The delay from Debian 10 being released until LMDE 4 popped up and other questions

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gene0915
Level 4
Level 4

The delay from Debian 10 being released until LMDE 4 popped up and other questions

Post by gene0915 »

I'm getting ready to remove Mint 19.3 from my Plex media server and install Debian 10. The support folks on Plex's forum kinda sorta require that you use a supported distro, and Mint isn't one of them. They acknowledge the fact that Mint is built on Ubuntu (which they support) which is based off Debian (which they support) but Mint..... twisting in the wind.

I'd really like to use LMDE 4 on my media server (so I can get closer to pure Debian and LMDE makes things like Samba sharing and package management sooooooooo much easier) but just want to verify that the only differences between Debian 10.x and LMDE 4 is Cinnamon and a few other things like Xapps. Any other major/minor differences? Like with LMDE 4, does using a newer version of Cinnamon, vs. what ships with Debian 10.x, requires the use of newer libraries or something?!

Something else that has me wondering.... I noticed that when Debian 10 was released, it was many many months later that we got LMDE 4. Will that same lag continue going forward?

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The delay from Debian 10 being released until LMDE 4 popped up and other questions

Post by Bolle1961 »

gene0915 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:14 am
I'm getting ready to remove Mint 19.3 from my Plex media server and install Debian 10. The support folks on Plex's forum kinda sorta require that you use a supported distro, and Mint isn't one of them. They acknowledge the fact that Mint is built on Ubuntu (which they support) which is based off Debian (which they support) but Mint..... twisting in the wind.

I'm afraid they use the same arguments for LMDE as they use for Mint
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Re: The delay from Debian 10 being released until LMDE 4 popped up and other questions

Post by pbear »

gene0915 wrote:
... just want to verify that the only differences between Debian 10.x and LMDE 4 is Cinnamon and a few other things like Xapps.
This assumption isn't reasonable, especially considering how long it takes to build LMDE after the corresponding Debian version is released. The object of the exercise isn't to stay close to Debian. Why bother? It's to get as close to the main edition as possible using the Debian base.

gene0915
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gene0915 »

Bolle1961 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:43 pm
gene0915 wrote:

I'm afraid they use the same arguments for LMDE as they use for Mint
I agree and the more I think about it, the more I'm afraid I'll have to move my media server over to pure Debian. :( But for 2 of my other boxes, LMDE 4! :)

gene0915
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gene0915 »

pbear wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:59 pm
gene0915 wrote:
... just want to verify that the only differences between Debian 10.x and LMDE 4 is Cinnamon and a few other things like Xapps.
This assumption isn't reasonable, especially considering how long it takes to build LMDE after the corresponding Debian version is released. The object of the exercise isn't to stay close to Debian. Why bother? It's to get as close to the main edition as possible using the Debian base.
You're right. I mean, for MY purposes, having a pure Debian distro with just an updated Cinnamon and the Mint team's magical touch would be nice but ultimately I'll probably go with pure Debian on my media box. I don't log into it all that often but when I do, I'll miss the Mint touch. :( Especially the Samba sharing. I can't go on enough about how awesome the Mint team made that feature in Mint and LMDE. When setting up Samba in Debian, it feels like I'm trapped in 1995 with the .conf editing you have to do to get it working. 30 long years of no progress on that front. Where as in Mint/LMDE..... right click and share and you're done. I think I can maybe add that with Nautilus in pure Debian.... will have to dig into that.

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

gene0915 wrote:
Have you a specific problem with Plex that they are not willing to troubleshoot with you whilst you are not on a Supported distro? If so share. Plex works fine on Mint in my experience and we might be able to help.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”