[LMDE4] Kernel 4.19.0-14 has a massive changelog

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

[LMDE4] Kernel 4.19.0-14 has a massive changelog

Post by antikythera »

I started reading the changelog but glazed over after 5 Page Downs and was only a fraction of the way in. The list of changes and fixes is quite staggering but the long and short of it is that it boots and works well. IF you can't get to sleep tonight it's stored on your machine here post installation:

/usr/share/doc/linux-image-4.19.0-14-amd64/changelog.gz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [LMDE4] Kernel 4.19.0-14 has a massive changelog

Post by SMG »

Edited to delete incorrect info.
Last edited by SMG on Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Thanks for trying but it's not the same at all, the changelog you linked to is from 2019 and specifically for an Ubuntu compiled kernel for Disco Dingo.

4.19.0-14 metapackage and it's target components are not even listed on the Debian site yet, only the 4.19.0-13 is still. I don't have backports enabled so maybe the details will be uploaded by the developers later today. It's still around midday on the West coast of USA.

The update manager can't load the changelogs for Debian kernels and nor can Synaptic Package Manager.

EDIT - There is this security announcement though and the update delivers the fixes: https://lwn.net/Articles/844709/
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

antikythera wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:13 pmThe update manager can't load the changelogs for Debian kernels and nor can Synaptic Package Manager.
I'd have to wait for a new one to verify, but that may be the case for Ubuntu kernels as well. I know there are certain updates which indicate the changelog is not available and that may have been why I started going to that webpage to find info.

Note: I deleted my erroneous info.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I'm still getting the same occasional issue with a memory leak, so it is not one fixed by the kernel update even though the list mentioned a few fixes for memory leaks. I still believe therefore they are caused by Cinnamon 4.8.x but am struggling to find the culprit as there's no errors occurring in the logs when the cinnamon --replace process starts consuming RAM.

Possible pattern with external media handling but even then it doesn't happen every time I use and subsequently eject a USB drive. However that does seem the most repeatable way so far of causing the leak.

Other than that which is sorted by the CTRL+Alt+ESC combination as and when it happens the system is running nicely.

Additionally it never occurred with Cinnamon 4.6.x

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”