LMDE Advanced Hardware Support

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gnuser_deb

LMDE Advanced Hardware Support

Post by gnuser_deb »

Greetings,
Enjoying LMDE so far and i read some posts about "LMDE main focus" or "rolling". I started using LMDE with debbie but i read it was a rolling distribution before then developers noticed it takes hard work for keeping stability. My question is Mint Team can provide some specific packages beside updated cinnamon ? packages are like linux kernel mesa and amd-intel firmwares. Packages are like for users who have newer hardwares. There is only one distro which tries to do that as i see right now but i think Mint could take this experience one step further.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cpedretti
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LMDE Advanced Hardware Support

Post by cpedretti »

gnuser_deb wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:13 pm Greetings,
Enjoying LMDE so far and i read some posts about "LMDE main focus" or "rolling". I started using LMDE with debbie but i read it was a rolling distribution before then developers noticed it takes hard work for keeping stability. My question is Mint Team can provide some specific packages beside updated cinnamon ? packages are like linux kernel mesa and amd-intel firmwares. Packages are like for users who have newer hardwares. There is only one distro which tries to do that as i see right now but i think Mint could take this experience one step further.
Thanks
Hello, currently only Mint 20.1 Edge and MX provides the advanced hardware support.

In my case, for full compatibility of my hardware on LMDE4, I had to install the latest stable kernel in date and the latest firmware.

While waiting for an Debbie Edge version it's always better than nothing.

HowTo for the latest kernel:

viewtopic.php?f=250&t=327897

HowTo for the latest firmware:

viewtopic.php?p=1846039#p1846039
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 32GB DDR4 RGB White - RTX4060TI O8GB White- SSD NVME Crucial P5 500GB - Mobo Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550 V2 - PSU Corsair RM750 White - Case Corsair 5000D Airflow White 7 fans AF120 ARGB - AIO Corsair H100I Cappelix 240 White
gnuser_deb

Post by gnuser_deb »

Thank you that could be useful for amd ryzen 3000 users like me. But my graphics card based on RX 5000 series, in this case can we get the latest mesa in LMDE 4 ?
chalarm

Post by chalarm »

gnuser_deb wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:33 pm Thank you that could be useful for amd ryzen 3000 users like me. But my graphics card based on RX 5000 series, in this case can we get the latest mesa in LMDE 4 ?
The only option you've got here is to... follow what the person before you said.
Anyways, most users then want the easy part and that's going the Ubuntu based Linux Mint and perhaps even take the Edge edition of it like suggested.
gnuser_deb

Post by gnuser_deb »

chalarm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:35 am
gnuser_deb wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:33 pm Thank you that could be useful for amd ryzen 3000 users like me. But my graphics card based on RX 5000 series, in this case can we get the latest mesa in LMDE 4 ?
The only option you've got here is to... follow what the person before you said.
Anyways, most users then want the easy part and that's going the Ubuntu based Linux Mint and perhaps even take the Edge edition of it like suggested.
I understand you are correct thanks chalarm. I guess that proves LMDE has more potential users than now and LMDE user base expects easy newer cpu and gpu(latest packages for hardwares) packages then probably it would be on par with ubuntu based mint distribution which is a big step for LMDE the debian based distribution also that would be a significant support for Mint team's "alternative" opinion for being debian based instead of ubuntu based.
murdokkk2525

Post by murdokkk2525 »

Open the terminal

Code: Select all

curl 'https://liquorix.net/add-liquorix-repo.sh' | sudo bash   

sudo apt-get install linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64  
Reboot the machine, then sudo update && sudo upgrade.

See whattcha got. Every time you do a regular uptdate it will auto update the work liquorix has done too (not too often)
cpedretti
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpedretti »

murdokkk2525 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:38 pm Open the terminal

curl 'https://liquorix.net/add-liquorix-repo.sh' | sudo bash   

sudo apt-get install linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64  
Reboot the machine, then sudo update && sudo upgrade.

See whattcha got. Every time you do a regular uptdate it will auto update the work liquorix has done too (not too often)
Not bad the idea of the liquorix kernel.

Next time explain how this can be beneficial, a story that laymen can judge whether or not it is useful for their needs.

Liquorix installs 2 packages in addition to the linux-image (libelf-dev - zlib1g-dev), these 2 packages corrupted the installation of wine following the activation of the i386 repositories, with the impossibility of repairing the broken packages, hence the interest in taking a snapshot before such an installation.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 32GB DDR4 RGB White - RTX4060TI O8GB White- SSD NVME Crucial P5 500GB - Mobo Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550 V2 - PSU Corsair RM750 White - Case Corsair 5000D Airflow White 7 fans AF120 ARGB - AIO Corsair H100I Cappelix 240 White

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”