LMDE main focus?

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE main focus?

Post by jwiz »

Well, what else is there really?
Debian is probably the last of the large scale community projects in the linux world.
Pretty much everything else has gone totally corporate, just look at the LF.
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FinixFighter »

When things go corporate, then troubles start! Capitalism sucks!
stallmansupport.org
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well, I just came over to this thread from this one, and I've spent some time reading up on things.

I've never touched LMDE but I fully support Clem's Plan B. After all, one never knows what will happen, and it would really be stupid to try and go some other direction when LM is, in essence, a Debian descendant already.

I've got very fond memories of running Debian as a headless Mac mini G4 in-home file server. I have a lot of respect for them. Up-thread there's been a back-and-forth about whether LMDE should be Stable- or Testing-based, and while I wouldn't really want to get too hot and heavy into that particular subdiscussion, I'll simply say that, in my experience, Debian Unstable, much less Testing, is more stable than most other distros' "stable" releases.

I definitely don't think one single distribution should be the gatekeeper for all software distribution, no matter how benevolent they may be (or seem to be) so, on that particular note, I agree it makes sense to plan for a future move. Perhaps it should come sooner rather than later.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

*reads all comments above...tries to throw a nice bucket of ice water to calm the overheated hot tub

Laughing......fatcheck.....babies

That is all :lol: :D
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I support Mint and the decision to put out LMDE. I think that there could be a little more...convergence between the two, especially in regards to Kernels, with an easy installation of the 5.4 kernels on LMDE. I will load it at some point, but right now I need the 5.4 kernel to run my System 76 systems. Keep up the great work guys! Mint rocks, Mint forever.
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

What if the developers considered basing the kernel on Devuan's (a non-Systemd fork of Debian, and just that), while allowing advanced users to select an init on a new install prompt (e.g. Systemd, OpenRC, SysVinit, Runit, Minit, InitNG)? That would solve the (many) issues people have been having with Systemd over the years by letting them have more leeway with managing services.

That would be pretty neat.

P.S. Shipping Cinnamon as the only DE might also be another reason why it's not prioritized as much. Xfce and even MATE are more than ideal for their lightweight features, whereas Cinnamon does require more resources (albeit not as much as GNOME or KDE Plasma).
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

You can install the 5.6 kernel on LMDE through Debian Backports.
ddog241

Post by ddog241 »

M_aD wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:40 am
asinoro wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:07 am LMDE gives 32-bit version where Mint 20 don't.
That is because Debian still supports 32 Bit where Ubuntu does not. That's the reason why Mint 20 only has 64bit iso's.
However, in the future Debian might also drop 32 bit because 32 bit is slowly being phased out. A lot distributions only support 64 bit these days.
my guess is 32bit debian will go away in version 11, if not 11 then by 12.
im the kind of guy who never buys new machines and stuff I just use stuff people throw away and its been about a decade since I picked up a machine to use that was not able to run 64bit.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Even if it did go away in 11, that's essentially support until 2026 (EOL LTS maintenance) for 32-bit hardware
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
thefish

Post by thefish »

FinixFighter wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:38 pm When things go corporate, then troubles start! Capitalism sucks!
Yeah, the ability to freely and willingly do business with whomever you choose is such an onerous burden.

Yes, capitalism sucks. It just sucks a whole lot less than any other alternative.
thefish

Post by thefish »

bookter wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:04 pm
thefish wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:34 am So, based on the APT/Snap/Chromium/Ubuntu issue who thinks it is time for Clem and team to make LMDE the main focus?

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3906

FWIW, I'm starting to agree with you. The first straw on the camel's back was Ubuntu's dropping of KDE. Last week I tried to upgrade from Mint 19.3 to 20, only to find that Chromium is broken and Dukto is broken also. I had a choice to make: Go back to OpenSUSE, install real Debian, or LMDE. I decided against SUSE right away as it isn't as stable as it used to be & requires far too much tweaking to be made so. I'm at a point in my life where I want things to ™Just Work. I tried real Debian for a couple of days & had lockup problems. So I installed LMDE 4 and here I am. So far so good. All my stuff works so far.

"So far." I'm sure I'll encounter some glitches down the road, but Ubuntu's lovable antics have driven me off. Again I say, I'm at a point where I value stability above all else, and I don't like to be hit with gotcha after gotcha after gotcha
LMDE is the distro that got me to stop “distro hopping”.

I used to be an OpenSUSE user way back when KDE 3 was current. Then I went to Ubuntu circa 2008 (like so many did). Initially I was very impressed with Ubuntu’s fit and finish, polish and professionalism. But then Ubuntu turned me off with Unity. This was around the same time as Windows 8 and it seemed like Canonical was just another company pushing their agenda of trying to re-imagine how we should use our computers. I didn't use Linux a lot for much of anything serious during this time. I just played around with it and lived firmly in a Windows-only world for all practical purposes (I am a .NET developer).

By then I was pretty committed to the Debian side of the Linux family tree. I don’t like the idea of distros that are derivatives of distros that are themselves a derivative of another distro (i.e. how Mint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian). Seems like too many steps and your stuck living with decisions of too many other groups. On top of that I don’t trust Canonical to not push their agenda again (and it seems like the Chromium/Snap thing is Canonical doing exactly that).

LMDE is a nice, sane, modern desktop. It works great on my 4th Gen X1 Carbon. Some of the packages are a little dated but I don’t really care. Newer versions will come when they come. It is virtually identical to pure Debian which is what I use on my servers so it really just seems like a slightly more polished-up version of Debian.

But then again I don’t use it for gaming, etc. I just use it for IT stuff.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”