LMDE4 is Rock Solid, why other distros so ugly!!!

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
griffintwosix
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE4 is Rock Solid, why other distros so ugly!!!

Post by griffintwosix »

I have been a Linux user for quite sometime now, (Fedora Core 3) I switched from distro to distro, finally ending with OpenSuSE 10 and up. But this year i had tried LinuxMint 20 and love it. Its polished and new. But still had Ubuntu in the back end. I had never really jumped the Ubuntu bandwagon. So when I had installed LMDE4 on my old 2010 Imac... I have come to love it even more than ever. But I still at a lost as to why so many distros are not following Mints ways. Your distro is wonderfully made, and sharp looking. Its rich in features and added apps that help give it a look and feel of a true Linux experience should be. I know I am going to hear it from all the hard core Linux people on this. We all do not sit around wanting to type up what a mouse can do. You keep typing and I keep clicking. Make it yours and I keep it mine. Simple and true desktop what alot of people need. The other desktop distros are so ugly, and well to hard to figure out. I like debian, but after three days of trying to get it to load up on this old mac. I give it a big no thanks. Im tired of the "you need to compile it to get it". I got it, just do not want it that way. I want it to work out of the box. Ready to do what I want and how I want.

I fell in love with the green with suse, but then they went blue. So keep running mint team. I just wanted to say thanks LinuxMint team on a very well done job with your distro.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LMDE4 is Rock Solid, why other distros so ugly!!!

Post by antikythera »

Looks are subjective but any distribution can have a different theme applied. Green for OpenSUSE may no longer be the default but it is still an option if you know where to look in settings.

I agree Mint is fairly polished out of the box and comes with a nice range of colours for it's icon sets but the two underlying themes are the same. Mint-X which is more traditional with gradients or Mint-Y which is flat and modern.

However, it doesn't stop people from doing their own thing and not everyone here uses the default Mint Themes either including myself.

You can customise the look of any desktop environment on any distribution and your choices are not limited to colour alone either. You are only limited by your imagination ;)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
David Chiang
Level 3
Level 3

Post by David Chiang »

griffintwosix wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:04 pmThe other desktop distros are so ugly, and well to hard to figure out.
That's simply wrong! There are enough examples of well-designed distros that can be extremely impressive in their conception. Especially when it comes to installation in older systems with limited resources, LXLE is one of the most elegant distros worth trying. Each distro has its own target group and its special purpose and focus, the design of the user interface or the desktop is up to you. The freedom in setting up an operating system now also has its requirements regarding the operational effort. If you have high demands, you should be ready to take on the necessary work under these circumstances. If you want something pre-assembled that doesn't require any effort, then stick with MacOS! :roll:
LMDE 5 Elsie (64-bit), Linux Kernel 5.10.0, Cinnamon 5.6.8, inxi 3.3.28;
HTPC: ASUS TUF B450M-Pro Gaming, 3.6 GHz AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8 cores),
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100, 2 × 4 TiB Seagate BarraCuda ES.3, 4 × 16 GiB HyperX Predator DDR4;
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

why other distros so ugly!!!
I used to love XFCE but that is starting to look old and dated unless it's heavily modified and Compiz looks like something from windows 3.1. :P

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”