Backports - Check everything works normally

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Backports - Check everything works normally

Post by antikythera »

So I was using backport linux-firmware packages and 5.4 kernels on my laptop up until I noticed something odd last night with the battery life remaining on my laptop when it got low. It was alternating between 0 minutes remaining and an actual time. I opened the power manager applet menu and there were also two instances of my M570 battery shown. There should only be one.

I had kernel 4.19 installed still anyway so booted into that instead of 5.4. The problem remained, so I also downgraded the linux-firmware packages. Problem gone. For that matter it could have been there all along and I just didn't notice until now because of the value alternation.

I had 5.4 installed because the I/O scheduler is marginally better than 4.19, but for the amount of latency it mitigates I'd rather have stable power management instead.

Lesson learnt, check literally everything because intermittent quirks can pop up in random places.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”