LMDE 4 Debbie 32-bit hangs on rebooting

Questions about other topics and general discussion about LMDE
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
logomage
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE 4 Debbie 32-bit hangs on rebooting

Post by logomage »

I have just installed LMDE 4 Debbie on this old 32-bit Acer Aspire 1 netbook, ran the massive update required immediately, added the User & Rubbish Bin applets & changed the background - and now I find that it hangs when I attempt to reboot it, and then I have to switch it off and on with the power button!

It powers off okay with the Power Off/Shut Down buttons in the main menu or the User applet, and boots up fine when switched on - it's just rebooting which doesn't work that makes it hang!

This appears to me to be a Debian linked or kernel update problem, as I had exactly the same problem before after (a) trying to run SparkyLinux on this netbook, and also (b) trying to run LMDE 4 Debbie with the MATE desktop on it.

Any help would be gratefully received with eternal thanks!

logomage
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hazel-bunny
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE 4 Debbie 32-bit hangs on rebooting

Post by hazel-bunny »

It would be helpful if you add the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxx
in your question. Just type it in a terminal & copy the output.
I had the same problem, but getting the latest kernel from backports and solution 2 from here helped me.
FYI, you can get the latest backports kernel by typing

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -t buster-backports linux-image-i386 linux-headers-i386 firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree
in a terminal window.
Hardware problems on LMDE? Solution:
sudo apt-get install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 firmware-linux firmware-misc-nonfree

To use a version of LMDE after EOL, replace mint's Firefox with debian's one

Return to “Other Topics & Open Discussion”