LMDE as XFCE

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mintous

LMDE as XFCE

Post by Mintous »

I wonder if LMDE gonna provide XFCE support (.iso), and if not why?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rjmockler
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE as XFCE

Post by rjmockler »

The meta-package for xfce4 is in the repositories, so just install it, log out, and when logging back in select the xfce option. Your system will continue to boot into xfce until you change it on the login page. That is what I did with Mate in LMDE4 and it works perfectly.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

From previous announcements, it seems that Mint doesn't plan to provide official support for any other desktops than Cinnamon in LMDE.

I suspect that it is a question of resources. LMDE is not Mint's main project and resources are better spent on supporting and developing the three flavours of "mainstream" Mint.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I did the same as rjmockler when trying LMDE 3 as a VM in Virtualbox where cinnamon was giving a very slow running system.

I normally run an Xfce4 system so looked to see which packages for cinnamon would be installed if I added the cinnamon desktop to that. This gave me a list of the packages that I assumed I could remove from the LMDE cinnamon system and which would all have been replaced by their Xfce versions.
I removed all of them and this worked fine in removing all the unneeded cinnamon applications that would have been duplicated by the addition of Xfce, meaning I did not have two file-managers, text-editors, terminals , etc etc.

The system would probably have worked fine without those applications and packages being removed, but I prefer to keep my OS as clean as possible, and I have yet to find a DE that works for me as well as Xfce4.
cpedretti
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpedretti »

I just noticed that on LMDE4 xfce is only in version 4.12, while version 4.14 has been out for a while, and mint-meta-xfce is only available for repositories under bionic / focal.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 32GB DDR4 RGB White - RTX4060TI O8GB White- SSD NVME Crucial P5 500GB - Mobo Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550 V2 - PSU Corsair RM750 White - Case Corsair 5000D Airflow White 7 fans AF120 ARGB - AIO Corsair H100I Cappelix 240 White
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

That's because LMDE4 uses Debian Buster repositories as a base and not Ubuntu's. There's a task-xfce-desktop or just plain the xfce metapackage.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Just to add to that; Debian Stable is still on 4.12. Debian Unstable has 4.14.
Nuts2u
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nuts2u »

sudo tasksel....pick your DE and it will install seamlessly.....I installed MATE this way and I have had no issues.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.
jarp53
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jarp53 »

I also would like to clean up my system and remove the cinnamon packages , and wine is taking to long to start I have no problem reinstalling it if I have to , Am not planning to go back to cinnamon desktop , so could you please tell me how to review my packages and recognize which ones I can remove .
jarp53
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jarp53 »

I removed everything in synaptic under cinnamon and run apt autoremove , but now I need to remove google chrome , when I remove it from synaptic and even after I run apt purge the icon in the menu shows no application , but when I reinstall , debian packege says there is aversion already install and I click the Icon is the google that I have already customize and sign into , the reason I need to reinstall it is that is glitch y .
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

If you installed Google Chrome with flatpak (which I assume) you got to remove it with flatpak too.
God, I hate this mix of package managers.
jarp53
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jarp53 »

no is not a flatpak, I guess I'll star deleting all the google chrome files
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

how to purge cinnamon is covered here:

viewtopic.php?f=246&t=320242
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
jarp53
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jarp53 »

thanks; wish I would have done this first

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”