable.
Regarding the LMDE 4
When will LMDE 4 be relesed after the release of Debian buster?
And I am planning to switch form Linux Mint 19.1 to LMDE 4 when it gets released. Will there be any serious disadvantage?
I am having some issues(not serious) with Linux Mint 19.1 so i might have to reset it so i guess it will be better to install LMDE 4.
Any suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
srq2625

Re: LMDE 4

Post by srq2625 »

If LMDE3 is useful in predicting what will happen with LMDE4....
  • It seem like it was about a year after Stretch was promoted to Stable that LMDE3 was released
  • There are significant differences between LM19.1 and LMDE3, not the least of which is that LM19.1 is an easier out-of-the-box experience. There are some hardware items (WiFi cards in my desktop computer, for example) that I could not get to work well with LMDE3 but were working OOB with LM19.1
While there are quite a number of customizations/differences between Debian and LMDE, as a suggestion, you might want to try installing Debian Buster (current Test) to see if it will provide you the experience you are hoping for.
bodhin

Post by bodhin »

for me lmde 3 and debian 9.8 stretch worked but the trackpad on a macbook was sketchy. mouse worked fine. i am using debian LXDE. hope that helps for added info.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

I've noticed that Mint gets priority & new Mint's come out every 2 years.

So expect the next Mint some time after April 2020,
and LMDE4 not until about 6 months after that.

[ Based on the timing of LMDE3 ]
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

ABR wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:28 am As Debian buster is in beta stage it will soon get to stable.
Regarding the LMDE 4
When will LMDE 4 be relesed after the release of Debian buster?
And I am planning to switch form Linux Mint 19.1 to LMDE 4 when it gets released. Will there be any serious disadvantage?
I am having some issues(not serious) with Linux Mint 19.1 so i might have to reset it so i guess it will be better to install LMDE 4.
Any suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!!
You probably have a year wait at least. We just got LMDE3.
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

IMO, the true question is to know if future LMDE releases may follow closely Debian releases again (as it was the case for LMDE2).
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

ABR wrote: When will LMDE 4 be relesed after the release of Debian buster?
Given that LMDE 3 was released in mid-2018, and is based on Debian 9 which was released in mid-2017, you could infer that a theoretical LMDE 4 based upon Debian 10 could appear mid-2021. But that's pure speculation. ;)
ABR wrote: Any suggestion is appreciated.
Since LMDE 3 is a mere seven months old, how about giving that a go?

Joe
thefish

LMDE 4 on Buster?

Post by thefish »

Hi everyone,

just wondering if there will be a LMDE 4 based on Buster now that it’s released? Or will we see updates to Cindy that transition us to a Buster base?

The Fish

PS: I love LMDE… It is the only distro I have stuck with for a long-term. It just works.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE 4 on Buster?

Post by xenopeek »

There will be a LMDE 4 release at some point but there's nothing announced for it beyond that.
thefish

Post by thefish »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:49 am There will be a LMDE 4 release at some point but there's nothing announced for it beyond that.
Is there any official announcement about that? I am thinking about switching to Buster on my notebook (which is currently Cindy) but I am hesitant because I have everything working so well.

If I knew there was another version or LMDE around the corner I could hold out for it. I really think Clem and team should just ditch the Ubuntu-based version of Mint and make LMDE the flagship product.

Best regards,
The Fish
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

thefish wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:07 pm
xenopeek wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:49 am There will be a LMDE 4 release at some point but there's nothing announced for it beyond that.
I really think Clem and team should just ditch the Ubuntu-based version of Mint and make LMDE the flagship product.
I would like that as well but doubt very much that will happen very soon if ever unless Conical creates a problem for Mint. Anyway that is what I understand in a nutshell from everything I have read. The reality is as things stand it seems the Ubuntu based Mint versions are way more preferred than LMDE versions.
StevenSpears

Post by StevenSpears »

I agree that Mint proper is the focus, but I have really enjoyed using LMDE for my production system for some time now. I also look forward to LMDE 4 as Buster seems to be rock solid and very nice (using it on an old laptop). One for sure for me is that they are aware of the possibilities with Ubuntu and are thinking ahead. If they stopped rolling Mint with Ubuntu, I would be just as happy with LMDE. Nice to have choices and a backup plan.
thefish

Post by thefish »

Maybe I am out-of-touch with other Linux distro’s but my experience with LMDE is that it “just works” and looks pretty good.

I use pure Debian on my servers but those are headless boxes with no GUI. What I like is that the packages are the same and the config files are (for the most part) in the same places on LMDE as they are on vanilla Debian. LMDE feels like Debian with some extra niceties that make it nice on the desktop.

If LMDE ever goes away I would probably go with Debian but would be frustrated by trying to get it back to a LMDE-like experience :-)
Len99
Level 1
Level 1

Debian version in LMDE 3 Cindy

Post by Len99 »

Hi, I have been using LM for a few years now and really like it after giving windows the flick! .... I have noticed the debian OS and also see that LMDE 3 is an alternative to LM19 and was wondering what version of Debian LMDE is using now as Buster ver 10 has been released..... if it has not already been upgraded to Buster when is that likely to happen if at all....... thanks
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: similar topic; merged
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

LMDE 3 is based on Debian Stretch. An upgrade to Debian Buster will happen when LMDE 4 is released. There is no timetable for LMDE 4 yet. Announcements about upcoming releases are done on https://blog.linuxmint.com/.
thefish

Post by thefish »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:10 am LMDE 3 is based on Debian Stretch. An upgrade to Debian Buster will happen when LMDE 4 is released. There is no timetable for LMDE 4 yet. Announcements about upcoming releases are done on https://blog.linuxmint.com/.
Hi xenopeek,

You mention that "An upgrade to Debian Buster will happen when LMDE 4 is released". Words like "will" happen and "when" seem to have some confidence associated with them. Do you have some knowledge that there will indeed be a LMDE 4 at some point?

I don't mind to wait. Just wondering if you have some inside scoop on some good news.

the Fish
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

thefish wrote:
Words like "will" happen and "when" seem to have some confidence associated with them.
Confidence, maybe (xenopeek will have to answer that). But as far as timing, pretty ambiguous. :wink:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

thefish wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:45 pmDo you have some knowledge that there will indeed be a LMDE 4 at some point?
It's on the roadmap https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap — which lists issues and features to work on; not fleshed out yet for LMDE 4 but then Debian Buster is only just released.
ChrisMW
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ChrisMW »

I am not going to hold my breath, but I'm hoping for a nice Christmas present here.... :wink:

I have tried both, and I dislike that the Ubuntu distro also has, it does a Windows on you. Suddenly, things don't work, you spend trying all sorts of fixes and suddenly it works again. I started on Mint proper and after seeing it get totally confused when I kept switching WiFi networks (client, home, other client), I switched to LMDE and have never looked back. LMDE 3 is great, it relies on Debian repositories directly unlike LMDE 2. So I'm hoping LMDE 4 will be easier to build. But as it stands, Buster is still getting used to being stable. LMDE 3 + Stretch backports is still pretty close. There is little to upgrade to if my MATE stays at the same level and I can't run a newer kernel.

I run a Ubuntu + Mate as a virtual machine and it has already done a Windows on me when I installed a newer kernel. I like Ubuntu's ability to work out of the box, but dislike the feeling of being more isolated from the OS. I know, all completely untrue of course. But as I use my machine for pretty much everything, including professional stuff, I LOVE LMDE's ability to simply always work. And a few things might not be as polished, but it's fringe stuff. The only thing that LMDE 3 didn't do well was install. I wanted it on a lvm volume using UEFI. It would not. I ended up installing Debian 9 (which worked perfectly) and converting it into LMDE 3. I did that by installing LMDE 3 as a Virtualbox client and simply then altering the repos on the host to match the VM. Then installed a truck load of packages and voila.

Other than that.... love LMDE 3, will love LMDE 4
phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Post by phil995511 »

Hello

Question to the Mint team :

I would like to know if we have a chance to see LMDE 4 Beta coming out in the next few days ??

LMDE 3 which is based on Debian 9.x is starting to have packages that are no longer updated in the latest versions (it make only security patch) and this is starting to cause problems with the use.

LMDE 3 was released a year after Debian 9.0.

I will not be able to wait for LMDE 4 a year in my case and so I will have to seriously think about migrating reluctantly to another OS with the updates are made with the latest versions and not just the level of security breaches...

Debian 9.x starts to be abandoned, it is considered old by the Debian people, just like LMDE 3 ;(
Debian 12 Bookworm 64-bit Cinnamon (main system) in dual-boot with Windows 11 64-bit (for maximum hardware and software compatibility)

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”