LMDE 5

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LMDE 5

Post by sdibaja »

rdb_1212 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:38 am You actually don't have to wait for LMDE 5. Just install Siduction or SparkyLinux. Siduction has a Cinnamon iso. With Sparky, I downloaded the Semi-rolling release with Mate Desktop, then used Synaptic to get Cinnamon. Both are using the Debian sid repositories, running kernel 5.10 at the moment. Install one alongside LMDE 4. You want to keep a good stable Debian OS on your system, even if the kernel is 40 years old. LOL.
sticking with LMDE is ok, Jumping distos is also fine. You absolutely don't have to do it Clem's way.

Siduction and SparkyLinux are quite different from each other, and way different from LMDE
all have lots of Distro Glue

IF you want to avoid the homebrew (and the cruft) you can start with Debian, using any of the half dozen most popular desktops, then go to Testing or Sid.

I have my own tastes and prefer Stable for a daily driver. LMDE has gone a different direction
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
rdb_1212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rdb_1212 »

IF you want to avoid the homebrew (and the cruft) you can start with Debian, using any of the half dozen most popular desktops, then go to Testing or Sid.
I know what you're saying, but after having tried straight-up Debian, and seeing how much more simple it is to use Siduction or Sparky, which deviate very little from Debian, that's why I didn't recommend Debian. With Sparky or Siduction, you're completely ready to explore the world of Rolling Debian in about 30 minutes.
Last edited by Moem on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

I wonder if there will be an LMDE 5 ever since the package manager for CInnamon on Debian has given up?
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

jwiz wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:06 am I wonder if there will be an LMDE 5 ever since the package manager for CInnamon on Debian has given up?
1. Can you explain a connection of Debian's Cinnamon packaging with LMDE?
2. Debian's maintenance for Cinnamon is safe as Joshua is stepping up lists.debian.org
-=t42=-
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

t42 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:01 am
jwiz wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:06 am I wonder if there will be an LMDE 5 ever since the package manager for CInnamon on Debian has given up?
1. Can you explain a connection of Debian's Cinnamon packaging with LMDE?
2. Debian's maintenance for Cinnamon is safe as Joshua is stepping up lists.debian.org
that's good news. The LMDE users were concerned.
Peter
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

Good news, truely.
I am considering going back to Debian anyhow, as Mint seems to be stuck with Xorg/Xwayland.
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mshmm »

The Full Freeze of Debian 11 Bullseye has been announced for 17th July https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00000.html. The final release will hopefully follow at the end of that month.

By my reckoning, LMDE 5 will be released before the end of 2021, and before Mint 20.3.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

mshmm wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:21 am By my reckoning, LMDE 5 will be released before the end of 2021, and before Mint 20.3.
Just after several months of the Bullsey release? It was a year last time.
There's no hurry, Debian Long Term Support ends:
Debian 8 “Jessie” June 30, 2020
Debian 9 “Stretch” June 30, 2022
Debian 10 “Buster” June, 2024
-=t42=-
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mshmm »

t42 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:18 am
mshmm wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:21 am By my reckoning, LMDE 5 will be released before the end of 2021, and before Mint 20.3.
The Mint team put a lot of work into LMDE 4 to bring it closer in features to the main edition, and I expect that less such work is needed on LMDE 5. All the new versions of Cinnamon and Mint apps up till now (including the new ones like Warpinator and Hypnotix) have been backported to LMDE 4.

But yes, there is no hurry 🐌
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Just a few comments and thoughts about LMDE5.

I assume when LMDE5 arrives it will be cinnamon only without Xfce being available, as was the case with LMDE3 and LMDE4 which I still believe is a great pity, but that's just my preference for Xfce coming across loud and clear.

I did try the cinnamon version of LMDE4 but after so may years using Xfce I could not get used to it so I installed Xfce4 and removed all that I could find which was obviously a part of cinnamon, then ran apt autoremove which resulted in a version of LMDE4 but with Xfce which ran brilliantly and a lot faster than the cinnamon version. Brilliant!

Incidentally I have been running Debian 11 Xfce for a long time now, without any problems at all. It has been stable, fast, and with the non-free repos as mentioned in a previous post of this thread, I feel it comes very close to LMDE, admittedly without the specifically Mint packages included in LMDE, though I've not missed any of those, seldom if ever using them even when running Mint or LMDE.
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cretsiah »

I wonder if the LMDE crew could convince the germans who made an un-official lmde xfce to join its team and maybe have 2 versions of LMDE

Cinnamon
XFCE

could maybe start with different kernel...

i only bring this up based on my experiment with Mint main where i needed to use the cinnamon version for my ryzen 5 3400g and could use xfce better on my AMD FX 8320 set-ups.
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by argentwolf »

cretsiah wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:03 am I wonder if the LMDE crew could convince the germans who made an un-official lmde xfce to join its team and maybe have 2 versions of LMDE

Cinnamon
XFCE

could maybe start with different kernel...

i only bring this up based on my experiment with Mint main where i needed to use the cinnamon version for my ryzen 5 3400g and could use xfce better on my AMD FX 8320 set-ups.
This selfish reasoning shows exactly why the thousands of distros exist. Clem is not endeavoring brilliant for a couple hundred users. D'oh!
Vanguard debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing whimsically.
LMDE 6 | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931GiB SSD | 298 GiB HD
LMDE 6| 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465 GiB SSD
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cretsiah »

@argentwolf This selfish reasoning shows exactly why the thousands of distros exist.
this sounds like your looking for a fight for some reason but im not interested.

as for the german crew for all i know they are already part of the lmde team.

my AMD FX 8320 has already been running mint main xfce for close on 12 months with great success, im now experimenting with lmde on this system so that i can see the differences.
so far for this system under lmde
- i have found the required fix for my non-connecting wifi.
- looking at how my steam games library runs in comparison with mint ubuntu based.
- reading up on the ways to try add another kernel to lmde (i know they exist under synaptic)
- trying to find the thread/post that suggested adding xfce to lmde and purging cinnamon (havent found that 1 yet)

and do it all in time for when i get my 4TB drive.

as for my ryzen 5 3400g system it had been running popos! for over 6 months but it was doing weird things on updates, wasnt as comfortable to move around in, so put mint cinnamon on it and the only reason for that is that the xfce version wouldn't load the amdgpu driver (it was installed just wouldn't load no idea why).

but ok you do you and i will go with what works for me
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by argentwolf »

cretsiah wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:21 am
@argentwolf This selfish reasoning shows exactly why the thousands of distros exist.
this sounds like your looking for a fight for some reason but im not interested.

as for the german crew for all i know they are already part of the lmde team.

my AMD FX 8320 has already been running mint main xfce for close on 12 months with great success, im now experimenting with lmde on this system so that i can see the differences.
so far for this system under lmde
- i have found the required fix for my non-connecting wifi.
- looking at how my steam games library runs in comparison with mint ubuntu based.
- reading up on the ways to try add another kernel to lmde (i know they exist under synaptic)
- trying to find the thread/post that suggested adding xfce to lmde and purging cinnamon (havent found that 1 yet)

and do it all in time for when i get my 4TB drive.

as for my ryzen 5 3400g system it had been running popos! for over 6 months but it was doing weird things on updates, wasnt as comfortable to move around in, so put mint cinnamon on it and the only reason for that is that the xfce version wouldn't load the amdgpu driver (it was installed just wouldn't load no idea why).

but ok you do you and i will go with what works for me
missed_point.jpeg
missed_point.jpeg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 4734 times
LMDE 6 | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931GiB SSD | 298 GiB HD
LMDE 6| 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465 GiB SSD
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

t42 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:24 pm
murdokkk2525 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:57 pm Never had much problems with either testing or sid.
So am I. My Testing has been rolling fine from Wheezy to Bullseye and the Cinnamon version is as new as possible.
+1 Been running with Cinnamon on Debian 11 Bullseye for a few months now. I start with netinstl (miniumum CD) which means "it" (read software packages) only get installed if I install them. Yes, there were a few that were not obvious like make, build-essential, m4, and fakeroot for example that I had to figure out but the Debian WiKis are pretty good when it come to dependencies.

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 5.10.0-7-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) 
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by argentwolf »

Debian Stable with its proven store = Just-works!
Everything more = Works-just till it doesn't. D'oh!
The 'more' risk was/is always yours to venture...unimpressed with expected failure. Yawn...
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by argentwolf »

There's wisdom and light in this talk (below)...meaningful truth can arrive in vessels accidental.

"More thoughts on digital privacy and blowing the lid on Trendy Talk"
https://youtu.be/gt2RvjpZ-ho
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

[/quote]
[/quote]

2024?? wow this is great! i was worried about the support !!!
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

ne0h wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:46 am
[/quote]

2024?? wow this is great! i was worried about the support !!!
[/quote]

It's a little more complicated than that.

Buster End of life date is ~2022-08
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases# ... n_Releases

The Debian Wiki is a great resource. More reliable/accurate than social media and forums
*Linux Mint support and life cycle is different.

Long Term Support is different:
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
Peter
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

2022-08???
I don't know how LMDE works as it is new to me, coming from other distros. But the LMDE5 version will come out before the end of debian buster support right?

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”