LMDE 5

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheyLive
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE 5

Post by TheyLive »

Hi!

Can I see LMDE 5 release next months?
>>>>> Goodly Mint <<<<< Only browser addon for this forum
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LMDE 5

Post by antikythera »

Highly doubt it, LMDE4 has not been out that long in Debian terms. LMDE releases usually come months after Debian itself gets a major release update, so the next would be after Debian 11 (codename Bullseye) is released.

Code: Select all

Host: ga-am1m-s2h Kernel: 4.19.0-9-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.6 wm: muffin 4.6.2 dm: LightDM 1.26.0 
  Distro: LMDE 4 Debbie base: Debian 10.2 buster 
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

Yeah, Debian 10, Buster was released in July 2019, approximately two years after the previous release of Debian 9, Stretch. LMDE4 Debbie was released 8 months after Buster, in march of this year.

So, if things follow the same cadence (but they rarely do, something always happens) Debian 11 Bullseye will probably be out mid 2021 some time, with LMDE5 coming early 2022.

If you wanted quick new releases of new features, LDME was not the right distribution to choose. Debian is a staid and often server centered distribution with much more focus placed on stability and security, and much less focus placed on new features. It will often be several versions behind on many key software components and the kernel, based on what has been the most thoroughly tested and patched, and new releases come only ~ once every two years.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
murdokkk2525

Post by murdokkk2525 »

If you're a Cinnamon guys, sit tight and wait it out. If you like other DE/WM Sparky will get you "rolling" immediately
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

murdokkk2525 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:41 am If you're a Cinnamon guys, sit tight and wait it out. If you like other DE/WM Sparky will get you "rolling" immediately
OR just use Debian.
*Huge pool of dedicated developers that have a primary focus on Debian and with a goal of Stability.

Stable if you want/need Reliable and bug free.
Testing if you want "shiny new things" and can afford down time. (or have bleeding edge hardware)
SID if you want to just play.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

sdibaja wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:38 am Stable if you want/need Reliable and bug free.
That's what I'm using LMDE4 for, it's obviously frankendebian but very stable being based on Buster with the added bonus of the latest Cinnamon from the Linux Mint team who develop it. I've done the bleeding edge with Manjaro and openSUSE Tumbleweed, the half-way house with Fedora and the LTS with CentOS before. I have no interest in Sparky or Debian Testing, I'm done with distro-hopping and high maintenance distributions :wink:

The main Mint Edition is getting a lot of small update sets at the moment partly caused by Ubuntu switching to phased package releases, so it's kind of like a constantly dripping tap.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
murdokkk2525

Post by murdokkk2525 »

sdibaja wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:38 am
murdokkk2525 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:41 am If you're a Cinnamon guys, sit tight and wait it out. If you like other DE/WM Sparky will get you "rolling" immediately
OR just use Debian.
*Huge pool of dedicated developers that have a primary focus on Debian and with a goal of Stability.

Stable if you want/need Reliable and bug free.
Testing if you want "shiny new things" and can afford down time. (or have bleeding edge hardware)
SID if you want to just play.
Never had much problems with either testing or sid. If so Timeshift put's you back in business in 30-45 seconds and you sit for a bit before upgrading again.
Sparky---others too) had a glitch with freezing up Chromium based stuff about a week ago.
Timeshifted back a day to get back working and reupped about 4 days later. Back in business.Not sure what happened there. Kernel perhaps.
MEGA NZ had a sync problem a while back. same dealio. It was up to snuff in a couple weeks. Their guys fixed it.One of their tech guys was a dev for Linux Lite OS so he can tune some Linux with the best of them
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

murdokkk2525 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:57 pm Never had much problems with either testing or sid.
So am I. My Testing has been rolling fine from Wheezy to Bullseye and the Cinnamon version is as new as possible.
-=t42=-
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

antikythera wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:46 pm
sdibaja wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:38 am Stable if you want/need Reliable and bug free.
That's what I'm using LMDE4 for, it's obviously frankendebian but very stable being based on Buster with the added bonus of the latest Cinnamon from the Linux Mint team who develop it. I've done the bleeding edge with Manjaro and openSUSE Tumbleweed, the half-way house with Fedora and the LTS with CentOS before. I have no interest in Sparky or Debian Testing, I'm done with distro-hopping and high maintenance distributions :wink:

The main Mint Edition is getting a lot of small update sets at the moment partly caused by Ubuntu switching to phased package releases, so it's kind of like a constantly dripping tap.
LMDE does not use Debian Stable, they use Backports which is mix of Testing and SID.
https://wiki.debian.org/Backports

I have no idea what Sparky uses... use whatever you feel comfortable with.

*Timeshift is not needed with Debian Stable.
Peter
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Backports are enabled but not used by default in LMDE4, it's still entirely up to the end user to use backported packages or not. The only ones I am running are forced flatpak platform updates.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

sdibaja wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:38 am OR just use Debian.
But then you have all the bloat and the piddling about with firmware , proprietary drivers , codecs making sure things like the media players is using hardware acceleration and such blah blah blah...

The latest LMDE takes care of all that.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Lucap wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:35 am But then you have all the bloat and the piddling about with firmware , proprietary drivers , codecs making sure things like the media players is using hardware acceleration and such blah blah blah...
There is always:
Unofficial non-free images including firmware packages
-=t42=-
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Mint has a schedule of aiming for just after Ubuntu LTR - the next one will be in April 2022

Most of the code is identical, so I can't see LMDE5 emerging before late 2022.
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mshmm »

axisofevil wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:42 am Mint has a schedule of aiming for just after Ubuntu LTR - the next one will be in April 2022

Most of the code is identical, so I can't see LMDE5 emerging before late 2022.
That's true for the main edition, but not for LMDE, which is based on Debian Stable rather than Ubuntu LTS. The freeze for Debian 11 Bullseye has started https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBullseye and a release in the summer of this year is likely.

The Mint team put a lot of work into LMDE 4 to bring it closer in features to the main edition, and I expect that less such work is needed on LMDE 5. All the new versions of Cinnamon and Mint apps (included the new ones like Warpinator and Hypnotix) have been backported to LMDE 4. LMDE is Plan B, so work on 20.2 and 20.3 will take priority, but I would be surprised if LMDE 5 has not been released by Christmas of this year.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Agreed, LMDE4 actually surfaced before the release of Mint 20 too, it had Mint 19.2 and 19.3 artwork and themes which were upgraded when Mint 20 got released with Ulyanna artwork and Warpinator was the only major backported application from Mint 20 package list to LMDE4 in reality. All the other developments towards the Mint 20 ISO were rolled out and tried on the LMDE4 base first.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

mshmm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:16 pm
That's true for the main edition, but not for LMDE, which is based on Debian Stable rather than Ubuntu LTS. The freeze for Debian 11 Bullseye has started https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBullseye and a release in the summer of this year is likely.

The Mint team put a lot of work into LMDE 4 to bring it closer in features to the main edition, and I expect that less such work is needed on LMDE 5. All the new versions of Cinnamon and Mint apps (included the new ones like Warpinator and Hypnotix) have been backported to LMDE 4. LMDE is Plan B, so work on 20.2 and 20.3 will take priority, but I would be surprised if LMDE 5 has not been released by Christmas of this year.
I'm very pleased to hear this - glad to see LMDE getting a higher profile; it hardly gets a mention in the monthly Mint Blog.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

My guess is we'll be able to get Debian 11 + non-free before we can get LMDE/5. This is what happened to me last time; I'm still running straight Debian 10.4 as a result.

I had to use the Main Edition on a budget build that I did for a buddy: That build used a Ryzen 3 with integrated graphics and needed a newer kernel. Similarly, I had to use Manjaro on a lap-top conversion that I did for my daughter ( she refused the W/10 that came pre installed ) .

"FWIW" I think kernel 4.19 is getting a bit long in the tooth. This announcement indicates that kernel 5.10 is now stable
https://www.debugpoint.com/2020/12/linu ... ouncement/

I really like LMDE/4 but running too far behind sometimes doesn't work.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

mike acker wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:09 am My guess is we'll be able to get Debian 11 + non-free before we can get LMDE/5. This is what happened to me last time; I'm still running straight Debian 10.4 as a result.

I had to use the Main Edition on a budget build that I did for a buddy: That build used a Ryzen 3 with integrated graphics and needed a newer kernel. Similarly, I had to use Manjaro on a lap-top conversion that I did for my daughter ( she refused the W/10 that came pre installed ) .

"FWIW" I think kernel 4.19 is getting a bit long in the tooth. This announcement indicates that kernel 5.10 is now stable
https://www.debugpoint.com/2020/12/linu ... ouncement/

I really like LMDE/4 but running too far behind sometimes doesn't work.
I you want it you can get Debian Bullseye today (the future 11). It is still in testing mode, but is now in the "soft freeze" and relatively mature and stable.
just use the Bullseye Alpha 3 installer https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ ....scroll way down for non-free firmware info, it's all there.
Use the netinstall ISO and it will be fully updated when you finish.
I suspect LMDE5 will be built on Bullseye... but that's up to Clem as to how/if/when that happens.

I have Bullseye installed alongside my normal Debian for testing... I will wait until the final Stable release is out before I update or migrate.
BTW: there are no "versions" such as Debian 10.4, Debian 10.3, Debian 10.6 etc. Those are point releases of updated ISOs. Any Debian 10 install, Updated, is the latest (Debian 10.7) https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases/PointReleases

I believe Bullseye is now using Linux kernel 5.10 if you need that for your hardware, I do not. The 14.9.0-14 kernel (the current security patch) is fine for us.

Yes, LMDE will always be "behind" Debian, the base. It takes time for Mint to build and tweak on top. It might be days, or maybe months... I believe they keep up with Security issues fairly promptly.

Enjoy!
Peter
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I can't wait to see what's behind Bully. Hopefully a Speedboat rather than a Caravan or Austin Morris Ital. Either way, it should ship with kernel 180. That would be Super! Smashing! Great!

rdb_1212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rdb_1212 »

You actually don't have to wait for LMDE 5. Just install Siduction or SparkyLinux. Siduction has a Cinnamon iso. With Sparky, I downloaded the Semi-rolling release with Mate Desktop, then used Synaptic to get Cinnamon. Both are using the Debian sid repositories, running kernel 5.10 at the moment. Install one alongside LMDE 4. You want to keep a good stable Debian OS on your system, even if the kernel is 40 years old. LOL.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”