Reluctantly I am leaving Linux mint and LMDE

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zeeman
Level 2
Level 2

Reluctantly I am leaving Linux mint and LMDE

Post by Zeeman »

Reluctantly I leave Linux Mint but unfortunately this is the only solution to get rid of the accumulating frustrations actually caused by Ubuntu because the problems only occur with Ubuntu based distros.
problem 1: during installation: running 'grub-install / dev / sda' failed
problem 2: after using boot repair I get the message that a fatal error occurred during the restore.
problem 3: probably caused by problem 1 & 2 if there are new updates some packages cannot be extracted (presumably due to grub issues)

As for LMDE I don't have the above problems at all but with the original let's just say classic kernel 4.19 won't shut down or restart my laptop, thought after some searching I found the solution but still getting updates for kernel 4.19 while my system runs on 5.6, which I don't like at all.
LMDE 4 is actually just Debian Buster Cinnamon, only the Cinnamon version with LMDE 4 is a newer version.
It's about time work was done that LMDE 4 runs on a newer kernel and that it gets the same Update Manager as Linux mint 20
then there is a chance that I will return. I say maybe because by then I might be used to working with pclinuxos, mageia or opensuse.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Reluctantly I am leaving Linux mint and LMDE

Post by MrEen »

Zeeman wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:04 pmI found the solution but still getting updates for kernel 4.19 while my system runs on 5.6, which I don't like at all.
Just uninstall the 4.19 kernels that are installed and you won't get any more updates for them. Installing 5.6 doesn't uninstall 4.19.

I assume it's the same method as the Ubuntu based systems. Update Manager > View > Linux kernels. Select 4.19 on the left pane, then click on each kernel that shows installed in the right pane then click on Uninstall or Remove or whatever.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

MrEen wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:57 pm ....
Just uninstall the 4.19 kernels that are installed and you won't get any more updates for them. Installing 5.6 doesn't uninstall 4.19.

I assume it's the same method as the Ubuntu based systems. Update Manager > View > Linux kernels. Select 4.19 on the left pane, then click on each kernel that shows installed in the right pane then click on Uninstall or Remove or whatever.
This feature is only available in Linux Mint, not in LMDE.
You can uninstall the kernel (linux-image-xxx) either with 'apt remove' or using the synaptic package manager.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Thanks jwiz. Lesson learned. :D
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

From Mint, run this command and post it, by copy and paste between the code tags selecting the symbol </> at forum's text editor, the outcome will look like the command.

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l ; lsblk -f

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”