Why would I want to use LMDE vs Current LM Cinnamon?

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aberdeen

Re: Why would I want to use LMDE vs Current LM Cinnamon?

Post by Aberdeen »

my purpose is mainly create music and record my Guitar an Keys.

Mint 19 did it not bad. I saw a Debian version and decided to give it a try. while playing guitar i installed LMDE 4 on a ssd and all went pretty fast. i made a base configuration, like i did on MINT 19.

So i use BITWIG to record and create my music, and JACK of course as sound server. What i could see really fast is the LOWER latency on DEBIAN. I reached 5,69 ms on MINT 19( with 128 frames ) , and now 2,67 ms on debian (with 64 frames). No drop, no craking no popping. simply faster and perfect, so i can only recommand debian for music creation.
to install the real time kernel was a bit more " thinking " but i was able to install it with no big problem and it made a real difference.

i could install almost all packages as i did on mint 19, except BOMI player. but in fact , all run perfect. even EU game under wine. (i wish wine 5 would be on software manager,instead of wine 4)

It seems that update are not over-flooding the system. works for me.My system works now greater than ever and its great that way.

only wish i have is that some main software could be done as .deb packages and a easier overview of available packages.a update of the software management to more actual packages (libreoffice, wine and more) woukld be welcome aswell.

in all in all , i think going away from ubuntu was working great for me and i have only advantages on it. (except BOMI player)
hopefully it will stay that way or get even better -)
3rdtimer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 3rdtimer »

FWIW.....
I will continue to donate to Linux Mint with as much as I can when I can, as well as encourage it’s use to Windows users. However....I will no longer promote or use any version but LMDE. The incessant upgrades to Ubuntu based versions of Linux Mint and their accompanying updates poisons the satisfying experience of my first time use of Linux Mint 16 despite subsequent upgrades based on Ubuntu. The last Ubuntu based version of Linux Mint/Cinnamon for me was 19.2.

Clem and other forward thinking Minters who ponder the demise of Ubuntu are keenly aware of why LMDE 4+ is so important to develop further. If we as users wanted a bloated, constantly updated, over designed, invasive, controlling, ever changing, user unfriendly OS we would drink the Kool-Aid and use Windows 10. Not that 19.2 was all of those things but some things did begin to intrude on my user comfort zone and reminded me of my Windows 10 experience.

My fervent desire is that my contributions be directed toward continuing the further development of LMDE4+....and thank you for your efforts to do so. Cinnamon and Debian is a marriage made in heaven.

3rdtimer.
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 Mbd
AMD FX 4100 Quad-Core x2
32GB DDR3
LMDE 5.6.5 Elsie
5.10.0-20-amd64
Bx00Azalia (Intel HDA) 64 BIT
NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 730]
BrianI
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BrianI »

Possibly a silly question, but will Cinnamon 4.6 eventually be installable on LMDE4? At the moment I'm on Mint 19.3 Cinnamon,but not sure whether to go with LMDE4, or Mint 20 Cinnamon. :?:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Preface by saying after testing Mint 20 beta that it's going to be a terrific release and strengthens my belief that Cinnamon DE has a bright future.
To put it simply, I worry less about Debian base than Ubuntu base. There are a number of reasons for that, such as uploads breaking things on the Ubuntu base, more bloat with the Ubuntu base, not primarily community supported as Debian is, but rather driven by the needs/wants of a corporation, subject to sale unlike Debian, subject to taking new and strange paths like snap, unlike Debian which is generally very conservative in its approach to major changes.
tomh151
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomh151 »

LanceM wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:01 pm ... I noticed Chromium doesn't have the feature to turn on sync. It's Chromium and not Chromium-Browser. A slightly different version. Chrome is the same and works fine.
FWIW, I found the entry point to getting Chromium login of browser to get the full Chrome capability.

Go to: Settings > Advanced > Privacy and security > Allow Chromium sign-in. Flip this switch and RELOAD Chromium.

It will then invite you to do the Google data synching

HTH,
tomh
skywave

Post by skywave »

..I use LMDE 4 on my 2nd PC - I love it - but that's because I love Debian 8)
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

I understand LMDE is really more of a "what if" experiment, but I kind of like its more purist approach.

I installed it just for fun to test it, but have found it to be very stable and functional. I may just keep it. I don't really feel like I have a reason to go back to the main Ubuntu based Mint at this point.

Ubuntu us a large and valuable project that contributes a lot, but they also go off the deep end with stupidity every now and then, like getting rid of 32bit binaries by default, the controversy surrounding Mir, the whole Snaps stupidity, you name it. Every now and then it looks like they are trying something new to take over the Linux world.

I just like that I can distance myself from all of that, while still using a great Distribution like Mint.

Now if I only could get rid of SystemD.... Would be awesome if LMDE were based on Devuan instead of Debian :p
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Because it's not polluted by random Ubuntu stuff?
Because it's a stable Debian distro?
Because it doesn't encourage you to use random "packaging" formats like snap etc which don't work.

LMDE is not an experiment - its proved itself over many years.
It's been running as a finished distro since approx 2010 - I've been using LMDE since LMDE1 with absolutely NO problems.
I'm reasonably OK with SystemD since it runs any custom init.d scripts anyway - apart from letting it save 2 seconds of boot time, I don't touch it - because its too complicated.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

I wonder if it's best to enable backports and have kernels 5.4 or stay with the older. My laptop I didn't enable. My desktop I did with:

Code: Select all

apt update && apt install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 -y && apt install -t buster-backports linux-headers-amd64 -y && apt install -t buster-backports firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree -y && reboot
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Backports are enabled for LMDE4 by default. I have both 5.4 (bpo4) and 4.19 installed on my two machines running LMDE4. 4.19 is there in case of an issue with a subsequent 5.4 update.

Whether 5.4 is better depends on the hardware concerned. You may or may not see any improvement to performance or battery life.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

What I meant to say:
Backports are all ready enabled on LMDE4, for an update of your kernel make :

Code: Select all

apt update && apt install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 -y && apt install -t buster-backports linux-headers-amd64 -y && apt install -t buster-backports firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree -y && reboot
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

that will install kernel 5.6 currently
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

I wanted minimal updates on my rarely used laptop, so did not enable the advanced kernels.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

One thing I can't figure out is to have Home and / all on one partition. I tied it with Ext4 and with Btrfs but could find no way to configure the installer for that. I know many users want Home on its own partition, but I don't.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Automatic partitioning put /home in same partition as root on my systems :?
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

antikythera wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:24 am Automatic partitioning put /home in same partition as root on my systems :?
For me, it puts EFI first, then root, then swap, then home.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Interesting, I have EFI,swap,single ext4
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

antikythera wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:22 pm Interesting, I have EFI,swap,single ext4
Later when I get caught up today, I'll do a quick offline install and post a picture.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

No problem, I believe you, Calamares can be a strange beast. As a some time Manjaro and Arch user I am used to seeing it do things differently on different hardware from the same verified ISO.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Well the explanation is really simple - I was wrong. Default has root and home on one partition. It will let me create my own Ext4 root and home on one partition, and it will let me do it with Btrfs. Timeshift works on the Ext4 done that way, but Btrfs doesn't. It seems only to work if home is on a separate partition. Unless I'm missing something.
Edit: To clarify, with Btrfs and Root plus Home on one partition, instant Timeshift snapshots won't work, however, Rsync snapshots do. If Home is put on a separate partition, then the instant snapshot do work. Mint Cinnamon, Mate, and Xfce are not this way. With them, all on one partition allows instant snapshots. I don't know why LMDE 4 is this way, but I use Btrfs a lot wish it would work like that for LMDE 4.
Last edited by LanceM on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”