Why not go directly with Debian?

Questions about other topics & discussing non-support related topics related to LMDE 3.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
net
Level 1
Level 1

Why not go directly with Debian?

Post by net » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:50 pm

I tried to install LMDE 3 and it looks good.

But, still can't use it as I need the latest Kernel and with Debian Buster, it is available already for my NUC 8i7HVK.

So, why should I wait for LMDE4 when I can just go straight to Debian Buster? What is the difference really using Linux Mint Debian vs Debian directly?

Hope it is ok to ask an honest question.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Why not go directly with Debian?

Post by xenopeek » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:38 am

Major difference is software developed by Linux Mint is not available on Debian or is generally outdated. Like Software Manager and Update Manager are not available and Cinnamon is outdated (LMDE 3's Cinnamon version is newer than Debian Buster's) to name a few. On LMDE you get new releases of Linux Mint developed software every 6 months. On Debian Buster you don't. So the question boils down to whether you care for the software developed by Linux Mint.

Waiting for LMDE 4 can take a while. It's on the roadmap but there's no planning yet.

Perhaps make a support request topic on getting a newer kernel on LMDE 3. Debian backports has 4.19 for installation on LMDE 3.

net
Level 1
Level 1

Post by net » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:16 am

Wow, I didn't know the outdated software compared to debian direct.

Hmmm.... LMDE3 then.

Thank you.

thefish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thefish » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:30 pm

net wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:16 am
Wow, I didn't know the outdated software compared to debian direct.

Hmmm.... LMDE3 then.

Thank you.
My general impression is that with LMDE you get newer Mint stuff but (for a time) older Debian stuff while with vanilla Debian you get newer Debian stuff but older versions of Mint stuff. Once LMDE 4 comes out it should have everything that Buster has plus the newer Mint stuff.

I also think there is a bit more spit and polish in LMDE. Maybe that is just because I haven’t used another distro on the desktop in a while (I use vanilla Debian on my servers). But I find, for example, that the themes that come out-of-the-box are much better looking by default. All you have to do is a Google image search for “debian cinnamon” and “linux mint debian edition” to see the out-of-the-box difference.

debian-stretch-cinnamon-desktop.jpg
lmde.jpg

Now, I am sure that stuff doesn't matter because you can probably download the themes and make it look right. But then again, you know what, I think it *does* matter because:

1) How would I know what it could look like in the first place if I hadn’t first seen it in LMDE?
2) I have better things to do then fiddle with themes.

I want a nice, professional, grown-up looking OS that has a decent amount of eye-candy (but overblown) and I want to be able to watch Netfix without too much trouble.

The Fish

ChrisMW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChrisMW » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Debian direct works fine, but in my case, a lot of the Mint tweaks make sense to me, so instead of me putting them in one by one, I get a working distro much closer to what I wantby installing LMDE. Also the the updater is pretty good. It is just a little more polished. I run kernel 4.19 from the backports and MATE as well, so I suppose I could jump to Debian direct, as I'm not into Cinnamon. If you are, LMDE has more recent with that as well. And I love the LMDE ability to run all the time, suspend/resume, connect quickly to any Wifi, support my OpenVPN setup well, it all just works, doesn't gobble up resources, it is stable, dependable and I love that. I depend for work and personal stuff on this setup. I have a spare laptop (less well spec'ed) that I have setup the same way, same reason, it works. Tinkering with an OS is what I do using VirtualBox, but Virtualbox needs a solid foundation, LMDE has proven to me to be the best. I started with LMDE, moved to LMDE 2, and a brief fling with Debian Buster, but went with LMDE 3 in the end.

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Clearly understood, more power to you.

To clarify the Mate in Linux Mint thing:

1. Mate 1.20 in Debian Stable is for sure older, Mate 1.22 was published in March of this year.
2. Mate 1.22 is different, there are some refinement in the panel, but Mostly the Applications that are bundled with Mate have been upgraded, some very elegant refinements ( https://mate-desktop.org/ scroll down to Applications)
3. Mint uses Xapps. Therefore Most of Mate 1.22 is never used by Mint.
They are different than the Mate apps. Admittedly some folks that have actually used both for a bit of time prefer Xapps.
4. Distro-Glue in Mint prohibits ready access to and use of the greater Debian repositories.

Personally, I only use mintstick now. The rest of the Mint refinements I actually prefer Mate with the MATE Desktop Environment (extra components, metapackage) ... mate-desktop-environment-extras
Unfortunately it is not available in any Mint version and the components are laborious to find and grab from other sources.

Mint comes with a great suite of pre-installed applications. Easy peasy for a new Linux user, and the veterans also.
On the other hand, some folks have other preferences and install less stuff or different apps from the Debian Stable repos... that includes me obviously.

More power to us all for our freedom to choose our own paths.

PS: I have installed Mate 1.22 from the Debian Unstable repos on a couple of our machines, but most of them I have not.... it is fine but I don't much notice the difference over 1.20
Peter
Mate desktop https://mate-desktop.org/
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”