[SOLVED] LMDE 4 Xfce

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bjo_rii

[SOLVED] LMDE 4 Xfce

Post by bjo_rii »

Greetings :)

I was wondering if it was possible to release LMDE 4 in Linux Mint's own Xfce?

Thank you.

Regards
bjo_rii
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: LMDE 4 Xfce

Post by jimallyn »

I don't speak officially for Linux Mint, but as I understand it, the (short) answer to your question is yes, it is possible. A longer answer would be that the developers don't see a pressing need or demand for it, and have plenty enough other stuff to do, so it's not likely to happen any time soon. However, it is possible for you to install LMDE with the default Cinnamon and then install XFCE yourself. Then when you boot, you will have the opportunity to boot into either XFCE or Cinnamon, as you choose. If I were going to do this, I would probably confirm that XFCE ran well and met my needs, then remove Cinnamon. Warning: at various times, people have recommended against installing additional desktop environments. However, when I first started using Linux, the distro I was using came with two different desktop environments, and it worked quite well. A few years ago I added XFCE to the Cinnamon install I had been using and had no problems with it. As always, your mileage may vary.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

fwiw I use lmde4 with both Cinnamon and MATE desktop environments and all is peachy, so I expect xfce will be nice also, I will do it and report back with my findings----tomorrow
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

If you do install LMDE4 and then a different desktop to use instead, this post may help for the cleanup process even if you don't go with MATE yourself

viewtopic.php?p=1819542#p1819542
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

And here's a link to a thread I created a long time ago about LMDE3 as xfce in place of cinnamon.
It worked very well and I subsequentially did the same in LMDE4 with no major problems.
viewtopic.php?f=251&t=285255

Worth a try, I think.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I think LMDE4 with xfce should run quite well on that, but if not I suppose you could try LXDE which is probably the lightest DE normally available.
Have you also considered just using a light window manager such as openbox or fvwm?
bjo_rii

Post by bjo_rii »

Thanks 2 all for helping me out :D

I guess by downloading Xfce, it would be like Debian with Xfce4. But I'll will try, I think it's funny 2 play around a little bit.

---

ajgreeny:
No, thats way ahead of me :lol: I only know the window manager thats preinstalled.
fadi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] LMDE 4 Xfce

Post by fadi »

I add my voice to those who ask for an xfce version for lmde. I do not think it will be too much work for the developers and it will attract those with older hardware, and you will not need to install the heavier cinnamon which will be too heavy to load to begin with and then have to clean it up after installing xfce, which may leave you with a broken dependancy or unnecassary packages.
fadi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fadi »

Thanks darknetmatrix. Steve Bannon is right, the germans are really superior.
Last edited by fadi on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

151tom wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:06 pm ...
Running a lighter desktop like Mate or Xfce would be great as Cinnamon desktop is resource hungry other than that I have no complaints.
I'm running LMDE 4 in a VirtualBox with 4GB of RAM allocated. It's surprisingly economical, about the same as Mint MATE 19.3. I can't complain about the speed either.

If you turn off all effects, which I didn't do, it should be even more economical ...
n7ekg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by n7ekg »

jimallyn wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:47 am I don't speak officially for Linux Mint, but as I understand it, the (short) answer to your question is yes, it is possible. A longer answer would be that the developers don't see a pressing need or demand for it, and have plenty enough other stuff to do, so it's not likely to happen any time soon.
Doing an internet search, it seems that there are plenty of people who want an alternative to the beautiful-but-resource-hungry Cinnamon desktop, so the developers may simply be out of touch with the community. Lots of folks who love xfce and MATE. :)

On the other hand, are the xfce4 or Mate packages even available for LMDE 4? If so, it seems it might be a simple matter to install them, then select the one you want when you re-login. :)
Founding Father, Linux OS
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

xfce on debian buster is the 4.12 version. very old! i don't like it.
but, i love cinnamon! in any case, a simple google search, and you will be shown a lot of guides to install whatever DE you want!

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”